    seems to fill up the whole screen (ie no black bars).

    With no black bars, is this what they call anamorphic DVD? Or is it
    non-anamorphic?
    RR, Oct 3, 2004

  2. RR

    John C. Chu Guest

    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/
    John C. Chu, Oct 3, 2004

  3. RR wrote:

    > Simple question, I rented a few DVD today and I noticed that Lion Gates
    > DVD movies seems to have a black bar (I have Samsung Widesceen HDTV with
    > component cable connected to a progressive scan DVD player) while others
    > seems to fill up the whole screen (ie no black bars).
    >
    > With no black bars, is this what they call anamorphic DVD? Or is it
    > non-anamorphic?

    Depends on the original aspect ratio - if 1:78 or 1:85
    then the anamorphic picture will fill a 16x9 widerscreen,
    if 2:35 then there will still be some black bars top and
    bottom but nowhere near as bad as old style letterboxing.

    drc :)
    Darrel Christenson, Oct 3, 2004
  4. RR

    Specialk Guest

    RR <> wrote:
    > Simple question, I rented a few DVD today and I noticed that Lion Gates
    > DVD movies seems to have a black bar (I have Samsung Widesceen HDTV with
    > component cable connected to a progressive scan DVD player) while others
    > seems to fill up the whole screen (ie no black bars).
    >
    > With no black bars, is this what they call anamorphic DVD? Or is it
    > non-anamorphic?

    If you have black bars on the top and bottom, but the image goes all the
    way to the sides, the video is anamorphic. Your TV is 16:9 (about 1.78:1).
    Many movies are are even wider. For example, Star Wars: Attack of the
    Clones, is about ~21:9 (2.35:1), so you will still have some black bars on
    the top and bottom (they just won't be as big as if you had a regular 4:3
    TV).

    You will know when you have a non-anamorphic video. When you view a non-
    anamorphic DVD on a widescreen TV, you will have black bars on the sides.
    If its a non-anamorphic widescreen DVD, you'll have black bars on all 4
    sides.
    Specialk, Oct 3, 2004