Analysing ATM / DSL / Dialer traffic

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by haydude, Jun 19, 2006.

  1. haydude

    haydude Guest

    Hi All,

    I have started analysing traffic on a 3640 using mrtg.

    The router has a WIC-1ADSL with a PPPoA dialer connecting to the ISP.
    The ATM (ADSL) has a subint configured.

    I have observed, using mrtg (mrtg collects stats on all the interfaces
    through SNMP) that:

    1) int ATM 0/0 reports apparently all the traffic going through the
    ATM (ADSL)
    2) int ATM 0/0.1-aal5 reports the traffic capped to the link uplink
    speed (in my case 448 Kbit/s). Downlink traffic going over that speed
    is truncated in the graph.
    3) int Dialer10 associated with the above ATM reports a traffic with
    speeds up to 56Kbit/s with an average of 16Kbit/s and a shape that
    differs from the graph reported by ATM 0/0 and 0/0.1, having some peaks
    when there is no activity on the ATM.

    My question is:

    is the Dialer interface traffic reported, related to the PPPoA protocol
    synchronization/authentication? Should this be the case, what is
    reported would represent a significant overhead on the total available
    bandwidth, is there any way to contain it?

    HD

    haydude, Jun 19, 2006