    The power strip to my equipment and the outlet it is connected to are
    always live, so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

    -Chris"blindedbythelight"Coaster"!
    ChrisCoaster, Jun 6, 2008

  2. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Jun 6, 9:10 am, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message

    > > My HP model#w17e 17" widescreen monitor(packaged with my HP Pavilion
    > > 6300 tower & printer) is  recently insisting on defaulting back to
    > > factory setting for the BRIGHTNESS control: 90/100.  I usually keep
    > > Brightness and Contrast at their midpoints(50/100) and use the NVidia
    > > software to calibrate the black & white levels.

    > > This does not happen with the Contrast - just the brightness - and
    > > it's really annoying because I don't notice it until my eyes are
    > > starting to burn!  I know packaged gear like this usually cuts
    > > corners, but this is ridiculous!

    > > The power strip to my equipment and the outlet it is connected to are
    > > always live, so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

    > > -Chris"blindedbythelight"Coaster"!

    > Chris,
    >
    >  after adjusting do you SAVE the setting by pressing EXIT ( left-most
    > button )http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00881436.pdf page 14.
    > Reason I mention - my brother has NEC monitor and he would tweak it -
    > would look fine until rebooted - then display was once again a bit too big
    > for screen. He WAS adjusting , but not saving settings internally ( in
    > monitor), so reboot set it back to "default factory" not "his". Once I
    > saved his settings, THEN that was 'the new default'.
    > If that's not the problem, I'd start by turning off Nvidia software. I
    > have Nvidia on my pc and turned it off long ago - I just use the monitor
    > setting. With that turned OFF, THEN adjust all settings on monitor/save
    > your setting. Then shutdown / reboot - to check if OK.

    __________________

    Of course - I hit the left-most button to exit the menu every time.
    The brightness resets itself to 90 on random occasions - not just if I
    go in and adjust something.

    The problem cannot be the nVidia software - that software is AWESOME
    and is the only way I can properly calibrate the Brightness(dark end)
    and Contrast(white/light end) on this monitor. The Monitor's
    brightness and contrast have NO effect on any pluge or other white-
    steps pattern. They are worthless. I did post here a long time ago,
    and got no response - about if there was an internal pot or other
    control to lower the level of the backlight on this thing so that the
    effect of the monitor's controls could actually be seen.

    I did, however, use the monitor's custom color balance by keeping red
    at 95, green at 70. I lowered blue to a point such that a full medium
    gray(value R127, G127, B127 in powerpoint) window would appear gray.
    If blue too high, it would look purple, too low - it would look
    green(kind of like a tint control!). My final blue = 51.

    It's admittedly a little "warmer" than most might be used to, but it
    shows off DVD movies remarkably well along with videos from youtube
    and other sources.

    -ChrisCoaster
    ChrisCoaster, Jun 7, 2008