Annoying EIGRP Error Message

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Darren Green, May 27, 2006.

  1. Darren Green

    Darren Green Guest

    Hi,

    Can anyone throw any light on this.

    I have 2 x routers (877's) connected to a LAN. The IP's of each are
    192.168.142.201 & 202 respectively with 200 being the HSRP address. They are
    connected to a small Hub so I have set the Fa0 ports on both to run at Half
    Duplex 10Mbs. Both run EIGRP (process 10) and advertise 192.168.142.0
    0.0.0.255 with no-auto-summary configured.

    I can ping from 202 to 201 but not the other way around. There are no
    access-lists on the Ethernets.

    I see the following error message pop up:

    R01#
    *Mar 12 01:30:51.766: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: IP-EIGRP(0) 10: Neighbor
    192.168.142.202 (Vlan1) is down: retry limit exceeded
    *Mar 12 01:30:52.218: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: IP-EIGRP(0) 10: Neighbor
    192.168.142.202 (Vlan1) is up: new adjacency

    Router configs as follows:

    R1 - Ethernet interface Vlan1
    interface Vlan1
    ip address 192.168.142.201 255.255.255.0
    no ip redirects
    standby 100 ip 192.168.142.200
    standby 100 priority 105
    standby 100 preempt
    hold-queue 100 out
    !
    R2 - Ethernet interface Vlan1
    ip address 192.168.142.202 255.255.255.0
    no ip redirects
    standby 100 ip 192.168.142.200
    standby 100 preempt
    hold-queue 100 out

    Regards

    Darren

    Darren Green, May 27, 2006

  2. Darren Green

    Merv Guest

    Those messages mean that Eigrp niehgbour adjacecny is being lost thewn
    re-established.

    Post the following info:
    show version
    sh run
    sh ip route
    sh ip eigrp nei detail
    sh cdp nei det
    sh arp
    sh int

    Merv, May 27, 2006

  3. Darren Green

    Darren Green Guest

    "Merv" <> wrote in message
    > Those messages mean that Eigrp niehgbour adjacecny is being lost thewn
    > re-established.
    >
    > Post the following info:
    > show version
    > sh run
    > sh ip route
    > sh ip eigrp nei detail
    > sh cdp nei det
    > sh arp
    > sh int

    Thanks Merv,

    I won't have access to the routers for another week as I am not going back
    to the site I installed them until then. I will post a follow e-mail with
    the output requested.

    Just seems so crazy that this didn't work. The only 2 x things plugged into
    the Hub were the 2 x 877's. I ruled out a hardware problem as 1 x router
    could contact the other but not the other way round. More news to follow.

    Regards

    Darren

    Darren Green, May 27, 2006
  4. Darren Green

    Merv Guest

    take a crossover cable with you and make sure that the ping issue does
    not occur when connected back to back (i.e. not thru the hub)

    not being able to ping in both direction is not a good situation ...

    Merv, May 27, 2006
  5. Darren Green

    Merv Guest

    to find out why pings are failing, try

    conf t
    logging buffer 10000 debug
    no logging console
    exit

    wri mem

    debug icmp

    ! run ping tests

    show log

    also try using extended ping and specify the source IP address

    Merv, May 28, 2006
  6. Darren Green

    Darren Green Guest

    "Merv" <> wrote in message
    > Those messages mean that Eigrp niehgbour adjacecny is being lost thewn
    > re-established.
    >
    > Post the following info:
    > show version
    > sh run
    > sh ip route
    > sh ip eigrp nei detail
    > sh cdp nei det
    > sh arp
    > sh int

    Merv,

    Apologies for me taking so long to reply. Never got the chance to revisit
    this until recently.

    Turns out that one of the routers had an access-list on it's VLAN1 interface
    that blocked eigrp. I made the mistake of e-mailing my template output form
    the text file I then applied to the routers. I didn't take the output from
    the actual router config. Somewhere along the way I added the access-list by
    mistake to the VLAN interface. The same access-list was also applied to the
    dialer interface as well.

    Obviously a case of me not paying attention to what I was doing.

    Thanks for your help in the 1st instance.

    Regards

    Darren Green, Jun 17, 2006