Annoying

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Nov 29, 2003.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    I wanted to set up two PCs to use the same keyboard and screen.....so i
    added the switch-box cables to (powered off) system "A". "A" had been
    running fine for months.

    Then connected up system "B" to the switch box.

    Then plugged the actual screen and keyboard cabled to the switch box.

    Switched to "A" - poweered up the system (RH 9 Linux). All OK.

    Switched to "B" - powered up the system (Gentoo 1.4 Linux)

    ......and it went fine to just after USB and PCI Hotplugging
    start-up............

    ......and stoppd cold. Repeat as often as required - same result.

    Hmmm.

    Got out a SuSE 9.2 install CD - and boot up.

    Gets to Floppy drive init......and stops cold. Repeat as required.

    Hmmm.

    Disconnect floppy drive......and all system boot fine and work OK.

    But I didn't touch the friggin' floppy drive, mobo or *anything* inside the
    box. The floppy drive seems to have just crapped out after a
    power-off/power-up.

    Weird.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers

    steve, Nov 29, 2003

  2. steve

    T.N.O. Guest

    steve wrote:
    > But I didn't touch the friggin' floppy drive, mobo or *anything* inside the
    > box. The floppy drive seems to have just crapped out after a
    > power-off/power-up.
    > Weird.

    It happens, deal with it.

    If it had been windows, it would have probably balked while still
    running, something to do with the way that it mounts drives, and "seeks"
    them on and off... but Linux only mounts them when media is added.

    It probably(well, definately) died sometime after you last used it.

    T.N.O., Nov 29, 2003

  3. steve

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:32:03 +1300, steve <> wrote:

    >I wanted to set up two PCs to use the same keyboard and screen.....so i
    >added the switch-box cables to (powered off) system "A". "A" had been
    >running fine for months.
    >
    >Then connected up system "B" to the switch box.
    >
    >Then plugged the actual screen and keyboard cabled to the switch box.
    >
    >Switched to "A" - poweered up the system (RH 9 Linux). All OK.
    >
    >Switched to "B" - powered up the system (Gentoo 1.4 Linux)
    >
    >.....and it went fine to just after USB and PCI Hotplugging
    >start-up............
    >
    >.....and stoppd cold. Repeat as often as required - same result.
    >
    >Hmmm.
    >
    >Got out a SuSE 9.2 install CD - and boot up.
    >
    >Gets to Floppy drive init......and stops cold. Repeat as required.
    >
    >Hmmm.
    >
    >Disconnect floppy drive......and all system boot fine and work OK.
    >
    >But I didn't touch the friggin' floppy drive, mobo or *anything* inside the
    >box. The floppy drive seems to have just crapped out after a
    >power-off/power-up.

    What's a floppy drive?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.

    Enkidu, Nov 29, 2003
  4. steve

    steve Guest

    Enkidu allegedly said:

    >>Disconnect floppy drive......and all system boot fine and work OK.
    >>
    >>But I didn't touch the friggin' floppy drive, mobo or anything inside the
    >>box. The floppy drive seems to have just crapped out after a
    >>power-off/power-up.
    >>

    > What's a floppy drive?

    :)

    A.K.A. "sneaker net".

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers

    steve, Nov 29, 2003
  5. steve

    steve Guest

    T.N.O. allegedly said:

    > steve wrote:
    >> But I didn't touch the friggin' floppy drive, mobo or *anything* inside
    >> the box. The floppy drive seems to have just crapped out after a
    >> power-off/power-up.
    >> Weird.

    > It happens, deal with it.
    >
    > If it had been windows, it would have probably balked while still
    > running, something to do with the way that it mounts drives, and "seeks"
    > them on and off... but Linux only mounts them when media is added.
    >
    > It probably(well, definately) died sometime after you last used it.

    I don't think I ever actually did use it. :)

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers

    steve, Nov 29, 2003
  6. steve

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:57:35 +1300, steve <> wrote:

    >Enkidu allegedly said:
    >
    >>>Disconnect floppy drive......and all system boot fine and work OK.
    >>>
    >>>But I didn't touch the friggin' floppy drive, mobo or anything inside the
    >>>box. The floppy drive seems to have just crapped out after a
    >>>power-off/power-up.
    >>>

    >> What's a floppy drive?

    >:)
    >
    >A.K.A. "sneaker net".

    Oh, you mean one of those little USB pen drives? Why do you call it a
    floppy? <grin>

    Enkidu, Nov 30, 2003
  7. steve

    Dave Taylor Guest

    The floppy drive seems to have just crapped out after
    > a power-off/power-up.
    >
    > Weird.

    This is why I turn off "Floppy Seek" in the bios. If it is on, the MB
    tries to move the floppy head every time it posts, so the floppy eventually
    wears out.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Dec 1, 2003
  8. steve

    steve Guest

    Dave Taylor allegedly said:

    > The floppy drive seems to have just crapped out after
    >> a power-off/power-up.
    >>
    >> Weird.
    >>

    > This is why I turn off "Floppy Seek" in the bios. If it is on, the MB
    > tries to move the floppy head every time it posts, so the floppy
    > eventually wears out.
    > Ciao, Dave

    Ta. Good advice.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers

    steve, Dec 1, 2003
  9. On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 13:43:49 +1300, steve wrote:

    > Dave Taylor allegedly said:
    >
    >> The floppy drive seems to have just crapped out after
    >>> a power-off/power-up.
    >>>
    >>> Weird.
    >>>

    >> This is why I turn off "Floppy Seek" in the bios. If it is on, the MB
    >> tries to move the floppy head every time it posts, so the floppy
    >> eventually wears out.

    Uh.....

    Bad move.

    Fan on PSU drawing air out of the case,
    air being sucked in every available crevice - including the floppy.
    air containing dust....

    Drives which don't periodically seek, clog up with dust - sometimes taking
    irreplaceable backup disks with them.

    Ask Linux owners about this. The systems don't crash much and one of the
    biggest bugbears is premature failure of the floppy drives through lack of
    exercise.

    $HINT: man diskseekd - it prolongs the drive's life.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 2, 2003
  10. steve

    steve Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler allegedly said:

    > Drives which don't periodically seek, clog up with dust - sometimes taking
    > irreplaceable backup disks with them.
    >
    > Ask Linux owners about this. The systems don't crash much and one of the
    > biggest bugbears is premature failure of the floppy drives through lack of
    > exercise.

    I think that is what happened to me. I should tape over the front of my FDs
    when not in use....to keep the dust out.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers

    steve, Dec 2, 2003
  11. steve

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 13:43:49 +1300, steve wrote:
    >
    >> Dave Taylor allegedly said:
    >>
    >>> The floppy drive seems to have just crapped out after

    >>> This is why I turn off "Floppy Seek" in the bios. If it is on, the
    >>> MB tries to move the floppy head every time it posts, so the floppy
    >>> eventually wears out.

    > Uh.....
    >
    > Bad move.
    >
    > Fan on PSU drawing air out of the case,
    > air being sucked in every available crevice - including the floppy.
    > air containing dust....
    >
    > Drives which don't periodically seek, clog up with dust - sometimes
    > taking irreplaceable backup disks with them.
    >
    > Ask Linux owners about this. The systems don't crash much and one of
    > the biggest bugbears is premature failure of the floppy drives through
    > lack of exercise.
    >
    > $HINT: man diskseekd - it prolongs the drive's life.

    Thanks for the tip.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Dec 3, 2003