  1. When I'm on a page that has adds animating, I find it really off putting and
    difficult to read - is there anyway to 'freeze' them?

    Thanks
    David Sadtwat, Jan 30, 2004

  2. David Sadtwat

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:30:10 -0000, David Sadtwat wrote:

    >When I'm on a page that has adds animating, I find it really off putting and
    >difficult to read - is there anyway to 'freeze' them?

    Which browser?

    Don't use it myself much, but MSIE has Tools / Options / Advanced tab
    near the bottom of the list. Untick - Play sounds, Play animations, Play
    videos.

    Opera, see Preferences / Multimedia.

    Outpost Firewall (with ad blocker) or other ad blocker utility may also
    help.

    Me
    why?, Jan 30, 2004

  3. "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    > On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:30:10 -0000, David Sadtwat wrote:
    >
    > >When I'm on a page that has adds animating, I find it really off putting

    and
    > >difficult to read - is there anyway to 'freeze' them?
    > >

    > Which browser?
    >
    > Don't use it myself much, but MSIE has Tools / Options / Advanced tab
    > near the bottom of the list. Untick - Play sounds, Play animations, Play
    > videos.

    Sorry: IE. I have already unselected the options you suggested :(
    David Sadtwat, Jan 30, 2004
  4. David Sadtwat

    trout Guest

    David Sadtwat wrote:

    > "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:30:10 -0000, David Sadtwat wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I'm on a page that has adds animating, I find it really off
    >>> putting and difficult to read - is there anyway to 'freeze' them?
    >>>

    >> Which browser?
    >>
    >> Don't use it myself much, but MSIE has Tools / Options / Advanced tab
    >> near the bottom of the list. Untick - Play sounds, Play animations,
    >> Play videos.

    > Sorry: IE. I have already unselected the options you suggested :(

    In Internet Options; Security tab; Custom options, you could set
    ActiveX controls and plug ins to "Prompt". This way, you could refuse
    them on a page where they serve no purpose other than to animate an
    advertisement.
    Of course, it would mean dealing with a prompt when opening just
    about every page (which I still prefer, myself).
    --
    "Depends upon which you find more annoying."
    trout, Jan 30, 2004
  5. David Sadtwat

    Richard Guest

    David Sadtwat wrote:

    > When I'm on a page that has adds animating, I find it really off putting
    > and difficult to read - is there anyway to 'freeze' them?

    > Thanks

    Look on the toolbar and find that little red icon and click it.
    Most browsers use that to "stop" animation and loading.
    Richard, Jan 30, 2004
  6. David Sadtwat

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:01:37 -0000, David Sadtwat wrote:

    >> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:30:10 -0000, David Sadtwat wrote:
    >>
    >> >When I'm on a page that has adds animating, I find it really off putting

    >and
    >> >difficult to read - is there anyway to 'freeze' them?
    >> >

    >> Which browser?
    >>
    >> Don't use it myself much, but MSIE has Tools / Options / Advanced tab
    >> near the bottom of the list. Untick - Play sounds, Play animations, Play
    >> videos.

    >Sorry: IE. I have already unselected the options you suggested :(

    Helps to say, guessing is so much fun otherwise :)

    Example URL, to see what type of ad it is?

    If it's flash, you should be able to right click , untick play.

    I am still fine tuning the Outpost options, but it blocks ads quite
    nicely.

    You could look for previous suggestions,

    Searched English messages for
    ad block
    group:24hoursupport.helpdesk
    from 12 May 2002 to today.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 280. Search took 0.71 seconds.

    <http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=ISO-8859-1&safe=off&scoring=r&as_drrb=b&q=ad+block+group%3A24hoursupport.helpdesk&btnG=Google+Search&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=2002&as_maxd=30&as_maxm=1&as_maxy=2004>
    or shorter
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?U1A324047

    Me
    why?, Jan 30, 2004
  7. > Example URL, to see what type of ad it is?

    http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/tvpdb?d=tvp&...inistry of Mayhem&progutn=1075569900&.intl=uk

    > If it's flash, you should be able to right click , untick play.

    It is flash but it plays no matter what I tick.

    > I am still fine tuning the Outpost options, but it blocks ads quite
    > nicely.
    >
    > You could look for previous suggestions,

    I had a look and picked up a trial of adscleaner. This blocks just about
    everything, but not flash as far as I can tell :(
    David Sadtwat, Jan 31, 2004
  8. David Sadtwat

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:52:01 +0000, David Sadtwat pecked at a keyboard in
    panic:

    >> Example URL, to see what type of ad it is?

    > http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/tvpdb?d=tvp&...inistry of Mayhem&progutn=1075569900&.intl=uk
    >
    >> If it's flash, you should be able to right click , untick play.

    > It is flash but it plays no matter what I tick.
    >
    >> I am still fine tuning the Outpost options, but it blocks ads quite
    >> nicely.
    >>
    >> You could look for previous suggestions,

    > I had a look and picked up a trial of adscleaner. This blocks just about
    > everything, but not flash as far as I can tell :(

    Jesus, the whole bloody page is ads. All I saw was a bit of text and a
    menu on the left. Use a hosts file to kill them.

    http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html

    --
    B.Al.Zeebub
    Registered Linux User #339345
    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 31, 2004
  9. >
    http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/tvpdb?d=tvp&...inistry of Mayhem&progutn=1075569900&.intl=uk

    > > If it's flash, you should be able to right click , untick play.

    > It is flash but it plays no matter what I tick.
    >
    > > I am still fine tuning the Outpost options, but it blocks ads quite
    > > nicely.
    > >
    > > You could look for previous suggestions,

    > I had a look and picked up a trial of Adscleaner. This blocks just about
    > everything, but not flash as far as I can tell :(

    Woah! I just found that it could block Flash by clicking the add and
    unselecting "show all". I'm sure that didn't work before....
    David Sadtwat, Jan 31, 2004
  10. David Sadtwat

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:52:01 -0000, David Sadtwat wrote:

    >> Example URL, to see what type of ad it is?

    >http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/tvpdb?d=tvp&...inistry of Mayhem&progutn=1075569900&.intl=uk
    >
    >> If it's flash, you should be able to right click , untick play.

    >It is flash but it plays no matter what I tick.

    >> I am still fine tuning the Outpost options, but it blocks ads quite
    >> nicely.

    Outpost blocked this fine, I had to turn off Outpost and clear the
    browser cache before I could see it.

    Oh, forgot to say I also had to change browsers from Mozilla (which has
    ad/image blocking) to MSIE.

    why?, Jan 31, 2004
  11. > > I had a look and picked up a trial of Adscleaner.

    Woah ... I just found out that it seems to consume 30% of system resources!
    David Sadtwat, Jan 31, 2004
  12. David Sadtwat

    trout Guest

    David Sadtwat wrote:

    >> Example URL, to see what type of ad it is?

    http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/tvpdb?d=tvp&...inistry of Mayhem&progutn=1075569900&.intl=uk

    >> If it's flash, you should be able to right click , untick play.

    > It is flash but it plays no matter what I tick.
    >
    >> I am still fine tuning the Outpost options, but it blocks ads quite
    >> nicely.
    >>
    >> You could look for previous suggestions,

    > I had a look and picked up a trial of adscleaner. This blocks just
    > about
    > everything, but not flash as far as I can tell :(

    You could also have a look at FreeSurfer MK II:
    http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen/FS/fs.htm

    It's a good all-round pop-up blocker, and also has options to
    disable .gifs and Flash animations.
    --
    "And, it's freeware."
    trout, Jan 31, 2004