Announcement - FREE Security Alerts Service

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by we_are@watching.security, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. Guest

    CryptGuard would like to make this group's visitors/readers aware of
    our free security alerts bulletin service.

    Our initial focus is most relevant to those who understand and manage
    their own firewalls, with the aim of providing information about the
    network location of various pockets of malicious activity -
    specifically, the IP addresses of infected source hosts. We're not
    talking about aunt Martha's computer that might have been infected
    with a spam-spewing virus, but rather the host machines to which
    spyware "calls home", or from which malicious code is downloaded to a
    user's compromised system, or the site operating a phishing scam.

    Over time our aim is to develop the service into a broader information
    source by adding security information geared to the general consumer
    in addition to the technical/operator/system admin types. In addition
    to our own monitoring network sources, we encourage any/all
    contributions from the public, and provide a reporting/upload area on
    our site.

    We're not looking to become another 'virus dissecting' group/company -
    there are currently plenty of very good researchers providing detailed
    information about the inner workings of various malware. There is
    however, a shortage of reporting sources for information concerning
    the actual host IP addresses of computers serving as repositories of
    malware, from which the backdoors/trojans/scams/phishers download
    exploit/spyware/malicious code. While it is certainly important to
    understand HOW specific security vulnerabilities work, it is even more
    vital to know WHERE the machines distributing such exploits are
    located, so that they can be blacklisted/firewalled/blocked by users
    who wish to protect themselves (and any clients they may also be
    responsible for).

    We'd like to thank everyone for their feedback and suggestions.
    Although we've been in the technology business for going on three
    decades, we're a relative newcomer in terms of this particular service
    offering so we're heartened to see that it's been so well-received to
    date.

    The URL is:
    www.cryptguard.com/security_alerts.shtml

    Thank you.