    printers. ME won't even show up in its own "Network Places". Print/File sharing
    is installed & enabled on all 3, TCP/IP is the only protocol.

    Any clues?

    Skid, Oct 14, 2003

  2. Skid

    cowboyz Guest

    "Skid" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Checked out this peer-to-peer LAN today. The ME box cannot see the XP pro

    & 98
    > boxes, and they can't see the ME box. You can ping all of them no trouble.
    > They're all in the exact same workgroup, same subnet, etc, can access the

    net
    > via Dynalink router... just the f&*^ing ME box can't see the others to use

    their
    > printers. ME won't even show up in its own "Network Places". Print/File

    sharing
    > is installed & enabled on all 3, TCP/IP is the only protocol.
    >
    > Any clues?

    Have you got a folder shared on the ME machine? I have found ME not liking
    networks unless it shares something....

    cowboyz, Oct 14, 2003

  3. Skid

    Gooseman Guest

    Has the ME box got any kinda firewall set up?.. I had the same problem & it
    turned out to be a firewall..turned off the firewall & bingo everyone could
    see each other

    Gooseman, Oct 14, 2003
  4. In article <>,
    says...
    > Checked out this peer-to-peer LAN today. The ME box cannot see the XP pro & 98
    > boxes, and they can't see the ME box. You can ping all of them no trouble.
    > They're all in the exact same workgroup, same subnet, etc, can access the net
    > via Dynalink router... just the f&*^ing ME box can't see the others to use their
    > printers. ME won't even show up in its own "Network Places". Print/File sharing
    > is installed & enabled on all 3, TCP/IP is the only protocol.
    >
    > Any clues?

    If they can ping each other then obviously the network is operational. So
    you have one of those browsemaster problems <sigh>.

    As somebody already said, make sure you have something shared on the ME
    machine, that could be the problem.

    Next, you might try "find computer" on the ME machine. Browsemaster can
    under certain circumstances take a small eternity to initialize the first
    time (while the machines negotiate who is master and who is slave) - I
    have heard of times up to 20 minutes! "find computer" will abreviate this
    process.

    If that doesn't turn up anything, you could try installing NETBEUI
    protocol. That _often_ fixes this problem on '98 machines.

    Lastly, and maybe you should try this first: Let XP make a 'network setup
    disk' and run it on the ME machine. That works surprisingly well <grin>.
    Got the network going when all else failed for me a couple of times...

    h.t.h. -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Oct 14, 2003
  5. Skid

    Skid Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 03:19:30 +1300, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> Checked out this peer-to-peer LAN today. The ME box cannot see the XP pro & 98
    >> boxes, and they can't see the ME box. You can ping all of them no trouble.
    >> They're all in the exact same workgroup, same subnet, etc, can access the net
    >> via Dynalink router... just the f&*^ing ME box can't see the others to use their
    >> printers. ME won't even show up in its own "Network Places". Print/File sharing
    >> is installed & enabled on all 3, TCP/IP is the only protocol.
    >>
    >> Any clues?

    >If they can ping each other then obviously the network is operational. So
    >you have one of those browsemaster problems <sigh>.
    >
    >As somebody already said, make sure you have something shared on the ME
    >machine, that could be the problem.

    I'm pretty sure there's a shared printer on it. Would that do, or does ME prefer
    a directory to be shared?

    >Next, you might try "find computer" on the ME machine. Browsemaster can
    >under certain circumstances take a small eternity to initialize the first
    >time (while the machines negotiate who is master and who is slave) - I
    >have heard of times up to 20 minutes! "find computer" will abreviate this
    >process.
    >
    >If that doesn't turn up anything, you could try installing NETBEUI
    >protocol. That _often_ fixes this problem on '98 machines.
    >
    >Lastly, and maybe you should try this first: Let XP make a 'network setup
    >disk' and run it on the ME machine. That works surprisingly well <grin>.
    >Got the network going when all else failed for me a couple of times...

    Might give that a go. You feel a right noob when something that should take 2
    minutes takes 2 hrs of mucking around, and it still doesn't work ;-)

    Skid, Oct 14, 2003