Anonymous And Secure Forum

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Welsh Dog, Sep 27, 2010.

  1. Welsh Dog

    Welsh Dog Guest

    Help please. I need to create a web based forum where people can post
    anonymously and their data (PMs, email addresses, etc.) can't be
    compromised. I read about spammers, attacks and all other things that
    concern me. I don't want Google bots to see the forum (HTTPS?). The
    forum will be participated by professionals who in giving their
    opinions could be professionally compromised. Nothing illegal.

    I am so-so technically, would be the only Moderator.

    Any suggestions appreciated including a forum software that would be
    out of the box the most secure.

    Who should host the forum (server)? How to set it up anonymously
    (protecting myself)?

    Thanks to all!
    --
    Don't just whinge - make your opinion count!
    Australian Opinion
    Welsh Dog, Sep 27, 2010

  2. On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 20:29:23 -0400, Welsh Dog wrote:

    > Help please. I need to create a web based forum where people can post
    > anonymously and their data (PMs, email addresses, etc.) can't be
    > compromised. I read about spammers, attacks and all other things that
    > concern me. I don't want Google bots to see the forum (HTTPS?). The
    > forum will be participated by professionals who in giving their
    > opinions could be professionally compromised. Nothing illegal.
    >
    > I am so-so technically, would be the only Moderator.

    You got a problem. What you are considering is a highly technical
    course of action. Spammers alone can be a considerable nuisance,
    server side encryption means you are going to have to select a hosting
    company carefully, what will be the minimum requirements for passwords
    and on and on and on.

    People can post anonymously by not giving their names. You will be
    able to see their IP address, the email they use (if you register) and
    how are you going to vet the professionals from the non-professionals?

    In short, you need to hire someone who specializes in this field.
    Ari Silverstein, Sep 27, 2010

  3. x-no-archive: yes

    ok, I'm no expert

    > Help please. I need to create a web based forum where people can post
    > anonymously and their data (PMs, email addresses, etc.)

    Your host will log a user's IP address, you can't stop that.

    You can get a host in another country. They might not hand over records to
    law enforcement in your country.

    > I don't want Google bots to see the forum

    You can stop that with a robots.txt file
    http://www.webconfs.com/what-is-robots-txt-article-12.php

    > (HTTPS?)

    Get a host with a shared certificate, then you won't have to pay for one.
    It will encrypt data from the user's computer to your host, but
    that doesn't make it anonymous
    ..

    > I am so-so technically, would be the only Moderator.

    Can you upload files with FTP and configure the forum's script ?

    > Any suggestions appreciated including a forum software that would be
    > out of the box the most secure.

    It's not the software you have to worry about.

    > Who should host the forum (server)? How to set it up anonymously
    > (protecting myself)?

    Get a pre-paid "gift" credit card. It has to be the kind that lets you put a
    (fake) name and address on it. When you sign up
    for hosting, they might want that info. Since you're not having stuff mailed
    to your house, the address doesn't matter.

    If you don't want to log on from your home or office, use a computer in a
    public place. I work in a poor neighorbood
    and there are lots of mom and pop businesses that offer cheap internet
    access.....

    Or you could use a public wi-fi network......

    Here's another thing to consider....The place where you log on might have
    video surveillance. .... Your IP address can be traced back to
    XYZ public computer at ABC time/date. Out comes the surveillance tape and
    you're busted.

    Or you can pay for a VPN account.....

    But the fact remains you can't change the IP address of the posters.
    news.optonline.net, Sep 27, 2010
  4. Welsh Dog

    Welsh Dog Guest

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 20:37:49 -0400, Ari Silverstein wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 20:29:23 -0400, Welsh Dog wrote:
    >
    >> Help please. I need to create a web based forum where people can post
    >> anonymously and their data (PMs, email addresses, etc.) can't be
    >> compromised. I read about spammers, attacks and all other things that
    >> concern me. I don't want Google bots to see the forum (HTTPS?). The
    >> forum will be participated by professionals who in giving their
    >> opinions could be professionally compromised. Nothing illegal.
    >>
    >> I am so-so technically, would be the only Moderator.

    > You got a problem. What you are considering is a highly technical
    > course of action. Spammers alone can be a considerable nuisance,
    > server side encryption means you are going to have to select a hosting
    > company carefully, what will be the minimum requirements for passwords
    > and on and on and on.
    >
    > People can post anonymously by not giving their names. You will be
    > able to see their IP address, the email they use (if you register) and
    > how are you going to vet the professionals from the non-professionals?
    >
    > In short, you need to hire someone who specializes in this field.

    I know about encryption. I have run a Simple Machines forum before.
    Posters will register by their corporate email only and be verified by
    that. What else do I need to know?
    Welsh Dog, Sep 27, 2010
  5. Welsh Dog

    Welsh Dog Guest

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 21:21:09 -0400, news.optonline.net wrote:

    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > ok, I'm no expert
    >
    >> Help please. I need to create a web based forum where people can post
    >> anonymously and their data (PMs, email addresses, etc.)

    > Your host will log a user's IP address, you can't stop that.

    OK so unless they post by a proxy that's a problem.

    > You can get a host in another country. They might not hand over records to
    > law enforcement in your country.

    OK thanks.

    >> I don't want Google bots to see the forum

    > You can stop that with a robots.txt file
    > http://www.webconfs.com/what-is-robots-txt-article-12.php

    I can see why Ari sees this is complicated.

    >> (HTTPS?)

    > Get a host with a shared certificate, then you won't have to pay for one.
    > It will encrypt data from the user's computer to your host, but
    > that doesn't make it anonymous

    I was hoping HTTPS might hide the forum.

    >> I am so-so technically, would be the only Moderator.

    > Can you upload files with FTP and configure the forum's script ?

    Yes that I can do.

    >> Any suggestions appreciated including a forum software that would be
    >> out of the box the most secure.
    >>

    > It's not the software you have to worry about.

    It looks the same anyway.

    >> Who should host the forum (server)? How to set it up anonymously
    >> (protecting myself)?

    > Get a pre-paid "gift" credit card. It has to be the kind that lets you put a
    > (fake) name and address on it. When you sign up
    > for hosting, they might want that info. Since you're not having stuff mailed
    > to your house, the address doesn't matter.

    Cash?

    > If you don't want to log on from your home or office, use a computer in a
    > public place. I work in a poor neighorbood
    > and there are lots of mom and pop businesses that offer cheap internet
    > access.....

    Good!

    > Or you could use a public wi-fi network......
    >
    > Here's another thing to consider....The place where you log on might have
    > video surveillance. .... Your IP address can be traced back to
    > XYZ public computer at ABC time/date. Out comes the surveillance tape and
    > you're busted.

    Shit!

    > Or you can pay for a VPN account.....
    >
    > But the fact remains you can't change the IP address of the posters.

    Thank you for your time.
    Welsh Dog, Sep 27, 2010
  6. On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 23:30:34 -0400, Welsh Dog wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 21:21:09 -0400, news.optonline.net wrote:

    >> ok, I'm no expert
    >>
    >>> Help please. I need to create a web based forum where people can post
    >>> anonymously and their data (PMs, email addresses, etc.)

    >> Your host will log a user's IP address, you can't stop that.

    > OK so unless they post by a proxy that's a problem.

    If you are attempting to protect data, that's one thing, this you can
    do with results. If you want posting anonymity, then your posters are
    going to have to be savvy enough on their end to pull this off. That
    means they will need to access your forum via ToR.

    You can deny access to anyone who does not have an incoming IP address
    from a Tor exit node. But this isn't going to work. If you envision
    hundreds of users, having everyone of them ToR savvy is highly
    unlikely.

    Your best bet is to explain to participants that you can secure their
    data (until your host is subpoenaed), they can use several means of
    hiding their IP addresses including VPNs or ToR.

    To show your sincerity and proof the forum's credibility, hire a
    professional.
    Ari Silverstein, Sep 27, 2010
  7. Welsh Dog

    Welsh Dog Guest

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 22:57:03 -0500, Gordon Burditt wrote:

    >>Help please. I need to create a web based forum where people can post
    >>anonymously and their data (PMs, email addresses, etc.) can't be
    >>compromised. I read about spammers, attacks and all other things that
    >>concern me. I don't want Google bots to see the forum (HTTPS?). The
    >>forum will be participated by professionals who in giving their
    >>opinions could be professionally compromised. Nothing illegal.

    > This is a very difficult problem, depending on what it is you wish
    > to keep secure. Could someone be fired or arrested merely for
    > getting caught accessing your forum?

    Fired is possible, arrested no.

    > Do you intend for your forum to *ever* send emails to participants
    > (other than a message board hosted on the forum)? That's pretty
    > damning to the recipient, regardless of what's *in* the message.
    > I suggest that no email addresses should be collected or used. No
    > messages leave the forum host unless the user reading it saves the
    > message, and that's an encrypted channel.

    No emails from the forum.

    > Expect your user base to contain moles. I assume you will use
    > account handles that don't resemble the identity of users. Still,
    > if I can initiate an email to a user (even if it's "you have a new
    > message on the Whistle Forum") by sending a forum message to his
    > handle, a moderately sophisticated Big Brother, or your ISP, could
    > correlate when you sent the message and who a message went out to,
    > unless there's a *lot* of traffic or the forum introduces random
    > delays (say, up to a week) in message delivery. Traffic analysis
    > is a bitch.

    Hmmmmmm, OK, not good.

    >>I am so-so technically, would be the only Moderator.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions appreciated including a forum software that would be
    >>out of the box the most secure.

    > That's a strong indication that you're going to get the participants
    > in this forum in trouble, intentionally or not.

    I see what you mean.

    >>Who should host the forum (server)? How to set it up anonymously
    >>(protecting myself)?

    > Unless YOU host it, you can pretty much assume that the host is working
    > for Big Brother, or someone who has received a National Security Letter
    > from him. If YOU host it, you can be pretty sure you'll get one directly.

    What? Why would I expect that?
    Welsh Dog, Sep 27, 2010
  8. Welsh Dog

    Welsh Dog Guest

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:50:53 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio wrote:

    >> Help please. I need to create a web based forum where people can post
    >> anonymously and their data (PMs, email addresses, etc.) can't be
    >> compromised. I read about spammers, attacks and all other things that
    >> concern me. I don't want Google bots to see the forum (HTTPS?). The
    >> forum will be participated by professionals who in giving their
    >> opinions could be professionally compromised. Nothing illegal.

    >> I am so-so technically, would be the only Moderator.

    >> Any suggestions appreciated including a forum software that would be
    >> out of the box the most secure.

    >> Who should host the forum (server)? How to set it up anonymously
    >> (protecting myself)?

    >> Thanks to all!

    >> --
    >> Don't just whinge - make your opinion count!
    >> Australian Opinion
    >> http://australianopinion.com.au

    > Don't really know that much about this kind of thing, but how
    > about a Tor hidden service forum? Would that work?

    It would work. My concern is that TOR would minimize my user base.
    Welsh Dog, Sep 27, 2010
  9. On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 14:26:49 -0400, Welsh Dog wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:50:53 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio wrote:
    >
    >>> Help please. I need to create a web based forum where people can post
    >>> anonymously and their data (PMs, email addresses, etc.) can't be
    >>> compromised. I read about spammers, attacks and all other things that
    >>> concern me. I don't want Google bots to see the forum (HTTPS?). The
    >>> forum will be participated by professionals who in giving their
    >>> opinions could be professionally compromised. Nothing illegal.

    >>> I am so-so technically, would be the only Moderator.

    >>> Any suggestions appreciated including a forum software that would be
    >>> out of the box the most secure.

    >>> Who should host the forum (server)? How to set it up anonymously
    >>> (protecting myself)?

    >>> Thanks to all!

    >>> --
    >>> Don't just whinge - make your opinion count!
    >>> Australian Opinion
    >>> http://australianopinion.com.au

    >> Don't really know that much about this kind of thing, but how
    >> about a Tor hidden service forum? Would that work?

    > It would work. My concern is that TOR would minimize my user base.

    If your Users are unwilling to participate or unable to take on their
    own anonymity, then you are pretty much screwed.

    Oner thought, something I have seen work at the intra-corporate level
    anonymous mailing list via Zimbra.
    --
    9ec4c12949a4f31474f299058ce2b22a
    Ari Silverstein, Sep 27, 2010
  10. Welsh Dog wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 22:57:03 -0500, Gordon Burditt wrote:
    >
    >>Help please. I need to create a web based forum where people
    >> can post anonymously....

    There used to be a service where people could send messages using the
    remailer network that ended up as a blog post.

    Something like that might work, but I would not trust tor to read the blog
    or forum. But you could use something like Zax's setup where you send a
    message using the remailer network and request a page from a website, and
    have the page sent to your nym.

    Awkward but secure.
    Anonymous Remailer (austria), Sep 28, 2010
  11. On 2010-09-27, news.optonline.net <yy> wrote:

    >> I don't want Google bots to see the forum

    > You can stop that with a robots.txt file
    > http://www.webconfs.com/what-is-robots-txt-article-12.php

    That may not always help. Even if you use robots.txt to tell Google
    not to index your site, they may still index links *to* your site from
    other pages and include them in their search results.

    >> (HTTPS?)

    > Get a host with a shared certificate, then you won't have to pay for one.

    Or get your own domain and a free cert for it. Someone just recently
    linked to http://www.startssl.com/ here.

    > It will encrypt data from the user's computer to your host, but
    > that doesn't make it anonymous.

    Also, note that an HTTPS certificate will only help against
    adversaries that can't:

    a) intercept the data before it's encrypted (e.g. via spyware on the
    user's computer),

    b) intercept the data after it's decrypted (e.g. by hacking your
    forum software, or subpoenaing your hosting provider),

    c) get their hands on your private cert (same as above), or

    d) convince (= trick, browbeat, subpoena, etc.) a trusted certificate
    authority (any of the hundreds around the world will do; so might
    an internal CA on a corporate network) into issuing them a fake
    cert.

    That is, it might help against random hackers eavesdropping on public
    WiFi, or against corporations with sufficiently lax computer security
    practices. It's unlikely to help much against government agencies or
    against corporations that monitor their employees' internet use
    closely enough.

    Also, as noted above, HTTPS won't help at all against an adversary who
    only cares about the fact that someone's been visiting your site, not
    about what they may have read or posted there. It provides
    encryption, not anonymity (and even the encryption leaks data about
    things like the amount of data sent each way and the times when it was
    sent).

    >> Who should host the forum (server)? How to set it up anonymously
    >> (protecting myself)?

    > If you don't want to log on from your home or office, use a computer in a
    > public place. I work in a poor neighorbood
    > and there are lots of mom and pop businesses that offer cheap internet
    > access.....
    >
    > Or you could use a public wi-fi network......
    >
    > Here's another thing to consider....The place where you log on might have
    > video surveillance. .... Your IP address can be traced back to
    > XYZ public computer at ABC time/date. Out comes the surveillance tape and
    > you're busted.

    This is something that an anonymizer like TOR might solve. But again,
    it depends on who you're up against.

    > But the fact remains you can't change the IP address of the posters.

    Still, you could at least try to make sure that your software (and/or
    your hosting provider) doesn't needlessly log them. This may not stop
    a sufficiently clever/resourceful adversary from setting up their own
    logging, but it might stop them from finding out a former user's IP
    address after the fact.

    The rest is basically up to educating your users.

    --
    Ilmari Karonen
    To reply by e-mail, please replace ".invalid" with ".net" in address.
    Ilmari Karonen, Sep 28, 2010
  12. On Sun, 26 Sep 2010, Welsh Dog <> wrote:
    >Help please. I need to create a web based forum where people can post
    >anonymously and their data (PMs, email addresses, etc.) can't be
    >compromised. I read about spammers, attacks and all other things that
    >concern me. I don't want Google bots to see the forum (HTTPS?). The
    >forum will be participated by professionals who in giving their
    >opinions could be professionally compromised. Nothing illegal.
    >
    >I am so-so technically, would be the only Moderator.
    >
    >Any suggestions appreciated including a forum software that would be
    >out of the box the most secure.
    >
    >Who should host the forum (server)? How to set it up anonymously
    >(protecting myself)?

    I suggest looking into using Freenet 0.5, also known as Freenet Classic
    Opennet. Anonymous communications, websites and file sharing network with
    an encrypted, distributed data store.

    From the sourceforge page:
    >FCON is designed for complete anonymnity in order to provide true freedom
    >of speech and freedom from censorship and oppression. FCON is a tool for
    >true, absolute freedom online. FCON allows the posting of messages,
    >websites (called 'freesites'), blogs ('flogs'), and even larger media or
    >other files. It also ensures that it is near impossible to know who
    >originally posted a file or who has downloaded it. However, it is still
    >possible to maintain a unique identity within the FCON network itself. A
    >key feature of FCON is the distributed data store - when you install an
    >FCON node you will allocate a portion of your own computer's hard drive to
    >store encrypted files from other users on the network.

    Freenet Classic OpenNet (FCON)
    http://fcon.sourceforge.net/

    http://peculiarplace.com/freenet
    Dave U. Random, Sep 28, 2010
  13. Welsh Dog

    Welsh Dog Guest

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 13:48:17 +0000 (UTC), Ilmari Karonen wrote:

> [...]

    >> access.....
    >>
    >> Or you could use a public wi-fi network......
    >>
    >> Here's another thing to consider....The place where you log on might have
    >> video surveillance. .... Your IP address can be traced back to
    >> XYZ public computer at ABC time/date. Out comes the surveillance tape and
    >> you're busted.

    > This is something that an anonymizer like TOR might solve. But again,
    > it depends on who you're up against.
    >
    >> But the fact remains you can't change the IP address of the posters.

    > Still, you could at least try to make sure that your software (and/or
    > your hosting provider) doesn't needlessly log them. This may not stop
    > a sufficiently clever/resourceful adversary from setting up their own
    > logging, but it might stop them from finding out a former user's IP
    > address after the fact.
    >
    > The rest is basically up to educating your users.

    I appreciate the info, really good stuff, thanks for your time.
    Welsh Dog, Sep 29, 2010
  14. Welsh Dog

    Anonymous Guest

    In article <i7qnle$rgu$-september.org>
    Welsh Dog <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:50:53 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio wrote:
    >
    > > Don't really know that much about this kind of thing, but how
    > > about a Tor hidden service forum? Would that work?

    > It would work. My concern is that TOR would minimize my user base.

    But it is, *by far*, the best choice. You have to weigh how important
    security is against ease of use - if it's important enough you and your
    users will take the extra (and not too difficult) step to install and
    configure Tor and learn how to use it.
    Anonymous, Sep 30, 2010
  15. Welsh Dog

    Mark Guest

    On Sep 27, 12:01 am, Ari Silverstein <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 23:30:34 -0400, Welsh Dog wrote:
    > > On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 21:21:09 -0400, news.optonline.net wrote:
    > >> ok, I'm no expert

    > >> Your host will log a user's IP address, you can't stop that.

    > > OK so unless they post by a proxy that's a problem.

    > If you are attempting to protect data, that's one thing, this you can
    > do with results. If you want posting anonymity, then your posters are
    > going to have to be savvy enough on their end to pull this off. That
    > means they will need to access your forum via ToR.
    >
    > You can deny access to anyone who does not have an incoming IP address
    > from a Tor exit node. But this isn't going to work. If you envision
    > hundreds of users, having everyone of them ToR savvy is highly
    > unlikely.
    >
    > Your best bet is to explain to participants that you can secure their
    > data (until your host is subpoenaed), they can use several means of
    > hiding their IP addresses including VPNs or ToR. That's what I do
    > in my full time career as a usenet asshole. I hide my identity and
    > troll all the groups I can, trying to fool myself into believing that
    > I'm not a 316lb loser on disability with bipolar disorder.
    >
    > To show your sincerity and proof the forum's credibility, hire a
    > professional. I tried to hire a hooker with syphilis, but even she
    > was sickened by my ugly fat ass.

    WARNING: Using a fake name, Ari's premise is simple... "a lie is
    as good as the truth if he can get someone to believe it." But
    heed this warning; he has tried all of this before. Just look
    back on the various newsgroups, and there he will be in all his
    pathetic ugliness.

    http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.aviation.piloting/2010-07/msg00204.html
    Mark, Oct 18, 2010