Annoying XP gremlin problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nomad111, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. Nomad111

    Nomad111 Guest

    Hello there.

    I would like someone to give me a hand in solving a XP start up
    problem. I've done my homework in trying to find this little gremlin
    and now using newsgroup as one of my last options.

    A while ago when I powered up the beast here, everything was loading
    up fine then i realized that the task bar/start menu was frozen and
    when i passed the mouse cursor over it, it would turn into a hourglass
    icon. I waited to see if it would "kick out" like a similar prob i
    had. It didn't. After bubblin around for a few days i think i narrowed
    it down to something along the lines of the documents and settings
    regisrty line. I have fix-it and every time a run " Registry Fixer "
    The exact 21 lines come up programs, desktop, favorites, nethood, my
    documents, printhood, recent, sendto, start menu, templates. one in
    Localservice and one in Networkservice andone StashIMAPI file. And
    every time i properly link it back to original state it works fine.
    And every time the exact thing happens from bootup, tothe task
    bar/start menu. Its like when i fix the broken link after the fact,the
    bootup process cant find this registry line and the problem starts all
    over again. Is the problem in a ini file and if so which one and how
    do i correct it? if not? then I TOTALLY dont know what im talkin about
    and then deperatly need help q:')->-<
    PLZ n TIA!!

    Nomad111, Sep 24, 2003

  2. Nomad111

    al Guest

    Hi
    maybe you have turned something important of that's needed for startmenu
    taskbar if you have closed down some of the progs windows load by default,
    god luck
    al

    al, Sep 24, 2003

  3. Nomad111

    andre Guest

    had a similar problem
    culprit was norton antivirus update.
    i removed norton and did clean install problem gone

    andre, Sep 24, 2003
  4. Nomad111

    Gooie Guest

    Re: Annoying XP gremlin problem " Found It "

    It was ( in a nut shell ) Mcafee ativirus latest update version, It
    installed via hidden updater. Buggered up the bootup procedure in its
    own and the windowsys32 ini files. thx for the help :)

    Gooie, Sep 25, 2003