    Ok I give up. If it is not a phone, then what is it?

    As I own one, I certainly can make phone calls on it.
    Now try that with an Ipad.

    richard, Nov 16, 2010

  2. richard

    XS11E Guest

    richard <> wrote:

    > According to Evan Platt who made this earth shocking statement in
    > a reply in another group stated the android is NOT a phone.
    >
    > Ok I give up. If it is not a phone, then what is it?

    Android is an operating system just as Windows and Linux are operating
    systems.

    The Android OS is used on some cell phones which are often referred to
    as Android phones, just as some PCs running Windows OS are often
    referred to a Windows PCs.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Nov 16, 2010

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 22:23:51 -0700, XS11E wrote:

    > richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> According to Evan Platt who made this earth shocking statement in
    >> a reply in another group stated the android is NOT a phone.
    >>
    >> Ok I give up. If it is not a phone, then what is it?

    > Android is an operating system just as Windows and Linux are operating
    > systems.
    >
    > The Android OS is used on some cell phones which are often referred to
    > as Android phones, just as some PCs running Windows OS are often
    > referred to a Windows PCs.

    Answer the question dude. Is it not a phone or is it?
    It's basic function is that of a cell phone. The OS allows for the
    operation of various applications that turn it into a pseudo computer.
    In my opinion, the droid is not a computer.

    richard, Nov 16, 2010
  4. richard

    G. Morgan Guest

    richard <> wrote:

    >Answer the question dude. Is it not a phone or is it?
    >It's basic function is that of a cell phone. The OS allows for the
    >operation of various applications that turn it into a pseudo computer.
    >In my opinion, the droid is not a computer.

    Android all by itself is an operating system. If you have a "Droid" that would
    be a phone with Android running as it's O/S. Android is a variant of Linux.

    So as to whether a Droid is a phone or a computer, I'd have to say it's a
    computer with telephony abilities.

    With the ability to tether the "phone", you can also create a router with a
    built-in WIFI hotspot.

    Since it runs applications like Open Office, it certainly acts like it wants to
    be a computer.

    With applications like Skype and Google Voice the line is getting really blurry
    between a phone and PC or PC variant.

    G. Morgan, Nov 16, 2010
  5. richard

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 16/11/2010 04:54, richard wrote:
    > According to Evan Platt who made this earth shocking statement in a reply
    > in another group stated the android is NOT a phone.
    >
    > Ok I give up. If it is not a phone, then what is it?

    It's an operating system you dumbass.

    > As I own one, I certainly can make phone calls on it.

    No, you own a mobile phone capable of running the Android operating system.

    > Now try that with an Ipad.

    An Ipad is not a phone.

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 16, 2010
  6. richard wrote:

    > Ok I give up.

    You should.

    It must be hard to type with all those feet in your mouth... <lol!>

    --
    -bts
    -In a broadband world, you are just a dialup

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 16, 2010
  7. richard

    Mike Yetto Guest

    richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 22:23:51 -0700, XS11E wrote:

    >> richard <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> According to Evan Platt who made this earth shocking statement in
    >>> a reply in another group stated the android is NOT a phone.
    >>>
    >>> Ok I give up. If it is not a phone, then what is it?

    >> Android is an operating system just as Windows and Linux are operating
    >> systems.
    >>
    >> The Android OS is used on some cell phones which are often referred to
    >> as Android phones, just as some PCs running Windows OS are often
    >> referred to a Windows PCs.

    >Answer the question dude. Is it not a phone or is it?

    He answered the question. As a matter of fact, I gave the answer
    recently in another thread. Android is an operating system based
    on Linux, you could call it a specialized Linux distribution.

    >It's basic function is that of a cell phone. The OS allows for the
    >operation of various applications that turn it into a pseudo computer.

    If a smart-phone runs a curtailed version of Windows, does that make
    your PC a phone?

    >In my opinion, the droid is not a computer.

    It is a phone that is smarter than RtS.

    Mike "RtS is a non-operating system" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Nov 16, 2010
  8. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:54:59 -0700, richard wrote:

    > According to Evan Platt who made this earth shocking statement in a
    > reply in another group stated the android is NOT a phone.

    Android is the operating system.

    Meat Plow, Nov 16, 2010
  9. richard

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Evan Platt <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 22:40:10 -0700, richard <>
    >wrote:

    >>Answer the question dude.

    >X11SE did.

    >>Is it not a phone or is it?

    >It's neither. It's an Operating System.

    >>It's basic function is that of a cell phone.

    >No, it's basic function is that of an operating system.

    >An application installed on that operating system makes calls.

    >>The OS allows for the >operation of various applications that turn it into a pseudo computer.
    >>In my opinion, the droid is not a computer.

    >The "Droid" is a phone.

    To be precise a "Droid" is a phone manufactured by Motorola.

    >Android is an operating system

    That, apparently, isn't the android he's looking for.

    >I know, tough concepts for you to grasp.

    RtS has trouble grasping concepts because he tries to use his
    thumbs. The concepts aren't concrete enough for him.

    Mike "hand him some real concrete" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Nov 16, 2010
  10. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    Meat Plow, Nov 16, 2010
  11. richard

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 16/11/2010 04:54, richard wrote:
    > According to Evan Platt who made this earth shocking statement in a reply
    > in another group stated the android is NOT a phone.
    >
    > Ok I give up. If it is not a phone, then what is it?
    >
    > As I own one, I certainly can make phone calls on it.
    > Now try that with an Ipad.

    And here's the proof that it's an operating system.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

    Now we will sit back and watch you backpedal cos I very much doubt in
    spite of the overwhelming evidence that you are wrong you are going to
    admit that you are wrong - yet again.

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 16, 2010
  12. Mike Yetto wrote:

    > Evan Platt writes:
    >> richard the sto0pid wrote:
    >>> Answer the question dude.

    >> Android is an operating system

    > That, apparently, isn't the android he's looking for.

    I've got it! RtS is looking for .. um ..

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Androids_Dream_of_Electric_Sheep?

    --
    -bts
    -Two sheep = a wintertime of warmth

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 16, 2010
  13. richard

    G. Morgan Guest

    Mike Yetto <> wrote:

    >Mike "hand him some real concrete" Yetto

    And two 5 gallon buckets. Meet me at the pier 19 right before dusk.

    G. Morgan, Nov 16, 2010
  14. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 07:51:42 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:

    > Evan Platt <> writes and having writ
    > moves on.
    >>On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 22:40:10 -0700, richard <> wrote:

    >>>Answer the question dude.

    >>X11SE did.

    >>>Is it not a phone or is it?

    >>It's neither. It's an Operating System.

    >>>It's basic function is that of a cell phone.

    >>No, it's basic function is that of an operating system.

    >>An application installed on that operating system makes calls.

    >>>The OS allows for the >operation of various applications that turn it
    >>>into a pseudo computer. In my opinion, the droid is not a computer.

    >>The "Droid" is a phone.

    > To be precise a "Droid" is a phone manufactured by Motorola.

    There is a Droid Incredible made by HTC.

    Meat Plow, Nov 16, 2010
  15. richard

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:54:59 -0700, richard wrote:

    > According to Evan Platt who made this earth shocking statement in a reply
    > in another group stated the android is NOT a phone.
    >
    > Ok I give up. If it is not a phone, then what is it?
    >
    > As I own one, I certainly can make phone calls on it.
    > Now try that with an Ipad.

    This is what I call a telephone: http://goo.gl/iPU9H
    That Android thing you have is some kind of High Tech Digital
    Communication Device and doesn't resemble a telephone in way shape or
    form. A good telephone has to have miles and miles of copper wire
    run all over the countryside with telephone poles along side the
    roadway for drunks to run into. Now that said, I can talk to my baby
    sister (70 years young) in ND over the phone lines using my computer
    and a program called Skype, do we call that a telephone or what? All
    said and done, I am totally fascinated by the advancements in
    electronics and communications, but remember the telephone poles are
    still there so drive carefully. :) Maybe Evan is right.
    --
    11/16/2010 8:13:07 AM CST
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo38, Nov 16, 2010
  16. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    richard wrote:

    > Answer the question dude. Is it not a phone or is it?

    You should act more nicely and less abrasively, especially since your
    position on some issues is so often wrong, it makes your rudeness all
    the more boorish.

    > In my opinion, the droid is not a computer.

    wiki: "Droid, brand name of a number of Android (operating system)-based
    smartphones from multiple manufacturers: <lists 3 Motorolas and 2 HTCs>

    Android = an OS for smartphones
    Droid = brand name for several smartphones

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 16, 2010
  17. richard

    Jaya Guest

    "Old Gringo38" <> a écrit dans le message de groupe
    de discussion : f7uuqxr3e9pm$...
    On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:54:59 -0700, richard wrote:

    > According to Evan Platt who made this earth shocking statement in a reply
    > in another group stated the android is NOT a phone.
    >
    > Ok I give up. If it is not a phone, then what is it?
    >
    > As I own one, I certainly can make phone calls on it.
    > Now try that with an Ipad.

    [snip]

    Evan is sure right according to this explanation :

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

    Jaya, Nov 16, 2010
  18. richard

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 10:20:16 -0500, Jaya wrote:

    > "Old Gringo38" <> a écrit dans le message de groupe
    > de discussion : f7uuqxr3e9pm$...
    > On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:54:59 -0700, richard wrote:
    >
    >> According to Evan Platt who made this earth shocking statement in a reply
    >> in another group stated the android is NOT a phone.
    >>
    >> Ok I give up. If it is not a phone, then what is it?
    >>
    >> As I own one, I certainly can make phone calls on it.
    >> Now try that with an Ipad.

    > [snip]

    <Snit>
    Your reply should have been directed to the OP, as I don't personally
    give a shit what you have to say.

    --
    11/16/2010 9:24:16 AM CST

    Old Gringo38, Nov 16, 2010
  19. richard

    G. Morgan Guest

    "Jaya" <> wrote:

    >Evan is sure right according to this explanation :
    >
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

    There were half a dozen correct replies before Evan posted. Anyone who needs a
    Wiki page to explain Android OS must have been hiding under a rock the last 2
    years.

    G. Morgan, Nov 16, 2010
  20. G. Morgan <> clarified thusly:

    > "Jaya" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Evan is sure right according to this explanation :
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

    > There were half a dozen correct replies before Evan posted. Anyone who
    > needs a Wiki page to explain Android OS must have been hiding under a
    > rock the last 2 years.

    "Wiki page"? Is there a Google to explain "a wiki page"?

    JK.

    HTH.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and on the
    'AWESOMENESS METER', I am about two clicks

    You should not view the world in terms
    and finding acceptance of them as such.

    I could help you with that... but...
    I really just don't like you that much.

    Repent! The end is near! Or, smoke 'em if you got 'em...
    an-nnnn-dh... *good* "luck" - if there's an apocalypse.

    (And some condoms... because I wouldn't want to be the first guy who
    survives the apocolypse on Murray Povich staring at DNA child support.)

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 16, 2010