[ANN] Geekzone promotion: Worldmate (Palm, Pocket PC, P800, Nokia Series 60)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mauricio Freitas, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. Mauricio Freitas, Jul 18, 2003

  2. Mauricio Freitas

    Bret Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 01:10:50 +1200, "k y l e" <> wrote:

    >"Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message
    >> Just put up a promotion (another one!)
    >>
    >> This time I have two copies of each version of WorldMate to giveaway to
    >> registered Geekzone users (registration is free, of course!)
    >>
    >> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1171
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mauricio Freitas
    >> Handhelds, mobile: http://www.geekzone.co.nz or
    >> http://www.bluetoothguide.com
    >> Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
    >>

    >Is this spam? Or legitimate NG usage?

    Mauricio has been tolerated so far.

    Bret, Jul 19, 2003

  3. Mauricio Freitas

    T.N.O. Guest

    Re: [ANN] Geekzone promotion: Worldmate (Palm, Pocket PC, P800, NokiaSeries 60)

    k y l e wrote:

    > "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Just put up a promotion (another one!)
    >>
    >>This time I have two copies of each version of WorldMate to giveaway to
    >>registered Geekzone users (registration is free, of course!)
    >>
    >>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1171
    >>
    >>--
    >>Mauricio Freitas
    >>Handhelds, mobile: http://www.geekzone.co.nz or
    >>http://www.bluetoothguide.com
    >>Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
    >>

    > Is this spam? Or legitimate NG usage?

    I wondered the same myself but figured it's not like he is saying come
    here and buy shit... I dont even know if he sells things from his site.
    hell, I'll check it out.

    Mostly a review and news site, so I wouldnt consider it to be spam.

    T.N.O., Jul 19, 2003
  4. Mauricio Freitas

    Howard Guest

    k y l e wrote:
    > "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message
    >> Just put up a promotion (another one!)
    >>
    >> This time I have two copies of each version of WorldMate to giveaway
    >> to registered Geekzone users (registration is free, of course!)
    >>
    >> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1171
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mauricio Freitas
    >> Handhelds, mobile: http://www.geekzone.co.nz or
    >> http://www.bluetoothguide.com
    >> Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
    >>

    > Is this spam? Or legitimate NG usage?

    I vote for legitimate. Hey, I went to his site, liked it, and keep going
    back. Beside, he's fastidious about the [ANN] header, so you can filter on
    that if you don't like it. Where's the problem?

    Howard, Jul 21, 2003
  5. On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:49:47 +1200, Bret wrote:

    > If anyone is really bothered, speak now or forever hold your peace :)

    Well I find it irritating.

    Not quite as irritating as some others who've been doing it in the past
    (Bifrost, among others), but at least he's participating in the group.

    Far better to just have a pointer in your sig, imho.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 22, 2003
  6. On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:31:42 +1200, Howard wrote:

    > I vote for legitimate. Hey, I went to his site, liked it, and keep going
    > back. Beside, he's fastidious about the [ANN] header, so you can filter on
    > that if you don't like it. Where's the problem?

    The problem is that the group charter is explicitly non-commercial and you
    run into the slippery slope which ends up with the group being nothing but
    such announcements.

    Much like nz.biz.* before the moderators gave up and killed the groups.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 22, 2003
  7. "k y l e" <> wrote in message
    > "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message
    > > Just put up a promotion (another one!)
    > >
    > > This time I have two copies of each version of WorldMate to giveaway to
    > > registered Geekzone users (registration is free, of course!)
    > >
    > > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1171
    > >
    > > --

    > Is this spam? Or legitimate NG usage?

    Sorry took me long to reply this thread - back from a holiday.

    My opinion is this (and you may comment on that of course):

    - I'm offering a prize draw to all registered users (registration is free)
    who enters a competition I post here. I just think that since I offer quite
    a number of freebies (software and hardware) every week, I'd give the kiwis
    the same opportunity to win some - and actually some of winners are from New
    Zealand, although majority of entries are from US and Europe. And what best
    place to let you know than a comp group?

    - I'm not selling anything, but offering a free review, news and articles
    service. You can read there and find why I didn't like the product from
    supplier A, and if you have problems with your mobile XYZ not working you
    can always find something there.

    - There's a paypal account setup as you noticed, mainly for donations (like
    Aardvark and others I'd say), and I do get the odd donation, mainly from
    American users who feel the site brings some useful information

    - My only revenue from the site is the Google Ads, which only pay per click,
    and the software sold thru Handango (hence the banners).

    I think SPAM (not the registered trademark), is the unsolicited offering for
    sale of a service of product. If you think my [ANN] posting qualify as such,
    so it be - I stop posting them.

    My site just served 500,000 pages, which I think it's something great for a
    kiwi site not in the big league. This is the second time that this issue is
    raise, and if this is really the concern, I just stop posting announcements
    (which are only for the freebies and the odd review of something really new,
    like when I posted about Vodafone Live services before it launched here
    officialy, or about a new version of a not yet released Microsoft Windows
    Smartphone OS a couple of weeks ago).

    Mauricio Freitas, Jul 25, 2003
  8. "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:01:53 +1200, Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    >
    > > I think SPAM (not the registered trademark), is the unsolicited offering

    for
    > > sale of a service of product. If you think my [ANN] posting qualify as

    such,
    > > so it be - I stop posting them.

    > I think SPAM (all caps) is a Hormel product. They've been fairly good
    > about use of the name, as long as it's not all caps.
    >
    > The first great Usenet spammers were religious. Content is irrelevant.
    >
    > The issue is that the charter of the group doesn't allow commercial
    > postings, otherwise we'd be swimming in them.

    Uncle, would you qualify my [ANN] postings as commercial?

    Mauricio Freitas, Jul 25, 2003
  9. "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:07:56 +1200, Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    >
    > >> The issue is that the charter of the group doesn't allow commercial
    > >> postings, otherwise we'd be swimming in them.
    > >>

    > > Uncle, would you qualify my [ANN] postings as commercial?

    > I'd say they read like commercials.
    >
    > Best way to advertise anything on the net is to put it in your sig (4 line
    > max) and just keep particpating.

    Even when I'm just saying "Hey, here's another chance to win a free
    <bluetooth adapter/bluetooth headset/software for your Nokia/software for
    your Pocket PC>"?

    Well, I think that even giving free things away these days is hard :)

    That's ok, two comments/requests are enough. I'll not post updates on
    nz.comp anymore.

    Mauricio Freitas, Jul 25, 2003

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 25, 2003

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 25, 2003
  12. Mauricio Freitas

    Howard Guest

    > That's ok, two comments/requests are enough. I'll not post updates on
    > nz.comp anymore.

    That's a shame. I say continue, especially with your [ANN] header.

    Howard, Jul 25, 2003
  13. "Howard" <> wrote in message

    > > That's ok, two comments/requests are enough. I'll not post updates on
    > > nz.comp anymore.

    > That's a shame. I say continue, especially with your [ANN] header.

    Thanks Howard... But I'd rather not see the spam word and Geekzone in the
    same sentence with this connotation... Keep visiting the site though,
    because there're some more freebies coming.

    Mauricio Freitas, Jul 25, 2003
  14. "Howard" <> wrote in message

    > > That's ok, two comments/requests are enough. I'll not post updates on
    > > nz.comp anymore.

    > That's a shame. I say continue, especially with your [ANN] header.

    I concur. I don't mind the Geekzone posts. :)

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 25, 2003
  15. Mauricio Freitas

    Matt B Guest

    In news:bfqn4p$a44$,
    Nicholas Sherlock <> wrote:
    > "Howard" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> That's ok, two comments/requests are enough. I'll not post updates
    >>> on nz.comp anymore.

    >> That's a shame. I say continue, especially with your [ANN] header.
    >>

    > I concur. I don't mind the Geekzone posts. :)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    Ditto. Ignore the "POSP" from the netcop who started this nonsense - it's
    probably an acronym the twat had just picked up on and was hanging out for a
    chance to use it.

    --
    Regards,

    Matt B