    upgrading?
    Cheers
    Troy

    Kiwiboy, Feb 1, 2011

  2. On 1 Feb, 22:37, Kiwiboy <> wrote:
    > Hi All
    > A couple of questions, does anyone know what the minimum hardware
    > specs required will be for the new Android 3.0, and also how
    > difficult
    > is it to upgrade the Android operating system?
    > I am getting a generic Chinese 7inch tablet running Android 2.1, and
    > will be very keen to put 3.0 on it when it comes out as that is being
    > built with tablets in mind.
    > Are there any Android experts out there who can pass on some tips for
    > upgrading?
    > Cheers
    > Troy

    Can you get 2.2 or 2.3 on it?

    Nathan Mercer, Feb 1, 2011

  3. Kiwiboy

    Richard Guest

    On 1/02/2011 10:37 p.m., Kiwiboy wrote:
    > Hi All
    > A couple of questions, does anyone know what the minimum hardware
    > specs required will be for the new Android 3.0, and also how
    > difficult
    > is it to upgrade the Android operating system?
    > I am getting a generic Chinese 7inch tablet running Android 2.1, and
    > will be very keen to put 3.0 on it when it comes out as that is being
    > built with tablets in mind.
    > Are there any Android experts out there who can pass on some tips for
    > upgrading?
    > Cheers
    > Troy

    Dont count on any upgrades - hell, its on 2.1 not even 2.2 so if they
    are not going to upgrade it to be at least current, then what hope is
    there for the future?

    Richard, Feb 1, 2011
  4. Kiwiboy

    Kiwiboy Guest

    On Feb 2, 12:09 am, Nathan Mercer <> wrote:
    > On 1 Feb, 22:37, Kiwiboy <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi All
    > > A couple of questions, does anyone know what the minimum hardware
    > > specs required will be for the new Android 3.0, and also how
    > > difficult
    > > is it to upgrade the Android operating system?
    > > I am getting a generic Chinese 7inch tablet running Android 2.1, and
    > > will be very keen to put 3.0 on it when it comes out as that is being
    > > built with tablets in mind.
    > > Are there any Android experts out there who can pass on some tips for
    > > upgrading?
    > > Cheers
    > > Troy

    > Can you get 2.2 or 2.3 on it?

    Well....that is part of the same question - I am assuming it will be
    the same process to upgrade to 2.2 or 2.3, so I thought I may as well
    just go for 3.0 when it comes out as that is the one that is made for
    tablets.
    So my question is..... are they any minimum hardware requirements for
    3.0 (or 2.3 or 2.2 for interest) and what is the process you do to
    upgrade (to any of them etc)
    Cheers

    Kiwiboy, Feb 2, 2011
  5. Kiwiboy

    Kiwiboy Guest

    Kiwiboy, Feb 2, 2011
  6. Kiwiboy

    Spam Begone Guest

    On 1/02/2011 10:37 p.m., Kiwiboy wrote:
    > Hi All
    > A couple of questions, does anyone know what the minimum hardware
    > specs required will be for the new Android 3.0, and also how
    > difficult
    > is it to upgrade the Android operating system?
    > I am getting a generic Chinese 7inch tablet running Android 2.1, and
    > will be very keen to put 3.0 on it when it comes out as that is being
    > built with tablets in mind.
    > Are there any Android experts out there who can pass on some tips for
    > upgrading?
    > Cheers
    > Troy

    You could try asking in the Android platform at

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp

    Spam Begone, Feb 2, 2011
  7. Kiwiboy

    Simon Guest

    On Feb 2, 2:49 pm, Kiwiboy <> wrote:
    > On Feb 2, 12:23 am, Richard <> wrote:
    >

    > > On 1/02/2011 10:37 p.m., Kiwiboy wrote:

    > > > Hi All
    > > > A couple of questions, does anyone know what the minimum hardware
    > > > specs required will be for the new Android 3.0, and also how
    > > > difficult
    > > > is it to upgrade the Android operating system?
    > > > I am getting a generic Chinese 7inch tablet running Android 2.1, and
    > > > will be very keen to put 3.0 on it when it comes out as that is being
    > > > built with tablets in mind.
    > > > Are there any Android experts out there who can pass on some tips for
    > > > upgrading?
    > > > Cheers
    > > > Troy

    > > Dont count on any upgrades - hell, its on 2.1 not even 2.2 so if they
    > > are not going to upgrade it to be at least current, then what hope is
    > > there for the future?

    > Well....that is part of the same question - I am assuming it will be
    > the same process to upgrade to 2.2 or 2.3, so I thought I may as well
    > just go for 3.0 when it comes out as that is the one that is made for
    > tablets.
    > So my question is..... are they any minimum hardware requirements for
    > 3.0 (or 2.3 or 2.2 for interest) and what is the process you do to
    > upgrade (to any of them etc)
    > Cheers

    The bottom line is - right now, we don't know, as Google simply
    haven't released enough information.

    At the bear minimum, you're very likely to require some new ROM's for
    the tablet, and with the cheapies YMMV as to whether you'll be able to
    do it, let alone have a stable OS that runs at sufficient speed to be
    useful.

    As per the post below, as in the Geekzone forums and see if anyone has
    further information.

    Simon, Feb 2, 2011
  8. Kiwiboy

    Kiwiboy Guest

    On Feb 2, 7:28 pm, Simon <> wrote:
    > On Feb 2, 2:49 pm, Kiwiboy <> wrote:

    > > > Dont count on any upgrades - hell, its on 2.1 not even 2.2 so if they
    > > > are not going to upgrade it to be at least current, then what hope is
    > > > there for the future?

    > > Well....that is part of the same question - I am assuming it will be
    > > the same process to upgrade to 2.2 or 2.3, so I thought I may as well
    > > just go for 3.0 when it comes out as that is the one that is made for
    > > tablets.
    > > So my question is..... are they any minimum hardware requirements for
    > > 3.0 (or 2.3 or 2.2 for interest) and what is the process you do to
    > > upgrade (to any of them etc)
    > > Cheers

    > The bottom line is - right now, we don't know, as Google simply
    > haven't released enough information.
    >
    > At the bear minimum, you're very likely to require some new ROM's for
    > the tablet, and with the cheapies YMMV as to whether you'll be able to
    > do it, let alone have a stable OS that runs at sufficient speed to be
    > useful.
    >
    > As per the post below, as in the Geekzone forums and see if anyone has
    > further information.

    Thanks for reply guys - have posted to the Geekzone.
    While we may not know the minimum specs for 3.0 yet, as 2.2 and 2.3
    are out, what are they do you know? The tablet I am getting has an
    800Mhz CPU with 256Mb RAM and video hardware, any chance that could
    run it?
    And am I correct in thinking, that if I root the tablet, and have
    access to the bootloader I could then pretty much load any ROM?
    I have done this kind of thing a few times with some HP Ipaqs running
    Windows Mobile 6.1 German, and I had to install an English Rom on it
    instead. In those situations, I had to find the correct buttons to
    push for the specific model phone to get into bootloader mode - is
    this the same sort of thing that will happen with Android?
    Cheers
    Troy

    Kiwiboy, Feb 2, 2011
  9. Kiwiboy

    Kiwiboy Guest

    On Feb 2, 9:20 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > On 2/02/2011 8:21 p.m., Kiwiboy wrote:
    >
    > > And am I correct in thinking, that if I root the tablet, and have
    > > access to the bootloader I could then pretty much load any ROM?
    > > I have done this kind of thing a few times with some HP Ipaqs running
    > > Windows Mobile 6.1 German, and I had to install an English Rom on it
    > > instead. In those situations, I had to find the correct buttons to
    > > push for the specific model phone to get into bootloader mode - is
    > > this the same sort of thing that will happen with Android?

    > Yes - that is the experience of one of my colleagues who has bricked a
    > couple of Chinese tablets (Pandawill X10 from memory) and resurrected
    > them.  I believe he found a site in Russian with a good guide and he has
    > translated and worked through it and uploaded an English version
    > somewhere.  I'll ask him for a link when he's back from leave.

    That would be awesome thanks - really appreciate it.
    Cheers
    Troy

    Kiwiboy, Feb 2, 2011