Annoying Internet Explorer 6.0 Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ryan, May 1, 2004.

  1. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    Hi,

    I hope I am posting this to the right group. I have suffered with a
    very annoying Internet Explorer 6 problem that is only affecting ONE
    of the three PC's I am using and I am out of ideas.

    With this ONE machine, I receive an error message when I try and bring
    up selected web sites. As an example, if I try and use a link in
    ebates.com or I try to post a new message to these groups via Google
    Groups, I receive this message:

    "The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
    might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to
    adjust your browser settings."

    HOWEVER, if I try and contact these sites on the PC in my office with
    the same version of IE or I try immediately to visit the same pages on
    the other machine in my home office, they work fine! Only this one PC
    has a problem with it's IE that stops it from connected to certain
    pages. Been like this for a while.

    I tried to remove IE 6 from the problem machine and re-install, no
    success because it appears the "problem part" of IE is left before
    after the un-install. I can, however, visit the same sites on this
    machine using Netscape Navigator without any issues (as I am doing now
    to post this).

    Any ideas? This machines gets alot of use and I suspect that a piece
    of spyware I may have downloaded long ago and since removed has
    screwed up my IE 6, but I can't find a way to repair it. The security
    setting on this IE are the same as the other two machines that work,
    so I am totally lost as to what on Earth on this machine is causing IE
    to fail on the same sites over and over.

    Any ideas? Why way to TOTALLY remove IE from this machine so I can
    load fresh as if it's a brand new PC without reformatting the hard
    drive?

    Thanks!
    Ryan, May 1, 2004

  2. Ryan

    Chet Guest

    It sounds to me as if the action is being blocked by a firewall or by some
    setting in IE. Question: are machines that work and those that don't
    connected via the same physical connection to the ISP?

    Chet, May 1, 2004

  3. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    "Chet" <> wrote in message news:<QvQkc.8768$I%1.749029@attbi_s51>...
    > It sounds to me as if the action is being blocked by a firewall or by some
    > setting in IE. Question: are machines that work and those that don't
    > connected via the same physical connection to the ISP?
    > "Ryan" <> wrote in message

    The machine at my office that works is, of course, on a corporate
    connection to the web (T1 line).

    However, the two machines at home are on the very same physical
    connection to the web. Same router, same ISP, same login, same
    everything. One IE 6 works fine, the one on my main machine is the
    problem.

    I suspected a setting in IE, but the settings on both machines seem
    the same. I am able to go to secure sites like online banking, etc.
    with this machine.. it's sites like ebates, google groups, etc. that
    give me trouble on this one machine only. Very odd. When I must visit
    those sites on the problem machine, I have to switch to Netscape
    (which I also have loaded) and they load fine.

    As odd as it sounds, its IE on this one machine that doesn't like
    certain sites and the same ones over and over. :-(
    Ryan, May 2, 2004
  4. Ryan

    Brandy Guest

    did you try emptying your temporary internet files? IE tends to load cached
    pages over and over, unless you refresh

    Brandy, May 2, 2004
  5. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    "Brandy" <> wrote in message news:<40946f13$0$3054$>...
    > did you try emptying your temporary internet files? IE tends to load cached
    > pages over and over, unless you refresh

    I'm afraid I have to say yes. I clear my cache on all machines about
    once a week. I can't stand having all kinds of garbage on my hard
    drive. So, the cashe doesn't seem to be the problem.

    I am pretty sure I can correct this by scrubbing IE 6 totally from the
    drive, but the "remove software" function in Windows XP clearly
    doesn't remove ALL of IE.
    Ryan, May 2, 2004
  6. Ryan

    Thor Guest

    Method 1: Reinstall or Repair Windows XP
    To repair or reinstall Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP,
    complete the following procedure while you are logged on as an
    administrator:
    1.. Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on
    your computer:
    1.. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2.. In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.

    Note that you may be prompted for the Windows XP or Windows XP Service
    Pack 1 installation media.
    2.. Test to determine if the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved,
    skip the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, continue to the next
    step.
    3.. Complete an in-place upgrade of Windows XP, a repair of Windows XP, or
    reinstall Windows XP. For additional information about how to complete an
    in-place upgrade or repair of Windows XP, click the article number below to
    view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    315341 How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP

    4.. To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows
    Update Web site:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    Method 2: Edit the Registry and Install Internet Explorer 6
    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
    problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
    cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry
    Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

    When you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may
    receive the following error message:

    Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on
    this system.
    Setup cannot continue.
    To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet
    Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps:
    1.. While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then
    click Run.
    2.. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3.. Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled
    (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

    To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP,
    use the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
    Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

    To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following
    registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
    Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

    4.. Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
    5.. Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.

    Thor, May 2, 2004