Annoying URL behaviour in Firefox 1.0

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by WordUP, Jan 23, 2005.

  1. WordUP

    WordUP Guest

    I love Firefox and cringe whenever I have to use IE on the work PC, but
    there is something bugging me and after tons of searches I couldn't
    come up with an answer.

    I have set firefox to launch a new tab when I type a URL into the
    location bar (address bar). Firefox then replaces the URL displayed for
    the original tab with the one I entered to get the new tab.

    To reproduce:
    - Activate the checkbox in Tools/Options/Tabbed Browsing/Load the
    following in new tabs: URLs in the address bar
    - type google.com in the location bar
    - a new tab opens with Google. Location bar reads
    http://www.google.com/
    - click on the original tab (probably this one) and you'll see
    google.com in the location bar

    I know that I can click in the location bar and hit Esc, but it's still
    annoying.

    Does anyone know a way to make Firefox always display the URL of the
    tab you're currently viewing in the location bar?

    Thanks
    WordUP, Jan 23, 2005

  2. WordUP wrote:
    > I love Firefox and cringe whenever I have to use IE on the work PC, but
    > there is something bugging me and after tons of searches I couldn't
    > come up with an answer.
    >
    > I have set firefox to launch a new tab when I type a URL into the
    > location bar (address bar). Firefox then replaces the URL displayed for
    > the original tab with the one I entered to get the new tab.
    >
    > To reproduce:
    > - Activate the checkbox in Tools/Options/Tabbed Browsing/Load the
    > following in new tabs: URLs in the address bar
    > - type google.com in the location bar
    > - a new tab opens with Google. Location bar reads
    > http://www.google.com/
    > - click on the original tab (probably this one) and you'll see
    > google.com in the location bar
    >
    > I know that I can click in the location bar and hit Esc, but it's still
    > annoying.
    >
    > Does anyone know a way to make Firefox always display the URL of the
    > tab you're currently viewing in the location bar?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hm.. The behavior you want is exactly the way it behves here. Whenever
    I switch from tab to tab, the adddress in the location bar changes.

    What tab related extensions do you have installed?

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 23, 2005

  3. WordUP

    WordUP Guest

    Thanks, Lee.

    The tab-related extensions are

    Configuration Mania 1.05.2004110501
    Tabbrowser Preferences 1.2.2

    Since Tabbrowser Prefs is actually the one opening a new tab from a
    typed URL in the location bar (I had forgotten about that since I've
    been using TabPrefs forever), I'm assuming it is the culprit. I've
    written to the author, let's see what he thinks.
    WordUP, Jan 23, 2005
  4. WordUP

    WordUP Guest

    I just received email from the author (boy, is he quick or what?) and
    he says it's a known bug he hasn't been able to fix.
    Still a great extension, though.
    WordUP, Jan 23, 2005
  5. WordUP wrote:
    > I just received email from the author (boy, is he quick or what?) and
    > he says it's a known bug he hasn't been able to fix.
    > Still a great extension, though.

    Great that he's supporting his extension so well. Being a dedicatred
    TBE user, I've never used TBP.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 23, 2005