    leave it for a couple of hours, it boots up fine and works all day!...
    until the next morning when i switch it back on, and it all starts again.

    Thanks for any help on this.

    LarryLamb, Jan 29, 2004

  2. LarryLamb

    mike Guest

    Once again the best trouble shooting skill is process of illimination

    1. You first of all have to know what the system is supposed to do in a
    working state. ie power post power leds, fans, etc.... Do any or all of
    these occur?

    2 determine what isn't occuring and of course the result in your case is no
    video so is this caused by system failing to even power up? if you are not
    even getting the single beep or a multiple beep code as in video error then
    my first assumption would be to check power reset all cables and try again
    once again check for power fan activity led activity hard drive activity. If
    any or some of these are not happening your trouble pretty much lies within
    the hardware of the sytem.

    3. Isolate the problem Power level checks (multi meter) in order to do these
    properly you need to know what type of power supply you have ie at atx
    pentium IV etc... this is something you have determin what kind you have

    4If all power is present and still no activity in terms of leds fans and
    harddrive then you almost certainly have a mother board issue but just to
    make sure remove all cards and devices from the system except your video yes
    disconnect the keyboard and mouse too of course you will get keyboard error
    but if you see this then at least you know your video is now working and if
    it is start replacing cards and devices one at a time starting with your
    keyboard and mouse

    4 if after removing all devices you still do not see the expected results
    you have pretty much narrowed it to motherboard or video assuming all power
    from the power supply has checked out

    5 install working video card try again

    6 install working monitor

    all of the above are considering the information you provided ie no post
    beep and that you have reseated your video card

    good luck and I am sure someothers will be around to criticize my techniques
    or add some usefull information

    Remember there are no magic fixs> experience and process of illimination are
    tried tested and true troubleshooting techniques

    mike, Jan 29, 2004

  3. LarryLamb

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    LarryLamb wrote:

    > When i switch my computer on it fails to boot - no beep - and if i do a
    > soft boot, it doesn't work but the monitor goes to standby. When i switch
    > the monitor off and back on a message comes up saying 'no signal input'.
    > Have checked all cables and the video card is firmly seated. If i then
    > leave it for a couple of hours, it boots up fine and works all day!...
    > until the next morning when i switch it back on, and it all starts again.
    >
    > Thanks for any help on this.

    Had exactly the same problem this week with one of my "workhorse"
    computers Larry. After replacing the video card everything is working
    fine again. As yet I haven't had time to check whether it is the card,
    or the AGP slot at fault, but for the moment it is working OK, albeit
    with a PCI card.

    If you can beg, borrow or steal another video card to try out, my best
    guess would be that it will work fine.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Jan 29, 2004
  4. LarryLamb

    LarryLamb Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > LarryLamb wrote:
    >
    > > When i switch my computer on it fails to boot - no beep - and if i do a
    > > soft boot, it doesn't work but the monitor goes to standby. When i

    switch
    > > the monitor off and back on a message comes up saying 'no signal

    input'.
    > > Have checked all cables and the video card is firmly seated. If i then
    > > leave it for a couple of hours, it boots up fine and works all day!...
    > > until the next morning when i switch it back on, and it all starts

    again.

    > > Thanks for any help on this.
    > >

    > Had exactly the same problem this week with one of my "workhorse"
    > computers Larry. After replacing the video card everything is working
    > fine again. As yet I haven't had time to check whether it is the card,
    > or the AGP slot at fault, but for the moment it is working OK, albeit
    > with a PCI card.
    >
    > If you can beg, borrow or steal another video card to try out, my best
    > guess would be that it will work fine.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Oldus Fartus

    Thanks Oldus and Mike for your advice. Going to buy a new and better video
    card on Monday, as it's well past it's sell by date. I think that will
    sort it. Thanks again.

    LarryLamb, Jan 31, 2004