And now for something COMPLETELY different...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Jan 27, 2009.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Hi gang,

    About 4.5 years ago an inkjet printer manufacturer ran an ad.

    I have posted it in alt.binaries.test.gogo, 4faces.jpg.

    It has been driving me insane ever since. (But it's SO much work
    to turn on the scanner...)

    Two faces are instantly visible. The third took a few moments.

    ///WTF is the fourth one?///

    In case you don't have the capability to circle the faces and
    post the new image, I am supplying coordinates so you can tell
    me where the 4 faces are. I am not marking the 3 I can see so as
    not to influence/wreck the results.

    --
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are."
    Anais Nin
    thanatoid, Jan 27, 2009

  2. thanatoid

    Keyser Söze Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in message

    > Hi gang,
    >
    > About 4.5 years ago an inkjet printer manufacturer ran an ad.
    >
    > I have posted it in alt.binaries.test.gogo, 4faces.jpg.
    >
    > It has been driving me insane ever since. (But it's SO much work
    > to turn on the scanner...)
    >
    > Two faces are instantly visible. The third took a few moments.
    >
    > ///WTF is the fourth one?///
    >
    > In case you don't have the capability to circle the faces and
    > post the new image, I am supplying coordinates so you can tell
    > me where the 4 faces are. I am not marking the 3 I can see so as
    > not to influence/wreck the results.

    'Negative' view may reveal all.

    --
    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in froups, parties,
    nations, and epochs it is the rule [sic]. Nietzsche
    Keyser Söze, Jan 27, 2009

  3. thanatoid

    Keyser Söze Guest

    philo <> wrote in message

    > "Keyser Söze" <> wrote in message
    >> thanatoid <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Hi gang,
    >>>
    >>> About 4.5 years ago an inkjet printer manufacturer ran an ad.
    >>>
    >>> I have posted it in alt.binaries.test.gogo, 4faces.jpg.
    >>>
    >>> It has been driving me insane ever since. (But it's SO much work
    >>> to turn on the scanner...)
    >>>
    >>> Two faces are instantly visible. The third took a few moments.
    >>>
    >>> ///WTF is the fourth one?///
    >>>
    >>> In case you don't have the capability to circle the faces and
    >>> post the new image, I am supplying coordinates so you can tell
    >>> me where the 4 faces are. I am not marking the 3 I can see so as
    >>> not to influence/wreck the results.

    >> 'Negative' view may reveal all.
    >>

    > Didn't need a negative space image,
    > all the faces were in the rocks,
    > just one was large and in the foreground
    > so easy to miss

    I don't know about that as I couldn't gain access to the image, but that
    doesn't matter now.

    About forty years ago, I visited a family friend whose father had an
    'original' painting of a similar ilk - to the best of my recollection the
    subject matter was of naked African ladies (but I could be wrong, and that
    may just be wishful thinking) but that the ladies were painted in such a way
    it wasn't altogether obvious how many there were.

    Now, there were supposed to be fourteen of them, or perhaps rather 'faces'
    to be found - needless to say, after many visits and viewings of the
    painting I never did spot them 'all'.

    It's fair to say though, when such an image is created, only the artist or
    those close to the artist may ever know the true number of, 'faces' in that
    instance, there actually are; so in essence one could be chasing one's tail
    for those that may never actually exist [wait a minute, I've experienced
    that somewhere else before].

    Keyser Söze, Jan 27, 2009
  4. thanatoid

    Keyser Söze Guest

    Lookout <> wrote in message

    > On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 07:53:03 -0500, "Keyser Söze"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> thanatoid <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Hi gang,
    >>>
    >>> About 4.5 years ago an inkjet printer manufacturer ran an ad.
    >>>
    >>> I have posted it in alt.binaries.test.gogo, 4faces.jpg.
    >>>
    >>> It has been driving me insane ever since. (But it's SO much work
    >>> to turn on the scanner...)
    >>>
    >>> Two faces are instantly visible. The third took a few moments.
    >>>
    >>> ///WTF is the fourth one?///
    >>>
    >>> In case you don't have the capability to circle the faces and
    >>> post the new image, I am supplying coordinates so you can tell
    >>> me where the 4 faces are. I am not marking the 3 I can see so as
    >>> not to influence/wreck the results.

    >> 'Negative' view may reveal all.

    > Actually printing it in B\W does the trick.
    > I posted it in the gogo group.

    I looked but I didn't see.

    Keyser Söze, Jan 27, 2009
  5. thanatoid

    richard Guest

    On 27 Jan 2009 08:15:38 GMT, thanatoid <>
    wrote:

    >Hi gang,
    >
    >About 4.5 years ago an inkjet printer manufacturer ran an ad.
    >
    >I have posted it in alt.binaries.test.gogo, 4faces.jpg.
    >
    >It has been driving me insane ever since. (But it's SO much work
    >to turn on the scanner...)
    >
    >Two faces are instantly visible. The third took a few moments.
    >
    >///WTF is the fourth one?///
    >
    >In case you don't have the capability to circle the faces and
    >post the new image, I am supplying coordinates so you can tell
    >me where the 4 faces are. I am not marking the 3 I can see so as
    >not to influence/wreck the results.

    I am assuming the 4th face you question is the one hidden in the
    shadows. You can barely make out the mouth and nose.

    coordinates:
    1) G4 in foreground on back.
    2) D8 upper right corner
    3) D2 maybe a little tricky to see right off.
    4) E6 I can make out the left eye, nose and mouth.
    richard, Jan 27, 2009
  6. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in

    > "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi gang,
    >>
    >> About 4.5 years ago an inkjet printer manufacturer ran an
    >> ad.
    >>
    >> I have posted it in alt.binaries.test.gogo, 4faces.jpg.
    >>
    >> It has been driving me insane ever since. (But it's SO
    >> much work to turn on the scanner...)
    >>
    >> Two faces are instantly visible. The third took a few
    >> moments.
    >>
    >> ///WTF is the fourth one?///
    >>
    >> In case you don't have the capability to circle the faces
    >> and post the new image, I am supplying coordinates so you
    >> can tell me where the 4 faces are. I am not marking the 3
    >> I can see so as not to influence/wreck the results.
    >>

    > Maybe you missed to large , brown, face in the foreground?

    The one with the chest attached to it, lying down? No I didn't.

    I guess I did not make my post clear. Tell me where the F O U R
    faces are. I can find 3, but my 3 may not be your 3, although my
    1 is almost bound to be ONE of yours.

    thanatoid, Jan 28, 2009
  7. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "Keyser Söze" <> wrote in
    dimus:

    > thanatoid <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Hi gang,
    >>
    >> About 4.5 years ago an inkjet printer manufacturer ran an
    >> ad.
    >>
    >> I have posted it in alt.binaries.test.gogo, 4faces.jpg.
    >>
    >> It has been driving me insane ever since. (But it's SO
    >> much work to turn on the scanner...)
    >>
    >> Two faces are instantly visible. The third took a few
    >> moments.
    >>
    >> ///WTF is the fourth one?///
    >>
    >> In case you don't have the capability to circle the faces
    >> and post the new image, I am supplying coordinates so you
    >> can tell me where the 4 faces are. I am not marking the 3
    >> I can see so as not to influence/wreck the results.

    > 'Negative' view may reveal all.

    It hid one of the 3 I saw before. Not a bad idea, though.

    thanatoid, Jan 28, 2009
  8. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in

    > "Keyser Söze" <> wrote in message
    > .edimus...
    >> thanatoid <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Hi gang,
    >>>
    >>> About 4.5 years ago an inkjet printer manufacturer ran an
    >>> ad.
    >>>
    >>> I have posted it in alt.binaries.test.gogo, 4faces.jpg.
    >>>
    >>> It has been driving me insane ever since. (But it's SO
    >>> much work to turn on the scanner...)
    >>>
    >>> Two faces are instantly visible. The third took a few
    >>> moments.
    >>>
    >>> ///WTF is the fourth one?///
    >>>
    >>> In case you don't have the capability to circle the faces
    >>> and post the new image, I am supplying coordinates so you
    >>> can tell me where the 4 faces are. I am not marking the 3
    >>> I can see so as not to influence/wreck the results.

    >> 'Negative' view may reveal all.
    >>

    > Didn't need a negative space image,
    > all the faces were in the rocks,
    > just one was large and in the foreground
    > so easy to miss

    The company CLAIMS all 4 faces are in the rocks. A blind person
    would see the huge-ass one on the bottom. I am waiting for
    someone to tell me where all FOUR are.

    thanatoid, Jan 28, 2009
  9. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "Keyser Söze" <> wrote in
    dimus:

    <SNIP>

    > I don't know about that as I couldn't gain access to the
    > image, but that doesn't matter now.
    >
    > About forty years ago, I visited a family friend whose
    > father had an 'original' painting of a similar ilk - to the
    > best of my recollection the subject matter was of naked
    > African ladies (but I could be wrong, and that may just be
    > wishful thinking) but that the ladies were painted in such
    > a way it wasn't altogether obvious how many there were.
    >
    > Now, there were supposed to be fourteen of them, or perhaps
    > rather 'faces' to be found - needless to say, after many
    > visits and viewings of the painting I never did spot them
    > 'all'.
    >
    > It's fair to say though, when such an image is created,
    > only the artist or those close to the artist may ever know
    > the true number of, 'faces' in that instance, there
    > actually are; so in essence one could be chasing one's tail
    > for those that may never actually exist [wait a minute,
    > I've experienced that somewhere else before].

    We've all seen such trick drawings/paintings. Surely EVERYONE
    has seen the one where a bearded man's face {not unlike Fraud's,
    excuse me, Freud's) is a sprawling naked woman.

    This is an AD supposed to prove the (of course more than
    debatable) superiority of a product. So the damn 4 faces better
    be there, AND for all morons to see! I am NOT a complete moron,
    I have looked at the fucking image for 4.5 years (on and off)
    and while I DO see something which COULD be a 4th face is quite
    distorted and hardly visible and I would like another opinion
    but I can't tell you what 3 (or 4) I see first so as not to
    influence you.

    Sigh.

    thanatoid, Jan 28, 2009
  10. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Lookout <> wrote in

    > Actually printing it in B\W does the trick.
    > I posted it in the gogo group.

    Going there now, full of hope. The replies so far have been MOST
    disappointing.

    (...)

    OK, FINALLY. Yes, the one in the middle, vertical, dark,
    distorted, is what after about 3.5 years I decided MIGHT be the
    fourth face but I was not sure. Apparently you concur. Good eye
    - it took /me/ 3.5 years to find it.

    Thank you.

    P.S. Nice pointers.
    P.P.S. It never occurred to me to print it, but I'll convert it
    to gray now.

    --
    "We don't see faces as they are, we see things as Epson do."
    Ana Non
    thanatoid, Jan 28, 2009
  11. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Lookout <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    >>> Actually printing it in B\W does the trick.
    >>> I posted it in the gogo group.

    >>I looked but I didn't see.

    > Trying again. For some reason the whole thing didn't make
    > it. Look now.

    I was going to ask why you posted it twice, once in 2 parts and
    once in one part, this morning.

    > If you want someone who can find these..talk to an
    > Utrasound Tech. That's exactly what we have to look around
    > when we scan

    I don't know any u. techs.

    thanatoid, Jan 28, 2009
  12. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > I am assuming the 4th face you question is the one hidden
    > in the shadows. You can barely make out the mouth and nose.
    >
    > coordinates:
    > 1) G4 in foreground on back.
    > 2) D8 upper right corner
    > 3) D2 maybe a little tricky to see right off.
    > 4) E6 I can make out the left eye, nose and mouth.

    OK, that's 2 confirmations. Thanks very much, or as they say.
    "thanks for participating". :)

    thanatoid, Jan 28, 2009
  13. thanatoid

    Keyser Söze Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in message

    > "Keyser Söze" <> wrote in
    > dimus:
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> I don't know about that as I couldn't gain access to the
    >> image, but that doesn't matter now.
    >>
    >> About forty years ago, I visited a family friend whose
    >> father had an 'original' painting of a similar ilk - to the
    >> best of my recollection the subject matter was of naked
    >> African ladies (but I could be wrong, and that may just be
    >> wishful thinking) but that the ladies were painted in such
    >> a way it wasn't altogether obvious how many there were.
    >>
    >> Now, there were supposed to be fourteen of them, or perhaps
    >> rather 'faces' to be found - needless to say, after many
    >> visits and viewings of the painting I never did spot them
    >> 'all'.
    >>
    >> It's fair to say though, when such an image is created,
    >> only the artist or those close to the artist may ever know
    >> the true number of, 'faces' in that instance, there
    >> actually are; so in essence one could be chasing one's tail
    >> for those that may never actually exist [wait a minute,
    >> I've experienced that somewhere else before].

    > We've all seen such trick drawings/paintings. Surely EVERYONE
    > has seen the one where a bearded man's face {not unlike Fraud's,
    > excuse me, Freud's) is a sprawling naked woman.
    >
    > This is an AD supposed to prove the (of course more than
    > debatable) superiority of a product. So the damn 4 faces better
    > be there, AND for all morons to see! I am NOT a complete moron,
    > I have looked at the fucking image for 4.5 years (on and off)
    > and while I DO see something which COULD be a 4th face is quite
    > distorted and hardly visible and I would like another opinion
    > but I can't tell you what 3 (or 4) I see first so as not to
    > influence you.
    >
    > Sigh.

    As an aside but on the subject of ads, I had an avi or mpeg of a spoofed car
    ad which I can't find for love nor money.

    It goes a bit like this; The camera pans around to the right diplaying
    beatiful scenery (tranquil music playing) and closes in from a distance on a
    car meandering around a country road when all of a sudden the viewer has the
    crap shocked out them when a 'scarey' face appears right up close and
    personal to the camera.

    I'm not entirely sure, but it may have been a variation on a Honda ad.

    It was over ten years ago now; the only thing I have which resembles the
    'shock' factor is one I mailed relic a few years ago of tranquil scenes in
    still images when similar happened at the end of the ppt - I recall it
    nearly gave the poor old fucker a heart attack, bless 'im <chuckles> as of
    course it did me when I first saw it.

    Anyone remember that (got it)?

    Keyser Söze, Jan 28, 2009
  14. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Lookout <> wrote in

    > On 28 Jan 2009 01:43:29 GMT, thanatoid
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Lookout <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Actually printing it in B\W does the trick.
    >>> I posted it in the gogo group.
    >>>

    >>Going there now, full of hope. The replies so far have been
    >>MOST disappointing.
    >>
    >>(...)
    >>
    >>OK, FINALLY. Yes, the one in the middle, vertical, dark,
    >>distorted, is what after about 3.5 years I decided MIGHT be
    >>the fourth face but I was not sure. Apparently you concur.
    >>Good eye - it took /me/ 3.5 years to find it.
    >>
    >>Thank you.
    >>
    >>P.S. Nice pointers.
    >>P.P.S. It never occurred to me to print it, but I'll
    >>convert it to gray now.

    > It's there

    Well, actually, all the rocks being almost the same shade of
    sienna, it is practically greyscale anyway, but I did convert it
    to b&w and it did not make it stand out any better. Whatever,
    the 4.5 year puzzle is solved. Now, for the REST of my
    problems...

    thanatoid, Jan 28, 2009
  15. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "Keyser Söze" <> wrote in
    dimus:

    <SNIP>
    <SNIP>
    <SNIP>

    > Anyone remember that (got it)?

    Sorry, doesn't ring any bells but it sounds good.

    BTW, you DO realize it says "froups" in your sig?

    thanatoid, Jan 28, 2009
  16. thanatoid

    Keyser Söze Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in message

    > "Keyser Söze" <> wrote in
    > dimus:
    >
    > <SNIP>
    > <SNIP>
    > <SNIP>
    >

    >> Anyone remember that (got it)?

    > Sorry, doesn't ring any bells but it sounds good.

    No worries - I'll keep digging - Cheers.

    > BTW, you DO realize it says "froups" in your sig?

    Oh yes ;->

    'It's a bit tired now though'.

    --
    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,
    nations, and epochs it is the rule [sic]. Nietzsche
    Keyser Söze, Jan 28, 2009
  17. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Lookout <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    >>Well, actually, all the rocks being almost the same shade
    >>of sienna, it is practically greyscale anyway, but I did
    >>convert it to b&w and it did not make it stand out any
    >>better. Whatever, the 4.5 year puzzle is solved. Now, for
    >>the REST of my problems...

    > $175\hr

    /laughs out loud/

    I spent about 10 years in therapy in Canada where insurance paid
    for it, so it was $0/hr. She was pretty cute but it did nothing
    for me psycho-wise. I have paid in other places, same results.
    Some people should have just never been born. Me, of course, but
    come to think of it, most therapists as well. Fucking weasel
    liars. Would it fucking KILL them to say "You're hopeless, end
    it now" ??????

    thanatoid, Jan 28, 2009
  18. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "Keyser Söze" <> wrote in
    dimus:

    <SNIP>

    >> Sorry, doesn't ring any bells but it sounds good.

    > No worries - I'll keep digging - Cheers.
    >
    >> BTW, you DO realize it says "froups" in your sig?

    > Oh yes ;->
    >
    > 'It's a bit tired now though'.

    I take things very literally, so I do not get it. Would it be
    too much trouble to explain?

    thanatoid, Jan 28, 2009
  19. thanatoid

    Keyser Söze Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in message

    > "Keyser Söze" <> wrote in
    > dimus:
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> Sorry, doesn't ring any bells but it sounds good.

    >> No worries - I'll keep digging - Cheers.
    >>
    >>> BTW, you DO realize it says "froups" in your sig?

    >> Oh yes ;->
    >>
    >> 'It's a bit tired now though'.

    > I take things very literally, so I do not get it. Would it be
    > too much trouble to explain?

    That I had bastardised the quote by the eminent Nietzsche with the now
    'tired' alteration, I have chosen to return the quote to its former glory on
    the back of your comment, which for all intents and purposes, I do
    appreciate.

    Do I take it you thought 'tired' not to mean sleepy', but rather, 'rubber
    banded', as in 'tyred' being the UK expression of the 'tired' AmeriKKKan
    form ;-)

    --
    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,
    Keyser Söze, Jan 28, 2009
  20. thanatoid wrote:
    > Lookout <> wrote in
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> Well, actually, all the rocks being almost the same shade
    >>> of sienna, it is practically greyscale anyway, but I did
    >>> convert it to b&w and it did not make it stand out any
    >>> better. Whatever, the 4.5 year puzzle is solved. Now, for
    >>> the REST of my problems...

    >> $175\hr

    > /laughs out loud/
    >
    > I spent about 10 years in therapy in Canada where insurance paid
    > for it, so it was $0/hr. She was pretty cute but it did nothing
    > for me psycho-wise. I have paid in other places, same results.
    > Some people should have just never been born. Me, of course, but
    > come to think of it, most therapists as well. Fucking weasel
    > liars. Would it fucking KILL them to say "You're hopeless, end
    > it now" ??????

    Heh...psych was my minor. The problem with depressed people is they are
    usually too hard on themselves. "Happy" people are less judgemental of
    themselves and others. In most cases its due to a form of perfectonism.
    The bar will never be attained because it keeps getting set higher.
    Unless theres some organic brain dysfunction that *requires* a chemical
    intervention, therapies like NLP help a lot and "retrain" the
    individuals maladaptive thought patterns. Reframing is a big part of it.
    If yer interested:
    http://www.thetherapylounge.com/therapies/nlp

    HTH, really
    ^_^