Android People app, 'call'/'text' actions and VOIP softphones

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Theo Markettos, Feb 6, 2013.

  1. Nexus 7, running Android 4.1. It's the wifi only version, so has no GSM
    radio. To make voice calls I have two apps installed: Skype and MobileVOIP
    (a SIP client from Betamax for their myriad of different brands).

    In the 'People' display of the tablet, I get a list of contacts. It has
    entries like:

    John Smith
    Voice: +44 1234567890

    If I press on 'Voice' I get to choose either Skype or MobileVOIP. If I
    press Skype, Skype starts, flashes up an error and closes. If I press
    MobileVOIP it opens to send a text to +44 1234567890. It doesn't offer to
    make a call. I can make calls just fine from using either app
    directly.

    How do I distinguish between the action of making a voice call and sending a
    text? Both of which I want to do at different times, and both to the same
    number. I can't seem to find in Android how to set the associations either,
    to say 'use app X by default for calls'.

    Thanks
    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Feb 6, 2013

  2. Theo Markettos

    Woody Guest

    "Theo Markettos" <> wrote in
    message news:YRA*...

    > Nexus 7, running Android 4.1. It's the wifi only version, so
    > has no GSM
    > radio. To make voice calls I have two apps installed: Skype
    > and MobileVOIP
    > (a SIP client from Betamax for their myriad of different
    > brands).
    >
    > In the 'People' display of the tablet, I get a list of
    > contacts. It has
    > entries like:
    >
    > John Smith
    > Voice: +44 1234567890
    >
    > If I press on 'Voice' I get to choose either Skype or
    > MobileVOIP. If I
    > press Skype, Skype starts, flashes up an error and closes. If
    > I press
    > MobileVOIP it opens to send a text to +44 1234567890. It
    > doesn't offer to
    > make a call. I can make calls just fine from using either app
    > directly.
    >
    > How do I distinguish between the action of making a voice call
    > and sending a
    > text? Both of which I want to do at different times, and both
    > to the same
    > number. I can't seem to find in Android how to set the
    > associations either,
    > to say 'use app X by default for calls'.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Theo

    I use Sipdroid which suits my needs. If I start it then close it
    it stays running in the background. Thereafter if I want to send
    a text or make a call, at the point of action it comes up and
    asks if I want to send it by phone or 'network.' I admit however
    that my VOIP connection would be over wi-fi, not over the
    Internet via a phone-based service.

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

    Woody, Feb 7, 2013

  3. On 06/02/13 22:05, Theo Markettos wrote:
    > Nexus 7, running Android 4.1. It's the wifi only version, so has no GSM
    > radio. To make voice calls I have two apps installed: Skype and MobileVOIP
    > (a SIP client from Betamax for their myriad of different brands).
    >
    > In the 'People' display of the tablet, I get a list of contacts. It has
    > entries like:
    >
    > John Smith
    > Voice: +44 1234567890
    >
    > If I press on 'Voice' I get to choose either Skype or MobileVOIP. If I
    > press Skype, Skype starts, flashes up an error and closes. If I press
    > MobileVOIP it opens to send a text to +44 1234567890. It doesn't offer to
    > make a call. I can make calls just fine from using either app
    > directly.
    >
    > How do I distinguish between the action of making a voice call and sending a
    > text? Both of which I want to do at different times, and both to the same
    > number. I can't seem to find in Android how to set the associations either,
    > to say 'use app X by default for calls'.

    I am using a Nexus 7 and MobileVoIP, but I get the opposite, I can make
    calls OK, but when I try and send a text, it looks like it has been sent but
    never arrives. I don't use texting very often so I have not bothered trying
    to sort it out, but I suspected it might be something to do with SMS
    settings somewhere, but could not find any to alter so I gave up. At least
    we both now know that it can work with both texting and calls :)

    Harry Stottle, Feb 7, 2013
  4. In comp.mobile.android Harry Stottle <> wrote:
    > I am using a Nexus 7 and MobileVoIP, but I get the opposite, I can make
    > calls OK, but when I try and send a text, it looks like it has been sent but
    > never arrives. I don't use texting very often so I have not bothered trying
    > to sort it out, but I suspected it might be something to do with SMS
    > settings somewhere, but could not find any to alter so I gave up. At least
    > we both now know that it can work with both texting and calls :)

    Hmm... I haven't used it much, so I just sent a test text... which hasn't
    arrived. So I think we're agreed that texting doesn't work. I've used the
    WebSMS app with Betamax Connector which does work, but Betamax recently
    broke the balance check function.

    Which leads to another question... when Android offers a menu for an action
    (call, text, open web page, etc) is there a way to remove some apps from
    this menu? If neither Skype or MobileVOIP work for sending texts, I don't
    want them to be offered. I can set one app to always be used, but can I
    edit the available options?

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Feb 7, 2013