Annoyances

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ButchKersh, Feb 25, 2007.

  1. ButchKersh

    ButchKersh Guest

    Any answers to following problems would be appreciated-
    I am considering getting a new PC since my cheap e-machine w/2 ghz, XP SP2,
    256 mb of RAM, older Nvidia riva tnt2 model 64display adapter are 5 years
    old and I also have another e-machine in about the same shape and
    specifics -ISP is Verizon DSL modem and Lynksis router- all the following
    problems are on both PCs and either with IE7 or Firefox2- I clean both PCs
    weekly with Adware, spybot and have AV avast! no viruses have ever bween
    detected
    1. Both are slower than they were about month ago
    2. many .com web pages load extremely slow (especially Adobe to upgrade) or
    if at all with the "cannot display" message
    3. Videos load slowly - have WMP, RP, and QT
    4. Have problems loading newer computer games apparently due to older game
    hardware
    5. a wierd problem- when I use favorites menu sometimes, one of the
    favorite boxes remain on the screen and will not go away until I exit from
    IE7 all together
    Sorry for length- all above are just frequent enough to be annoying - not
    always - I have no idea what ultimate performance should be since I do see
    that everyone had problems from time to time - and as I said - I cannot
    blame problems on MS and IE7
    Thanks in advance for any response and I'll understand if I do not get any -
    I've already been told to get a MAC or at least upgrade gaming and video
    hardware - but before I act

    ButchKersh, Feb 25, 2007

  2. ButchKersh wrote:

    > Any answers to following problems would be appreciated-
    > I am considering getting a new PC since my cheap e-machine w/2 ghz, XP
    > SP2, 256 mb of RAM, older Nvidia riva tnt2 model 64display adapter are 5
    > years old and I also have another e-machine in about the same shape and
    > specifics -ISP is Verizon DSL modem and Lynksis router- all the following
    > problems are on both PCs and either with IE7 or Firefox2- I clean both PCs
    > weekly with Adware, spybot and have AV avast! no viruses have ever bween
    > detected
    > 1. Both are slower than they were about month ago

    First, 5 year old machines "suddenly" getting slower and slower may as well
    be caused by a harddrive on the way out - check that first (watch
    eventviewer for atapi type errors, run a hd diagnostic floppy from the
    harddrive manufacturor, run s.m.a.r.t tests)
    2nd, if the drive(s) prove ok, clean
    - old update uninstallers (%windir%/$NtUninstall*), the %windir%/temp,
    your temporary internet files with ie control panel or firefox privacy
    panel)
    - defrag the damned thing. Jkdefragcmd is a excellent tool
    - get UPHcleanup and install that (should keep your registry from growing)
    Then, check again.

    > 2. many .com web pages load extremely slow (especially Adobe to upgrade)
    > or if at all with the "cannot display" message

    Clean these damned temporary internet files, and set maximum cache amount to
    somewhat near 50...100 Mbytes, not 10 percent of the harddrive as is by
    default.
    Check if you can ping the questioned sites by name. Get in touch with your
    ISPs configuration site, maybe you should change some DNS setting.

    > 3. Videos load slowly - have WMP, RP, and QT
    > 4. Have problems loading newer computer games apparently due to older
    > game hardware
    > 5. a wierd problem- when I use favorites menu sometimes, one of the
    > favorite boxes remain on the screen and will not go away until I exit from
    > IE7 all together

    Even when you check the "rebuild screen"?
    Hope for the next hotfix on IE7 or use firefox.

    > - I've already been told to get a MAC or at least upgrade gaming and video
    > hardware - but before I act

    Yes, even updates/fixes of programs you already have for 5 years, can make
    these programs become bigger and slower on old hardware like yours. Not to
    mention new software and virus scanner updates, which are all built
    on/assuming you have/ a "todays standard" pc.
    A MAC may have a longer lifespan though ....

    Walter Mautner, Feb 25, 2007

  3. ButchKersh

    ButchKersh Guest

    Thanks a lot - will do as much as I can -thanks again

    ButchKersh, Feb 26, 2007
  4. ButchKersh

    Gnasher Guest

    In article <uCnEh.4241$tR1.3578@trnddc05>,
    says...
    > Any answers to following problems would be appreciated-
    > I am considering getting a new PC since my cheap e-machine w/2 ghz, XP SP2,
    > 256 mb of RAM, older Nvidia riva tnt2 model 64display adapter are 5 years

    The usual problem is that you need more RAM memory to cope with the
    expanded size of registry you have. 256MB is a bit small these days.
    I've moved from a 256MB Win2k desktop to a 512MB XP laptop at work and
    despite a slower processor it is a lot more nippier especially on start
    up. As well as more memory you should uninstall all the software you
    don't need and go over to portable software (where possible and where
    available) as it does not use the registry. And a defrag and system
    cleaner like CCleaner and EasyClean (be very carefull what you clean out
    of the registry) will help a bit but I'm assuming you do that
    occasionally.

    Keep the browser size buffers down to 50MB as otherwise the browser only
    wastes time looking through old cached objects it is never going to use.

    If you are really serious you could try trashing the operating system
    and doing a completely new install. It's a bit drastic, but it will get
    rid of all the spurious keys clogging your registry built up over the
    years.

    Gnasher, Feb 26, 2007
  5. ButchKersh

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-02-25, ButchKersh <> wrote:
    > Any answers to following problems would be appreciated-
    > I am considering getting a new PC since my cheap e-machine w/2 ghz, XP SP2,
    > 256 mb of RAM, older Nvidia riva tnt2 model 64display adapter are 5 years
    > old and I also have another e-machine in about the same shape and
    > specifics -ISP is Verizon DSL modem and Lynksis router- all the following
    > problems are on both PCs and either with IE7 or Firefox2- I clean both PCs
    > weekly with Adware, spybot and have AV avast! no viruses have ever bween
    > detected
    > 1. Both are slower than they were about month ago
    > 2. many .com web pages load extremely slow (especially Adobe to upgrade) or
    > if at all with the "cannot display" message
    > 3. Videos load slowly - have WMP, RP, and QT
    > 4. Have problems loading newer computer games apparently due to older game
    > hardware
    > 5. a wierd problem- when I use favorites menu sometimes, one of the
    > favorite boxes remain on the screen and will not go away until I exit from
    > IE7 all together
    > Sorry for length- all above are just frequent enough to be annoying - not
    > always - I have no idea what ultimate performance should be since I do see
    > that everyone had problems from time to time - and as I said - I cannot
    > blame problems on MS and IE7
    > Thanks in advance for any response and I'll understand if I do not get any -
    > I've already been told to get a MAC or at least upgrade gaming and video
    > hardware - but before I act

    You might want to think about deleting all the programs you don't use, and
    any data you no longer need (and making backup copies of all the data you
    really want to keep!) and then using the 'system maintenance' tools to
    make sure that temporary files, dead cookies, broken fragments, etc, are
    cleaned out of your disc space, and then 'de-fragmenting' the hard discs.
    (De-fragging is worth doing weekly if you have a FAT32 file system; NTFS
    is a lot more efficient).

    Make sure that only programs you want to run at start-up are actually
    starting.

    Defensive programs such as anti-virus, adware detectors, spyware
    detectors, etc, running continuously 'in the background' will slow
    everything down. Consider scanning periodically instead, perhaps on a set
    timed schedule so that the scanning happens when your PC is normally on
    but not doing much. (Your 'firewall' should be running all the time there
    is an internet connection, of course).

    I don't think there is any reason your PCs shouldn't be just as quick as
    when they were new - although recent software seems to be getting more and
    more 'bloated' in terms of the load it places on the computer.

    I'll just slip in the comment that Linux seems to make much better use of
    computer resources than Windows on the same hardware ;))

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 26, 2007