    recently ported to voipfone.

    --
    K.

    kkm, Jun 18, 2010

  2. In article <>, kkm <> wrote:

    >Has anyone experience of using any of the sip softphones (such as
    >sipdroid) for the android operating system.
    >
    >I'm thinking in terms of a data only contract on one of the new android
    >tablet devices. I know the data service provider might want to block sip
    >traffic, but would it be OK on wi-fi from a hotspot where one had
    >access?

    I've no experience with Andriod, but I do use a Nokia N900 with it's
    built-in SIP software.

    If using 3G, then you obviously need to be in a 3G enabled location
    for the network you're with... I don't think any currently block VoIP -
    at least O2 (who I'm with) don't seem to....

    Wi-Fi is fine too - but Wi-Fi is rubbish for VoIP - unless it's very
    carefully controlled. On public access points you might "get away" with
    it, but do not rely on it. It's trivially easy for another user of the
    same access point to saturate the link to the extent that voice quality
    will be unusable.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Jun 18, 2010

  3. kkm

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 20:48:27 +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

    > "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, kkm <>
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone experience of using any of the sip softphones (such as
    >>>sipdroid) for the android operating system.
    >>>
    >>>I'm thinking in terms of a data only contract on one of the new android
    >>>tablet devices. I know the data service provider might want to block
    >>>sip traffic, but would it be OK on wi-fi from a hotspot where one had
    >>>access?

    >> I've no experience with Andriod, but I do use a Nokia N900 with it's
    >> built-in SIP software.
    >>
    >> If using 3G, then you obviously need to be in a 3G enabled location for
    >> the network you're with... I don't think any currently block VoIP - at
    >> least O2 (who I'm with) don't seem to....

    > But they do prohibit it in their T&C (unless you pay for the industrial
    > £25 pcm bolt on) so watch out.
    >
    > Voip over 3G can be very jumpy and inbound calls often miss.
    >

    >> Wi-Fi is fine too - but Wi-Fi is rubbish for VoIP - unless it's very
    >> carefully controlled.

    > I find Wi-fi excellent for Voip (on an N79) - check your settings.
    >
    >> On public access points you might "get away" with
    >> it, but do not rely on it. It's trivially easy for another user of the
    >> same access point to saturate the link to the extent that voice quality
    >> will be unusable.
    >>
    >> Gordon

    I agree with Gordon. Voip over WiFi on my N95 8GB is excellent. Over 3G
    though I have found it to be very poor.
    I think that my next phone will have the Android OS. The concern I have
    re voip clients is that some are reportedly heavy on battery use. The
    Nokia client on the N95 seems to be OK. For me a suitable SIP voip client
    and wifi are essential features. When I got the N95 there wasn't a
    suitable touch screen phone on the market. So I'd be interested to hear
    of any performance reports on Android SIP voip clients.My next phone has
    to have a bright, better technology, screen, be touchscreen, have all the
    features of the N95 and be freely customisable.
    btw. Can someone invent an 'iPhone/iPad/Apple/Steve Jobs' filter - sick
    of hearing about them!!

    --
    Please remove 'no_spam_' from email address. SAVE THE BBC Sign petition
    http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_bbc/

    Brian A, Jun 19, 2010
  4. In article <>,
    R. Mark Clayton <> wrote:

    >"Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, kkm <>
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone experience of using any of the sip softphones (such as
    >>>sipdroid) for the android operating system.
    >>>
    >>>I'm thinking in terms of a data only contract on one of the new android
    >>>tablet devices. I know the data service provider might want to block sip
    >>>traffic, but would it be OK on wi-fi from a hotspot where one had
    >>>access?

    >> I've no experience with Andriod, but I do use a Nokia N900 with it's
    >> built-in SIP software.
    >>
    >> If using 3G, then you obviously need to be in a 3G enabled location
    >> for the network you're with... I don't think any currently block VoIP -
    >> at least O2 (who I'm with) don't seem to....

    >But they do prohibit it in their T&C (unless you pay for the industrial £25
    >pcm bolt on) so watch out.

    I rarely use VoIp while in 3G coverage - I have a mobiel phone for that.

    >Voip over 3G can be very jumpy and inbound calls often miss.

    Indeed. I did have a client use a 3D dongle off a router for VoIp for a
    few months until they moved and got ADSL. Forgot to ask him what network
    though, but he seemed happy with it.

    >> Wi-Fi is fine too - but Wi-Fi is rubbish for VoIP - unless it's very
    >> carefully controlled.

    >I find Wi-fi excellent for Voip (on an N79) - check your settings.

    My settings are fine. It works fine, but it's trivially easy to stop it
    working. Wi-Fi is not a good carrier medium for VoIP unless it's very
    carefully controlled, so in-general, it's rubbish for VoIP because it's
    trivially easy for one user doing downloads or uploads to disrupt VoIP.

    >> On public access points you might "get away" with
    >> it, but do not rely on it. It's trivially easy for another user of the
    >> same access point to saturate the link to the extent that voice quality
    >> will be unusable.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Jun 19, 2010
  5. kkm

    androidguy

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    Hi,

    In answer to your original question, I would recommend the Orbtalk Softphone. I have had experience of using it as a salesperson attending meetings and I find it to be perfect for my needs! You can transfer and record calls. Also, I can participate in conference calls on the move and use DTMF for IVRs. I would highly recommend it.

    You can get it on Google Play.

    androidguy, Apr 3, 2014