announcing routes to split network

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Philipp Specht, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. Hello!

    I've got the following system:

    Provider

    BGP

    Cisco 7507

    Ethernet

    At the moment, there is only one Provider; soon I'll be multihomed.

    The BGP between Provider and Cisco is running without problems.
    The Ethernet is also running smoothly.

    I've got a /23 network from RIPE which should be announced to Provider.

    On my internal ethernet I want the /23 to appear as two separated /24.
    (I want to have two different subnets with two different default gateways).

    The problem:

    The announcement of my /23 is only functioning properly if I configure
    the whole /23 in one block on the Ethernet.

    If I configure
    ip address [first /24] 255.255.255.0 secondary
    ip address [second /24] 255.255.255.0
    the cisco won't announce this network.
    It doesn't appear in "sh ip bgp nei xxx ad"

    The network section of my configuration:
    router bgp xxx
    network xxx mask 255.255.254.0

    What can I do to announce the /23 network regardless of the internal net
    being down or split up?

    Thanks in advance,

    Philipp

    Philipp Specht, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Philipp Specht

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    In article <bugehj$hk6o7$-berlin.de>,
    says...

    > What can I do to announce the /23 network regardless of the internal net
    > being down or split up?

    Try this:

    ip route 23network 255.255.255.254.0 Null0

    router bgp xxx
    network xxx mask 255.255.254.0

    And on ethernet create two 24's (one primary and other secondary).

    --
    Ivan

    Ivan Ostres, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Ivan Ostres wrote:
    > Try this:
    >
    > ip route 23network 255.255.255.254.0 Null0
    >
    > router bgp xxx
    > network xxx mask 255.255.254.0
    >
    > And on ethernet create two 24's (one primary and other secondary).

    It works!

    Thank you...

    Philipp

    Philipp Specht, Jan 23, 2004