    My Olympus analogue/tape device records OK but there's too much hiss and
    background noise - I have to filter it out using PC software....

    Just wondering if digital would produce better sound levels.....

    Advid, Dec 30, 2005

  2. Advid

    Mitch Guest

    In article <dp3d25$4cp$2surf.net>, Advid <>
    wrote:

    > ...does a Digital Voice Recorder (dictaphone ect) have a better signal to
    > noise ratio than an analogue voice recorder ???
    >
    > ie NO tape hiss as there is no tape (or moving parts) ....
    >
    > I want to use one to monitor very low external noise levels....
    >
    > My Olympus analogue/tape device records OK but there's too much hiss and
    > background noise - I have to filter it out using PC software....
    >
    > Just wondering if digital would produce better sound levels.....

    Sounds like your bigger poblem is the source, not the recording medium.
    You can amplify the signal before you record it, but you have to figure
    something that 's better for sensing than what you were using if the
    tape hiss was interfering.

    Mitch, Dec 30, 2005

  3. Advid

    The Shed Guest

    "Advid" <> wrote in message
    > ...does a Digital Voice Recorder (dictaphone ect) have a better signal
    > noise ratio than an analogue voice recorder ???
    >
    > ie NO tape hiss as there is no tape (or moving parts) ....
    >
    > I want to use one to monitor very low external noise levels....
    >
    > My Olympus analogue/tape device records OK but there's too much hiss
    > and
    > background noise - I have to filter it out using PC software....
    >
    > Just wondering if digital would produce better sound levels.....

    Exactly what low level sound are you trying to capture?
    Digital will have no tape hiss ,but would suggest the "microphone" you
    are using is not sensitive enough for your application

    The Shed, Dec 30, 2005
  4. Advid

    PC Guest

    "Advid" <> wrote in message
    > ...does a Digital Voice Recorder (dictaphone ect) have a better signal to
    > noise ratio than an analogue voice recorder ???
    >
    > ie NO tape hiss as there is no tape (or moving parts) ....
    >
    > I want to use one to monitor very low external noise levels....
    >
    > My Olympus analogue/tape device records OK but there's too much hiss and
    > background noise - I have to filter it out using PC software....
    >
    > Just wondering if digital would produce better sound levels.....

    As a general class 'dictaphones' are not particularly good recorders.
    They are designed to record the 'voice' spectrum in the main.

    It would help to know what you are trying to record!

    Paul.

    PC, Dec 31, 2005
  5. On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:55:01 +1300, PC wrote:

    > "Advid" <> wrote in message

    >> I want to use one to monitor very low external noise levels....

    > It would help to know what you are trying to record!

    But we already do, do we not?

    For the sort of recording you want to do, a high-quality digital outfit is
    called for ... not necessarily expensive; if you know the territory you
    can hunt around and find bargains. But a "Dictaphone" type of machine is
    not, as the above replyer said, what you want to use.

    Gary G. Taylor, Jan 1, 2006
  6. Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:55:01 +1300, PC wrote:
    >
    >> "Advid" <> wrote in message

    >>> I want to use one to monitor very low external noise levels....

    >> It would help to know what you are trying to record!

    > But we already do, do we not?
    >
    > For the sort of recording you want to do, a high-quality digital outfit is
    > called for ... not necessarily expensive; if you know the territory you
    > can hunt around and find bargains. But a "Dictaphone" type of machine is
    > not, as the above replyer said, what you want to use.

    Hey, Gary -- I don't think I've seen you around these parts in a while.
    Assuming I have that right, welcome back and happy NY.

    --
    Blinky
    Killfiling all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 1, 2006
  7. On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 03:09:12 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Hey, Gary -- I don't think I've seen you around these parts in a while.
    > Assuming I have that right, welcome back and happy NY.

    Thanks, Finny. I went into hospital at the end of March with a bad staph
    infection--I was oh you tee, in a coma, and they got me there in the nick
    of time. Two months to clear the infection and another three of dickering
    back and forth to figure out where to put me next; I'm now in another
    nurtzing home in Pomona|anomoP. As soon as I get cataract surgery to
    restore my eyesight I'm into a rehab program to get into my own place
    somewhere in Hollywood, whoopee!

    Oh, and hello to everyone else. :)

    Gary G. Taylor, Jan 2, 2006
  8. Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 03:09:12 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Hey, Gary -- I don't think I've seen you around these parts in a while.
    >> Assuming I have that right, welcome back and happy NY.

    > Thanks, Finny. I went into hospital at the end of March with a bad staph
    > infection--I was oh you tee, in a coma, and they got me there in the nick
    > of time. Two months to clear the infection and another three of dickering

    Happened to me in '01. Three weeks in two hospitals, and immune system
    collapse (not, not AIDS) that they couldn't figure out, threats of a bone
    marrow transplant; then, after giving myself daily shots of a
    $350-each-dose drug for about a year, I got better.

    > back and forth to figure out where to put me next; I'm now in another
    > nurtzing home in Pomona|anomoP. As soon as I get cataract surgery to
    > restore my eyesight I'm into a rehab program to get into my own place
    > somewhere in Hollywood, whoopee!

    Best wishes with the recover[y|ies], Gary.

    --
    Blinky Reg Linux User 297263
    Killfiling all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 2, 2006
  9. Advid

    DC Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    >> On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 03:09:12 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Hey, Gary -- I don't think I've seen you around these parts in a while.
    >>> Assuming I have that right, welcome back and happy NY.

    >> Thanks, Finny. I went into hospital at the end of March with a bad staph
    >> infection--I was oh you tee, in a coma, and they got me there in the nick
    >> of time. Two months to clear the infection and another three of dickering

    > Happened to me in '01. Three weeks in two hospitals, and immune system
    > collapse (not, not AIDS) that they couldn't figure out, threats of a bone
    > marrow transplant; then, after giving myself daily shots of a
    > $350-each-dose drug for about a year, I got better.

    Well, thank goodness for the drugs! You'd be swimming pretty fucking
    funny with bone marrow injected into in your cartilage. }:O)

    >> back and forth to figure out where to put me next; I'm now in another
    >> nurtzing home in Pomona|anomoP. As soon as I get cataract surgery to
    >> restore my eyesight I'm into a rehab program to get into my own place
    >> somewhere in Hollywood, whoopee!

    > Best wishes with the recover[y|ies], Gary.

    Ditto, that.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many'
    and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

    DC, Jan 2, 2006
  10. DC wrote:

    >> Happened to me in '01. Three weeks in two hospitals, and immune system
    >> collapse (not, not AIDS) that they couldn't figure out, threats of a bone
    >> marrow transplant; then, after giving myself daily shots of a
    >> $350-each-dose drug for about a year, I got better.

    > Well, thank goodness for the drugs! You'd be swimming pretty fucking
    > funny with bone marrow injected into in your cartilage. }:O)

    I kept *telling* them my body would reject it.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 2, 2006
  11. On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 20:41:56 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Happened to me in '01. Three weeks in two hospitals, and immune system
    > collapse (not, not AIDS) that they couldn't figure out, threats of a bone
    > marrow transplant; then, after giving myself daily shots of a
    > $350-each-dose drug for about a year, I got better.

    OUCH! Jeez. I was (actually, still am a little) infected with the MRSA
    strain of antibiotic-resistant staph, and they've had to give me some more
    drips while here. But it seems to have cleared up finally ... it entered
    through a wound in my thigh where my wheelchair gouged a wheel in it (and
    where I can't feel cuz of the paralysis). The fucker's taken about ten
    months to almost heal up ... cross fingers.

    And thanks for the best wishes.

    Gary G. Taylor, Jan 2, 2006