ANNI GOES 8 MegaPixel ???

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, Jun 2, 2004.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Well sports fans, today was my lucky day!

    First off, I received Issue #10 of The Luminous Landscape Video Journal on DVD
    today. For those of you living in a cave, this is Michael Reichmann's
    excellent video production covering all aspects of photography. You can read
    all about it here:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

    Also, I just got an e-mail from Mr. Reichmann telling me I am the first
    Semi-Finalist for the big 8 MP camera Drawing.
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/video_journal/win.shtml

    Should I be lucky enough to be the grand prize winner (why not? I'm due!),
    I'll get to choose between 5 of the new 8 MP models from Canon, Minolta, Nikon,
    Olympus, and Sony. Gee, I wonder which one I'd choose?

    Now back to the DVD. I just sat mesmerized watching a segment with Michael and
    Stephen Johnson, a landscape photographer who uses the Betterlight scanning
    back on a 4x5 camera to make super high-res large format images that film
    simply can't touch. As Mr. Johnson correctly points out, digital's superiority
    in this format is "inarguable." So don't even bother.

    Mr. Johnson also has a setup to make panoramic images up to 6000 pixels high by
    up to 65000 pixels wide .... without stitching! The camera rests on a
    computerized mount and the camera itself turns while the image is being
    captured. The whole scanning process takes just over a minute so the format
    doesn't lend itself to any type of photography involving movement. But for
    landscapes or still life you can't beat it. All color corrections, white
    balance adjustments, histogram tweaking, etc. are done at capture so there is
    no need for post-processing other than printing. Cool, huh?

    In an ironic way, the digital Betterlight system may actually bring the
    photographer closer to photography's essence ... the faithful capture of a
    moment in time. Who needs film, anyway? Brother can ya spare about $50K?

    Anyone interested in the current limits of photography should plunk down the
    $14.95 for this DVD. It will not only change your perspective, it could just
    be a life-changing experience for you as well.

    Annika1980, Jun 2, 2004

  2. Annika1980

    Bill Turlock Guest

    Annika1980 wrote:

    > Well sports fans, today was my lucky day!
    >
    > First off, I received Issue #10 of The Luminous Landscape Video Journal on DVD
    > today. For those of you living in a cave, this is Michael Reichmann's
    > excellent video production covering all aspects of photography. You can read
    > all about it here:
    > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/
    >
    > Also, I just got an e-mail from Mr. Reichmann telling me I am the first
    > Semi-Finalist for the big 8 MP camera Drawing.
    > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/video_journal/win.shtml
    >
    > Should I be lucky enough to be the grand prize winner (why not? I'm due!),
    > I'll get to choose between 5 of the new 8 MP models from Canon, Minolta, Nikon,
    > Olympus, and Sony. Gee, I wonder which one I'd choose?
    >
    > Now back to the DVD. I just sat mesmerized watching a segment with Michael and
    > Stephen Johnson, a landscape photographer who uses the Betterlight scanning
    > back on a 4x5 camera to make super high-res large format images that film
    > simply can't touch. As Mr. Johnson correctly points out, digital's superiority
    > in this format is "inarguable." So don't even bother.
    >
    > Mr. Johnson also has a setup to make panoramic images up to 6000 pixels high by
    > up to 65000 pixels wide .... without stitching! The camera rests on a
    > computerized mount and the camera itself turns while the image is being
    > captured. The whole scanning process takes just over a minute so the format
    > doesn't lend itself to any type of photography involving movement. But for
    > landscapes or still life you can't beat it. All color corrections, white
    > balance adjustments, histogram tweaking, etc. are done at capture so there is
    > no need for post-processing other than printing. Cool, huh?
    >
    > In an ironic way, the digital Betterlight system may actually bring the
    > photographer closer to photography's essence ... the faithful capture of a
    > moment in time. Who needs film, anyway? Brother can ya spare about $50K?
    >
    > Anyone interested in the current limits of photography should plunk down the
    > $14.95 for this DVD. It will not only change your perspective, it could just
    > be a life-changing experience for you as well.

    I've been to his studio on the coast.
    It's a must-see!
    He's got a 365° pano of the Grand Canyon. Spectacular

    Bill

    Bill Turlock, Jun 2, 2004

  3. Annika1980

    sun lei Guest

    sun lei, Jun 2, 2004
  4. Annika1980

    George Kerby Guest

    On 6/1/04 11:38 PM, in article , "Bill Turlock"
    <"Bill Turlock"@sonnic.net> wrote:

    > Annika1980 wrote:
    >>
    >> Well sports fans, today was my lucky day!
    >>
    >> First off, I received Issue #10 of The Luminous Landscape Video Journal on
    >> DVD
    >> today. For those of you living in a cave, this is Michael Reichmann's
    >> excellent video production covering all aspects of photography. You can read
    >> all about it here:
    >> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/
    >>
    >> Also, I just got an e-mail from Mr. Reichmann telling me I am the first
    >> Semi-Finalist for the big 8 MP camera Drawing.
    >> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/video_journal/win.shtml
    >>
    >> Should I be lucky enough to be the grand prize winner (why not? I'm due!),
    >> I'll get to choose between 5 of the new 8 MP models from Canon, Minolta,
    >> Nikon,
    >> Olympus, and Sony. Gee, I wonder which one I'd choose?
    >>
    >> Now back to the DVD. I just sat mesmerized watching a segment with Michael
    >> and
    >> Stephen Johnson, a landscape photographer who uses the Betterlight scanning
    >> back on a 4x5 camera to make super high-res large format images that film
    >> simply can't touch. As Mr. Johnson correctly points out, digital's
    >> superiority
    >> in this format is "inarguable." So don't even bother.
    >>
    >> Mr. Johnson also has a setup to make panoramic images up to 6000 pixels high
    >> by
    >> up to 65000 pixels wide .... without stitching! The camera rests on a
    >> computerized mount and the camera itself turns while the image is being
    >> captured. The whole scanning process takes just over a minute so the format
    >> doesn't lend itself to any type of photography involving movement. But for
    >> landscapes or still life you can't beat it. All color corrections, white
    >> balance adjustments, histogram tweaking, etc. are done at capture so there is
    >> no need for post-processing other than printing. Cool, huh?
    >>
    >> In an ironic way, the digital Betterlight system may actually bring the
    >> photographer closer to photography's essence ... the faithful capture of a
    >> moment in time. Who needs film, anyway? Brother can ya spare about $50K?
    >>
    >> Anyone interested in the current limits of photography should plunk down the
    >> $14.95 for this DVD. It will not only change your perspective, it could just
    >> be a life-changing experience for you as well.

    > He's got a 365° pano of the Grand Canyon.

    WOW! HOW does he do THAT?!?

    George Kerby, Jun 2, 2004
  5. snip

    > I've been to his studio on the coast.
    > It's a must-see!
    > He's got a 365° pano of the Grand Canyon. Spectacular

    Do you maybe mean 360° ?

    > Bill

    FDKS

    Fedman Kassad, Jun 2, 2004
  6. "Fedman Kassad" <> wrote in message
    > snip
    >
    > > I've been to his studio on the coast.
    > > It's a must-see!
    > > He's got a 365° pano of the Grand Canyon. Spectacular

    > Do you maybe mean 360° ?

    It's sort of like the amplifiers with dials that go to 11...

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jun 2, 2004
  7. Annika1980

    Dave Devine Guest

    David J. Littleboy <> wrote:

    > "Fedman Kassad" <> wrote in message
    > > snip
    > >
    > > > I've been to his studio on the coast.
    > > > It's a must-see!
    > > > He's got a 365° pano of the Grand Canyon. Spectacular

    > > Do you maybe mean 360° ?

    > It's sort of like the amplifiers with dials that go to 11...
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    You get great sustain with that, though...

    --
    There's a fine line between stupid and clever.

    Dave Devine, Jun 2, 2004
  8. Snap

    > > Do you maybe mean 360° ?

    > It's sort of like the amplifiers with dials that go to 11...

    LMAO

    Now, That Is Spinal Tap!

    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    FDKS

    Fedman Kassad, Jun 2, 2004
  9. Annika1980

    Pepys Guest

    "George Kerby" <> wrote in message
    > On 6/1/04 11:38 PM, in article , "Bill

    Turlock"

    > > He's got a 365° pano of the Grand Canyon.
    > >

    > WOW! HOW does he do THAT?!?

    He uses a Sigma of course.

    Pepys, Jun 3, 2004
  10. Annika1980

    Chris Cox Guest

    > > Now back to the DVD. I just sat mesmerized watching a segment with Michael
    > > and
    > > Stephen Johnson, a landscape photographer who uses the Betterlight scanning
    > > back on a 4x5 camera to make super high-res large format images that film
    > > simply can't touch. As Mr. Johnson correctly points out, digital's
    > > superiority in this format is "inarguable." So don't even bother.

    > I've been to his studio on the coast.
    > It's a must-see!
    > He's got a 365° pano of the Grand Canyon. Spectacular

    I assume you're referring to Stephen Johnson's studio/shop in Pacifica,
    CA at 580 Crespi Drive, Suite A-2 (just off US 1, next to Linda Mar
    state beach)?

    http://www.sjphoto.com

    Yeah - it's impressive.

    Chris (ok, I admit I've been there a few times)

    Chris Cox, Jun 6, 2004
  11. Monochrome interpolated. Yuck.

    Georgette Preddy, Jun 6, 2004
  12. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: Chris Cox

    >> > Now back to the DVD. I just sat mesmerized watching a segment with

    >Michael
    >> > and
    >> > Stephen Johnson, a landscape photographer who uses the Betterlight

    >scanning
    >> > back on a 4x5 camera to make super high-res large format images that film
    >> > simply can't touch.

    >I assume you're referring to Stephen Johnson's studio/shop in Pacifica,
    >CA at 580 Crespi Drive, Suite A-2 (just off US 1, next to Linda Mar
    >state beach)?
    >
    >http://www.sjphoto.com
    >

    >Yeah - it's impressive.
    >
    >Chris (ok, I admit I've been there a few times)

    Mr. Johnson even mentioned you in the DVD, Chris. He said you helped him
    immensely, especially as regards to some of the new features of Photoshop CS.

    Every day the world seems to get a little smaller.

    Annika1980, Jun 7, 2004
  13. Annika1980

    Mike Engles Guest

    Annika1980 wrote:

    > >From: Chris Cox

    > >Michael

    > >scanning

    > >I assume you're referring to Stephen Johnson's studio/shop in Pacifica,
    > >CA at 580 Crespi Drive, Suite A-2 (just off US 1, next to Linda Mar
    > >state beach)?
    > >
    > >http://www.sjphoto.com
    > >

    > >Yeah - it's impressive.
    > >
    > >Chris (ok, I admit I've been there a few times)

    > Mr. Johnson even mentioned you in the DVD, Chris. He said you helped him
    > immensely, especially as regards to some of the new features of Photoshop CS.
    >
    > Every day the world seems to get a little smaller.

    Hello

    You might not be aware, but look at the credits in the Photoshop splash
    screen.

    Mike Engles

    Mike Engles, Jun 9, 2004
  14. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: Mike Engles

    >> Every day the world seems to get a little smaller.

    >Hello
    >
    >You might not be aware, but look at the credits in the Photoshop splash
    >screen.

    I'm very aware. That's why I go to Chris for my Photoshop advice.

    It's also fun to go to the "About Photoshop" drop-down in the "Help" section.
    It starts with the same splash screen and then scrolls. And if you're lucky,
    you'll see a nice surprise at the end.

    Annika1980, Jun 9, 2004