And so it starts.......

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/07/hd_dvd_movies_announced/

    CES 2005 While games publisher Vivendi Universal was touting its
    support for the Blu-ray Disc format yesterday, the movie business in
    which it owns a 20 per cent stake, Universal Studios, was announcing
    plans to release 16 HD DVD titles in the US.

    It was joined by Paramount, which will ship the first titles from its
    initial 20-strong list of HD DVD products in Q4 2005, and by Warner
    Bros., which plans to lead the field with a catalogue of 50 HD DVD
    titles, again commencing Q4 2005.

    Warner's line-up includes titles from Lord of the Rings producer New
    Line Entertainment - though the studio did not yesterday commit itself
    to offering those movies, in either their cinema or extended versions,
    on the new format. The 50-title list also include HBO productions The
    Sopranos and Angels in America.

    All these releases will be pitched at the US home video market. None
    of the companies concerned were willing to discuss when European
    roll-outs are likely to take place. DVD-style region coding is
    expected to be imposed on all future releases.

    It's also certain that a premium will be imposed on the new content,
    with disc prices only approaching those of DVDs today when the market
    matures. So like Super Audio CD and DVD Audio, HD DVD is likely to
    start out as a niche product, priced accordingly. Certainly, the
    studio representatives speaking to reporters yesterday gave no
    indication that price will be used to drive HD DVD into the
    mainstream. Instead, they're relying on the level of HD TV ownership
    to steer consumers toward the new format.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Jan 10, 2005

  2. Allan

    DB Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/07/hd_dvd_movies_announced/
    >
    > CES 2005 While games publisher Vivendi Universal was touting its
    > support for the Blu-ray Disc format yesterday, the movie business in
    > which it owns a 20 per cent stake, Universal Studios, was announcing
    > plans to release 16 HD DVD titles in the US.
    >
    > It was joined by Paramount, which will ship the first titles from its
    > initial 20-strong list of HD DVD products in Q4 2005, and by Warner
    > Bros., which plans to lead the field with a catalogue of 50 HD DVD
    > titles, again commencing Q4 2005.
    >
    > Warner's line-up includes titles from Lord of the Rings producer New
    > Line Entertainment - though the studio did not yesterday commit itself
    > to offering those movies, in either their cinema or extended versions,
    > on the new format. The 50-title list also include HBO productions The
    > Sopranos and Angels in America.
    >
    > All these releases will be pitched at the US home video market. None
    > of the companies concerned were willing to discuss when European
    > roll-outs are likely to take place. DVD-style region coding is
    > expected to be imposed on all future releases.
    >
    > It's also certain that a premium will be imposed on the new content,
    > with disc prices only approaching those of DVDs today when the market
    > matures. So like Super Audio CD and DVD Audio, HD DVD is likely to
    > start out as a niche product, priced accordingly. Certainly, the
    > studio representatives speaking to reporters yesterday gave no
    > indication that price will be used to drive HD DVD into the
    > mainstream. Instead, they're relying on the level of HD TV ownership
    > to steer consumers toward the new format.
    >

    > "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
    > because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable

    from
    > -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free

    time."
    > - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Unless I ever go out and buy a full home theatre system complete with
    projector and screen I will never adopt the HD format or spend the money on
    a new format. As long as dvd's can be played I will never switch. Why?
    Because there will always be better. The reality is is that the dvd format
    looks awesome as iti is. The human eye can only appreciate so much. Unless
    we want to keep replacing our collections, we have to draw the line
    somewhere. There will always be a dvd player to play my discs same as you
    can still buy a new turntable (used is another story). As for the new titles
    that are HD or blue-ray only, who cares most new films are not worth owning
    on dvd anyway.
    DB, Jan 11, 2005

  3. Allan

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    Allan <> wrote:

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/07/hd_dvd_movies_announced/
    >
    > CES 2005 While games publisher Vivendi Universal was touting its
    > support for the Blu-ray Disc format yesterday, the movie business in
    > which it owns a 20 per cent stake, Universal Studios, was announcing
    > plans to release 16 HD DVD titles in the US.
    >
    > It was joined by Paramount, which will ship the first titles from its
    > initial 20-strong list of HD DVD products in Q4 2005, and by Warner
    > Bros., which plans to lead the field with a catalogue of 50 HD DVD
    > titles, again commencing Q4 2005.
    >
    > Warner's line-up includes titles from Lord of the Rings producer New
    > Line Entertainment - though the studio did not yesterday commit itself
    > to offering those movies, in either their cinema or extended versions,
    > on the new format. The 50-title list also include HBO productions The
    > Sopranos and Angels in America.

    *yawn*

    Black Locust, Jan 11, 2005
  4. Allan

    Joe Blow Guest

    DB wrote:
    > Unless I ever go out and buy a full home theatre system complete with
    > projector and screen I will never adopt the HD format or spend the money on
    > a new format. As long as dvd's can be played I will never switch. Why?
    > Because there will always be better. The reality is is that the dvd format
    > looks awesome as iti is. The human eye can only appreciate so much. Unless
    > we want to keep replacing our collections, we have to draw the line
    > somewhere. There will always be a dvd player to play my discs same as you
    > can still buy a new turntable (used is another story). As for the new titles
    > that are HD or blue-ray only, who cares most new films are not worth owning
    > on dvd anyway.

    Amen to that. However, for home entertainment purposes, I can't imagine
    why I'd ever want to invest in blue-ray technology since HD DVD is
    backwards compatible. With HD DVD I wouldn't have to use my current
    collection of DVDs as drink coasters.

    JB
    Joe Blow, Jan 11, 2005
  5. Allan

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Joe Blow" <> wrote in message
    > Amen to that. However, for home entertainment purposes, I can't
    > imagine
    > why I'd ever want to invest in blue-ray technology since HD DVD is
    > backwards compatible. With HD DVD I wouldn't have to use my current
    > collection of DVDs as drink coasters.

    Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players will be backwards compatible with
    existing DVDs.
    Joshua Zyber, Jan 11, 2005
  6. Allan

    Joe Blow Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:

    > "Joe Blow" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Amen to that. However, for home entertainment purposes, I can't
    >>imagine
    >>why I'd ever want to invest in blue-ray technology since HD DVD is
    >>backwards compatible. With HD DVD I wouldn't have to use my current
    >>collection of DVDs as drink coasters.

    > Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players will be backwards compatible with
    > existing DVDs.

    You're right, my mistake. There was once suggestion by would-be
    manufactureres of Blue Ray players that they wouldn't
    make the players backwards compatible because the costs would be
    too high. This is what I was thinking about.

    JB
    Joe Blow, Jan 11, 2005
  7. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Joe Blow" <> wrote in message
    > Joshua Zyber wrote:
    >
    >> "Joe Blow" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Amen to that. However, for home entertainment purposes, I can't imagine
    >>>why I'd ever want to invest in blue-ray technology since HD DVD is
    >>>backwards compatible. With HD DVD I wouldn't have to use my current
    >>>collection of DVDs as drink coasters.

    >> Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players will be backwards compatible with
    >> existing DVDs.

    > You're right, my mistake. There was once suggestion by would-be
    > manufactureres of Blue Ray players that they wouldn't
    > make the players backwards compatible because the costs would be
    > too high. This is what I was thinking about.
    >
    > JB

    And it will happen this way:

    1. Gadget guys will buy expensive HD.
    2. Enough margin will allow costs to go down.
    3. Middle end gadget people will buy.
    4. Costs go further down.
    5. HD TVs and Recorders are on sale for $130 at Walmart.

    Takeover.
    Alpha, Jan 11, 2005
  8. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    PS

    The time scale is just about generational, so replacing everything is not as
    big an issue as most suspect.
    Alpha, Jan 11, 2005
  9. Allan

    Joe Blow Guest

    Alpha wrote:

    > PS
    >
    > The time scale is just about generational, so replacing everything is not as
    > big an issue as most suspect.

    The thing is that when watching VHS back in the day I never thought to
    myself, "Wow...this picture just can't get any sharper." With DVD
    and the burgeoning new blue laser media I think to myself, "Should I
    care if this picture could be sharper?"

    (of course, Blue Ray and so forth will be great for data storage, but
    for movies...who cares?)

    JB
    Joe Blow, Jan 11, 2005
  10. Allan

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Joe Blow" <> wrote in message
    > The thing is that when watching VHS back in the day I never thought to
    > myself, "Wow...this picture just can't get any sharper." With DVD
    > and the burgeoning new blue laser media I think to myself, "Should I
    > care if this picture could be sharper?"

    Many of us were saying things like that about laserdisc.

    We were wrong.
    Joshua Zyber, Jan 11, 2005
  11. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:22:07 GMT, Joe Blow <>
    wrote:

    >The thing is that when watching VHS back in the day I never thought to
    >myself, "Wow...this picture just can't get any sharper." With DVD
    >and the burgeoning new blue laser media I think to myself, "Should I
    >care if this picture could be sharper?"
    >
    >(of course, Blue Ray and so forth will be great for data storage, but
    >for movies...who cares?)

    Who cares if Blu-Ray releases are "Sharper"??? Silly statement.

    I for one will be selling a majority of my 450+ DVD collection...
    while they are actually worth something.

    Sales of Large screen TV's are going through the roof. Folks bring
    them home and realize that Cable generally looks like shit on the
    large screen (Excluding HD Broadcasts).

    While DVD's can look good... they don't compare to proper HD.

    Once folks have seen the quality of Blu-Ray (Which I have) the
    'collectors' will move to HD.

    Everything will be released again in HD, the movie studios love to
    sell their material over and over again.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Jan 11, 2005
  12. Allan

    Jon Purkey Guest

    I have poor vision so have zero interest in the new format when it
    comes to improved picture. However, if it can be used to put an entire
    season of a TV series or several movies on one DVD then I might be
    interested in getting it once the price comes down.
    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)
    Jon Purkey, Jan 11, 2005
  13. "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "Joe Blow" <> wrote in message
    >> Amen to that. However, for home entertainment purposes, I can't imagine
    >> why I'd ever want to invest in blue-ray technology since HD DVD is
    >> backwards compatible. With HD DVD I wouldn't have to use my current
    >> collection of DVDs as drink coasters.

    > Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players will be backwards compatible with existing
    > DVDs.

    What's the difference between Blu-Ray and HD? Will there be an electronics
    manufacturer that will make a player that plays both formats?

    Deborah Proctor
    Debbie Proctor, Jan 11, 2005
  14. Allan

    Justin Guest

    Joe Blow wrote on [Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:22:07 GMT]:
    > Alpha wrote:
    >
    >> PS
    >>
    >> The time scale is just about generational, so replacing everything is not as
    >> big an issue as most suspect.

    > The thing is that when watching VHS back in the day I never thought to
    > myself, "Wow...this picture just can't get any sharper." With DVD
    > and the burgeoning new blue laser media I think to myself, "Should I
    > care if this picture could be sharper?"

    My biggest concern, and why I only had 5 or 6 VHS movies, was that VHS
    was built in obsolescence. DVDs shouldn't degrade either over time or
    each time you play them. Whether that's true or not is another question,
    but it was a guarantee with VHS.

    Now, there are a few things I'd like to see implemented in newer
    standards, like different fonts and font colours and possible even being
    able to implement karaoke effects for subtitled Anime or what not, but I
    don't see a reason to replace every movie in my collection the second a
    new standard comes out.

    As for new titles only available on a certain platform, this happened
    with DVD and VHS, and the VHS eventually was released anyway.
    Justin, Jan 11, 2005
  15. Allan

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Debbie Proctor" <> wrote in message
    > What's the difference between Blu-Ray and HD?

    Competing formats from different manufacturers. Similar to DVD-Audio and
    SACD, the end results will be pretty much the same and virtually
    indistinguishable to the end consumer, but the way they go about it is
    different.

    > Will there be an electronics manufacturer that will make a player
    > that plays both formats?

    Maybe eventually, but not at first.
    Joshua Zyber, Jan 12, 2005
  16. Allan

    docdude316 Guest

    Allan wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:22:07 GMT, Joe Blow <>
    > wrote:

    <snip>
    > Everything will be released again in HD, the movie studios love to
    > sell their material over and over again.

    Just look at how many times Lucas has released Star Wars. I think he
    released it on VHS 3 times and then there's the new DVD edition. Also
    from what I hear there's going to be a extra special extended edition
    released after Revenge of the Sith.

    -Doc
    docdude316, Jan 12, 2005
  17. Allan

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <_NJEd.4128$>,
    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:

    > Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players will be backwards compatible with
    > existing DVDs.

    In the beginning. Then the hardware companies and movie studios will
    realize people are not re-buying their favorite movies over again and
    will pull backwards compability from all their future models citing
    "productions costs too high to continue producing backwards compatible
    players" or some nonsense like that.

    The reality is the movie studios have become from spoiled from the
    gargantuan success of DVDs and now want lightning to strike twice so
    they can make another 30 billion dollars. Problem is, they seem to have
    forgotten that the regular DVD format hasn't even come close to running
    it's course yet. All I have is a 27" analog television and no 5.1
    surround system to boot. What good does Blu-Ray or HD-DVD do me? What
    good does it do the estimated 80% of US homes out there that don't have
    HDTV? I'm going to boycott any HD format for the foreseeable furture
    myself. It's nothing but a waste of money IMO.
    Black Locust, Jan 12, 2005
  18. Allan

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "Alpha" <> wrote:

    > And it will happen this way:
    >
    > 1. Gadget guys will buy expensive HD.
    > 2. Enough margin will allow costs to go down.
    > 3. Middle end gadget people will buy.
    > 4. Costs go further down.
    > 5. HD TVs and Recorders are on sale for $130 at Walmart.
    >
    > Takeover.

    Or it could go this way:

    1. CD sales go down the crapper thanks to a little thing called the MP3
    and greedy record labels overcharging the customer on CDs for many years.
    2. Record labels struggle to find a solution and decide to try a higher
    quality format out.
    3. The idiots can't decide on one format, so both DVD-A and SACD are
    released at the same time.
    4. Customer is confused by the two competing formats and decides to
    stick with good ol' regular CDs.
    5. The 20 year old CD technology remains the dominant format and people
    continue to download illegal MP3s by the truckload.

    Complete failure.
    Black Locust, Jan 12, 2005
  19. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:01:17 -0600, Black Locust <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >
    >> And it will happen this way:
    >>
    >> 1. Gadget guys will buy expensive HD.
    >> 2. Enough margin will allow costs to go down.
    >> 3. Middle end gadget people will buy.
    >> 4. Costs go further down.
    >> 5. HD TVs and Recorders are on sale for $130 at Walmart.
    >>
    >> Takeover.

    >Or it could go this way:
    >
    >1. CD sales go down the crapper thanks to a little thing called the MP3
    >and greedy record labels overcharging the customer on CDs for many years.
    >2. Record labels struggle to find a solution and decide to try a higher
    >quality format out.
    >3. The idiots can't decide on one format, so both DVD-A and SACD are
    >released at the same time.
    >4. Customer is confused by the two competing formats and decides to
    >stick with good ol' regular CDs.
    >5. The 20 year old CD technology remains the dominant format and people
    >continue to download illegal MP3s by the truckload.
    >
    >Complete failure.

    We are talking DVD's here.... not music.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Jan 12, 2005
  20. Allan

    Java Jive Guest

    Not necessarily. The technological wayside is littered with the wrecks of
    technologies that didn't make it. Whatever happened to Betamax, which was
    supposed to be better than VHS, open-reel tape which was certainly far
    superior to ACs, quadraphonic, and multi-tracks?

    When it came out in the 70s, I went into a Sony showroom in Oxford St and
    listened to quadraphonic and decided that the step up from stereo to quad
    was nothing like as dramatic and worthwhile as the step-up from mono to
    stereo had been. It seems that everyone else made the same value for money
    decision.

    There comes a point in the evolution of every system of reproduction,
    whether it be a computer and printer, a photocopier, a camera, a hifi or
    video system, that it's good enough for most people, and anything else is
    overkill, and is likely to fall by the wayside. I suspect that DVDs are
    that point in video, just as CDs are in audio.

    Java Jive, Jan 12, 2005