    trouble resolving this to a domain name - I want to put it in my HOSTS file
    to resolve to 127.0.0.1

    Can anyone come up with a suitable HOSTS entry to squash this??

    Adam R, Aug 22, 2004

  2. Adam R

    PseUDO Guest

    Adam R wrote:
    > Looking at ways to get rid of this annoying, bandwidth-stealing floater.
    >
    > The IP address of the server concerned is 128.121.155.199 - having a bit of
    > trouble resolving this to a domain name - I want to put it in my HOSTS file
    > to resolve to 127.0.0.1
    >
    > Can anyone come up with a suitable HOSTS entry to squash this??

    What browser are you using??, i looked at the stuff website with both
    Firefox and IE and their is no floating ad.
    Thats with XP service pack 2 installed, perhaps IE's popup blocking and
    firefox's popup blocking are stopping it from showing.

    Is it a "flash" type ad??

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Aug 23, 2004

  3. Adam R

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <Ra9Wc.4557$>,
    says...
    > Looking at ways to get rid of this annoying, bandwidth-stealing floater.
    >
    > The IP address of the server concerned is 128.121.155.199 - having a bit of
    > trouble resolving this to a domain name - I want to put it in my HOSTS file
    > to resolve to 127.0.0.1
    >
    > Can anyone come up with a suitable HOSTS entry to squash this??

    Where ? Am reading Stuff as I write and can't seem to see it. Firefox on
    XP.

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Aug 23, 2004
  4. Adam R wrote:
    > Can anyone come up with a suitable HOSTS entry to squash this??

    if you stop using IE it will go away :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 23, 2004
  5. Adam R

    John Guest

    just enter the IP address...

    John, Aug 23, 2004
  6. Adam R

    EAgle Guest

    "Adam R" <> wrote in message
    > Looking at ways to get rid of this annoying, bandwidth-stealing floater.
    >
    > The IP address of the server concerned is 128.121.155.199 - having a bit

    of
    > trouble resolving this to a domain name - I want to put it in my HOSTS

    file
    > to resolve to 127.0.0.1
    >
    > Can anyone come up with a suitable HOSTS entry to squash this??

    If they've hardcoded the IP address in the html then I cant see how adding
    anything to the host file is going to help. Since the host file can only
    help in looking up the IP address for a given host

    EAgle, Aug 23, 2004
  7. Adam R

    Nikki Guest

    Adam R wrote:
    > Looking at ways to get rid of this annoying, bandwidth-stealing floater.
    >
    > The IP address of the server concerned is 128.121.155.199 - having a bit of
    > trouble resolving this to a domain name - I want to put it in my HOSTS file
    > to resolve to 127.0.0.1
    >
    > Can anyone come up with a suitable HOSTS entry to squash this??

    Yeah, I got that too. It stopped happening when an Upgrade at work
    removed IE6 and installed IE5.5 Also broke my Google popub blocker.

    GJ

    Nikki, Aug 24, 2004
  8. Adam R

    Spoon Feeder Guest

    Adam R wrote in message news:Ra9Wc.4557$

    > Looking at ways to get rid of this annoying, bandwidth-stealing floater.
    >
    > The IP address of the server concerned is 128.121.155.199 - having a bit of
    > trouble resolving this to a domain name - I want to put it in my HOSTS file
    > to resolve to 127.0.0.1
    >
    > Can anyone come up with a suitable HOSTS entry to squash this??

    As EAgle suggested, the IP address 128.121.155.199 is hardcoded into
    the page (not the HTML but a separate JavaScript).

    You might squash the JavaScript by adding "acvsrv.mediaonenetwork.net"
    to your HOSTS file. Whether that will take out more than just the
    floater is something you will need to discover.

    Spoon Feeder, Aug 26, 2004