    itself once the login process has finished. This behaviour is annoying the
    crap out of me and it doesn't happen with Firefox, is there any way of
    stopping it ?

    xray spex, May 17, 2005

  2. xray spex

    phstpok Guest

    xray spex wrote:
    > When I sign into Gmail in IE and then minimise the window -- so I can do
    > other things while it's logging in -- the Gmail window insists on maximising
    > itself once the login process has finished. This behaviour is annoying the
    > crap out of me and it doesn't happen with Firefox, is there any way of
    > stopping it ?

    Disable javascript?

    Rob

    phstpok, May 17, 2005

  3. xray spex

    Allistar Guest

    xray spex wrote:

    > When I sign into Gmail in IE and then minimise the window -- so I can do
    > other things while it's logging in -- the Gmail window insists on
    > maximising itself once the login process has finished. This behaviour is
    > annoying the crap out of me and it doesn't happen with Firefox, is there
    > any way of stopping it ?

    Firefox has nice build in features which alow you to stop brower windows
    from stealing focus, being moved etc frmo JavaSscript. Nice.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, May 17, 2005
  4. xray spex

    Thor Guest

    Allistar wrote:

    > xray spex wrote:
    >
    >> When I sign into Gmail in IE and then minimise the window -- so I can do
    >> other things while it's logging in -- the Gmail window insists on
    >> maximising itself once the login process has finished. This behaviour is
    >> annoying the crap out of me and it doesn't happen with Firefox, is there
    >> any way of stopping it ?

    > Firefox has nice build in features which alow you to stop brower windows
    > from stealing focus, being moved etc frmo JavaSscript. Nice.
    >
    > Allistar.

    The really good one is the gmail extension. It will check for mail without
    you having to open a window at all. It will tell you if you have any and
    how many you can then click on it and have a new unfocused tab open in the
    background. If you like the why firefox does it, why on earth would you
    want to use IE.

    --
    *~~~~~~~~Thor

    Thor, May 17, 2005
  5. xray spex wrote:
    > When I sign into Gmail in IE and then minimise the window -- so I can do
    > other things while it's logging in -- the Gmail window insists on maximising
    > itself once the login process has finished. This behaviour is annoying the
    > crap out of me and it doesn't happen with Firefox, is there any way of
    > stopping it ?

    disable javascript.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 17, 2005
  6. xray spex

    Impossible Guest

    "xray spex" <> wrote in message
    > When I sign into Gmail in IE and then minimise the window -- so I
    > can do other things while it's logging in -- the Gmail window
    > insists on maximising itself once the login process has finished.
    > This behaviour is annoying the crap out of me and it doesn't happen
    > with Firefox, is there any way of stopping it ?

    Get a copy of TweakUI (Microsoft Powertoys) and check the option to
    "prevent applications from stealing focus".

    Impossible, May 17, 2005
  7. xray spex

    akiwi Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:31:46 -0400, "Impossible"
    <> wrote:

    >"xray spex" <> wrote in message
    >> When I sign into Gmail in IE and then minimise the window -- so I
    >> can do other things while it's logging in -- the Gmail window
    >> insists on maximising itself once the login process has finished.
    >> This behaviour is annoying the crap out of me and it doesn't happen
    >> with Firefox, is there any way of stopping it ?
    >>

    >Get a copy of TweakUI (Microsoft Powertoys) and check the option to
    >"prevent applications from stealing focus".

    I think that's the default in Win2K and XP. In any case, it can be
    circumvented using attach_thread_input API call which is what MS do.

    akiwi

    akiwi, May 18, 2005
  8. xray spex

    Impossible Guest

    "akiwi" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:31:46 -0400, "Impossible"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"xray spex" <> wrote in message
    >>> When I sign into Gmail in IE and then minimise the window -- so I
    >>> can do other things while it's logging in -- the Gmail window
    >>> insists on maximising itself once the login process has finished.
    >>> This behaviour is annoying the crap out of me and it doesn't
    >>> happen
    >>> with Firefox, is there any way of stopping it ?
    >>>

    >>Get a copy of TweakUI (Microsoft Powertoys) and check the option to
    >>"prevent applications from stealing focus".
    >>

    > I think that's the default in Win2K and XP. In any case, it can be
    > circumvented using attach_thread_input API call which is what MS do.

    Hmm. Nasty. Ok.

    Impossible, May 18, 2005
  9. xray spex

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 19:24:11 +1200, akiwi wrote:

    >>Get a copy of TweakUI (Microsoft Powertoys) and check the option to
    >>"prevent applications from stealing focus".
    >>

    > I think that's the default in Win2K and XP. In any case, it can be
    > circumvented using attach_thread_input API call which is what MS do.

    I remember enjoying the nearly complete lack of focus stealing during the
    W2K betas, and was looking forward to the final release. Alas, it was not
    to be - it came back in one of the release candidates or the gold release :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., May 18, 2005
  10. xray spex

    mp3geek Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 22:44:20 +1200, Thor <>
    wrote:

    >The really good one is the gmail extension. It will check for mail without
    >you having to open a window at all. It will tell you if you have any and
    >how many you can then click on it and have a new unfocused tab open in the
    >background. If you like the why firefox does it, why on earth would you
    >want to use IE.

    The gmailad hider extension is pretty handy too :)

    http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/

    mp3geek, May 24, 2005