[Announcement] FlashBoot - a tool to make USB Flash Disks bootable

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PrimeExpert, Feb 6, 2005.

  1. PrimeExpert

    PrimeExpert Guest

    FlashBoot is a tool to make USB disks bootable. Its primary focus is
    USB Flash disks, but other types of USB devices are supported too.
    Making disk bootable means reformatting of target media (that's
    optional) and transferring system files to it. Different types of
    systems are supported: DOS kernel (MS-DOS, PC-DOS and FreeDOS),
    SysLinux-based disks, Windows NT/2000/XP bootloader, Linux kernel, any
    other user-supplied bootloader.

    You may create blank bootable USB flash with minimal set of system
    files and then manually tune it for your needs, or convert a
    full-featured bootable CD-ROM or floppy disk to bootable USB Flash
    keeping all functionality.
    FlashBoot is able to write its output to a physical disk or to image
    file. So you may create customized flash disk manually or with another
    tool and use FlashBoot to create image out of it and redistribute it
    in local network or online.

    FlashBoot is designed to be compatible with all types of hardware. It
    is not binded to Transend, Kingston, HP or to any other particular
    manufacturer of USB Flash or other types of USB disks.

    FlashBoot is designed to be compatible with all types of media. It is
    not binded to any fixed media size or disk geometry, specific for some
    particular kind of devices.

    FlashBoot is designed to be compatible with all BIOSes. Some of them
    rely on so-called superfloppy format (called also USB-ZIP format,
    originally introduced by external ZIP drives), some of them support
    only partitioned disks (called also USB-HDD format, originally
    introduced by external USB HDD disks), others work OK with both ones.
    You can choose disk format in FlashBoot if you enable reformat option.
    Even more, you can use FlashBoot to avoid such incompatibilities for
    existing USB disks, i.e. to convert disk format of existing disk,
    maybe created manually or by third-party software.

    FlashBoot is a tool with wide feature list, for example there are no
    other tools currently available to convert bootable floppies or
    CD-ROMs to USB Flash disks, or to duplicate USB flash disks. You get
    all the features "in one box" if you use FlashBoot.

    The following types of USB bootable disk creation schemas are
    supported:

    * convert BartPE bootable CD-ROM to bootable USB disk

    * install DOS kernel files only (you may get the files from installed
    Windows 9x, from Windows 9x setup folder, or use built-in FreeDOS)

    * convert floppy disk to USB Flash disk (a diskette or an image file
    may be used)

    * convert a bootable CD-ROM to USB Flash disk (again images are
    supported). There are some technical difficulties with supporting any
    type of CD-ROM here, see details below. But there should be no
    troubles with the most real file cases. You may convert Knoppix and
    EBCD, for instance.

    * create Windows NT/2000/XP password recovery disk

    * create disk with NT/2000/XP bootloader. It would be useful when you
    have mistakenly configured it, and boot.ini file was left on
    unreachable disk (NTFS).

    * duplicate USB flash disk. Just creates a copy of existing disk USB
    flash disk, different sizes of source and destination medias are OK.

    Types of convertible CD-ROMs include so-called 1.44-floppy emulation
    bootable CD-ROMs and no-emulation CD-ROMs based on ISOLinux.

    For more infomation, see http://www.prime-expert.com/flashboot/
    PrimeExpert, Feb 6, 2005

  2. On 6 Feb 2005 10:44:19 -0800, (PrimeExpert)
    wrote:

    >FlashBoot is a tool to make USB disks bootable. Its primary focus is
    >USB Flash disks, but other types of USB devices are supported too.
    >Making disk bootable means reformatting of target media (that's
    >optional) and transferring system files to it. Different types of
    >systems are supported: DOS kernel (MS-DOS, PC-DOS and FreeDOS),
    >SysLinux-based disks, Windows NT/2000/XP bootloader, Linux kernel, any
    >other user-supplied bootloader.

    No need, get a MoBo that supports booting from a USB stick like my 18 months
    old Gigabyte one..
    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Feb 7, 2005

  3. BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au wrote:
    > On 6 Feb 2005 10:44:19 -0800, (PrimeExpert)
    > wrote:
    >

    >>FlashBoot is a tool to make USB disks bootable. Its primary focus is
    >>USB Flash disks, but other types of USB devices are supported too.
    >>Making disk bootable means reformatting of target media (that's
    >>optional) and transferring system files to it. Different types of
    >>systems are supported: DOS kernel (MS-DOS, PC-DOS and FreeDOS),
    >>SysLinux-based disks, Windows NT/2000/XP bootloader, Linux kernel, any
    >>other user-supplied bootloader.

    > No need, get a MoBo that supports booting from a USB stick like my 18 months
    > old Gigabyte one..

    yeah I must say that boot from USB is damn handy... I have a ghost image
    of my USB boot device(its normally an MP3 player), every so often I find
    a new toy/tool to add to it.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 7, 2005
  4. PrimeExpert

    Guest

    Re: FlashBoot - a tool to make USB Flash Disks bootable

    Did anyone here happen to work woth usb drives which are also mp3
    player+radio?
    Does it get reformatted usually, like other drives, or there are
    limitations?
    Can it be divided to two or more paritions?
    Thanks

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au wrote:
    > > On 6 Feb 2005 10:44:19 -0800,

    (PrimeExpert)
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > >>FlashBoot is a tool to make USB disks bootable. Its primary focus

    is
    > >>USB Flash disks, but other types of USB devices are supported too.
    > >>Making disk bootable means reformatting of target media (that's
    > >>optional) and transferring system files to it. Different types of
    > >>systems are supported: DOS kernel (MS-DOS, PC-DOS and FreeDOS),
    > >>SysLinux-based disks, Windows NT/2000/XP bootloader, Linux kernel,

    any
    > >>other user-supplied bootloader.

    > > No need, get a MoBo that supports booting from a USB stick like my

    18 months
    > > old Gigabyte one..

    > yeah I must say that boot from USB is damn handy... I have a ghost

    image
    > of my USB boot device(its normally an MP3 player), every so often I

    find
    > a new toy/tool to add to it.
    , Feb 7, 2005
  5. PrimeExpert

    Mutlley Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au wrote:
    >> On 6 Feb 2005 10:44:19 -0800, (PrimeExpert)
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>FlashBoot is a tool to make USB disks bootable. Its primary focus is
    >>>USB Flash disks, but other types of USB devices are supported too.
    >>>Making disk bootable means reformatting of target media (that's
    >>>optional) and transferring system files to it. Different types of
    >>>systems are supported: DOS kernel (MS-DOS, PC-DOS and FreeDOS),
    >>>SysLinux-based disks, Windows NT/2000/XP bootloader, Linux kernel, any
    >>>other user-supplied bootloader.

    >> No need, get a MoBo that supports booting from a USB stick like my 18 months
    >> old Gigabyte one..

    >yeah I must say that boot from USB is damn handy... I have a ghost image
    >of my USB boot device(its normally an MP3 player), every so often I find
    >a new toy/tool to add to it.

    Dave,

    What version of Ghost are you using?? I tried to Ghost a compact
    flash card and Ghost 9 wouldn't look at it. I assumed that from a PCs
    point of view a USB flash rom and compact flash card would be the
    same..
    Mutlley, Feb 7, 2005
  6. Mutlley wrote:
    >>>No need, get a MoBo that supports booting from a USB stick like my 18 months
    >>>old Gigabyte one..

    >>yeah I must say that boot from USB is damn handy... I have a ghost image
    >>of my USB boot device(its normally an MP3 player), every so often I find
    >>a new toy/tool to add to it.

    > Dave,
    > What version of Ghost are you using?? I tried to Ghost a compact
    > flash card and Ghost 9 wouldn't look at it. I assumed that from a PCs
    > point of view a USB flash rom and compact flash card would be the
    > same..

    ummm "Corporate" I don't see any versions exactly, I grabbed it from
    work for some experimentation with images. :)

    I'll see if I can find the version number or something.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 7, 2005