Announcement: FreeNAC - an easy to use VMPS management solution (and more)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by freeNAC, Sep 13, 2006.

  1. freeNAC

    freeNAC Guest

    Hi there,

    I have seen in this group a couple of people using VMPS or considering
    using it to manage dynamically their VLAN.
    Maybe you could be interested in a new open source tool we are
    developing, based on VMPS:

    FreeNAC provides easy to use VLAN assignment and LAN access control for
    Cisco Switches and all kind of network devices (Servers, Workstations,
    Printers, IP-Phones, Webcams...).

    FreeNAC can be considered as having two phases.

    Initially, we have taken OpenVMPS (which provides MAC based access
    control), added a MySQL back end, a GUI, improved access control
    algorithms, scalability, redundancy, alerting etc. This tool has been
    published as OpenSource on FreeNAC.net.

    Next, we are testing 802.1x support by tying in FreeRadius (802.1x
    provides better security and is not limited to Cisco switches) and
    moving the Delphi GUI to a web based user interface.

    The 'plan' is for the project to move forward to eventually become THE
    OpenSource Enterprise tool for dynamic VLAN assignment and LAN/WLAN
    authentication.

    So, we wish to solicite community opinions, expertise, help and
    feedback. Are you interested in this tool, would you like to use it or
    even like to contribute to it (documentation, support, development,
    promotion, architecture, review...)?

    Please visit us on http://www.freenac.net !

    Best regards,
    St├ęphane