Analog transfer, and Hard Drive Space..DVD drive as alternative?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Dave in WA, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. Dave in WA

    Dave in WA Guest

    I was able to transfer 1 of my 10 8mm analog tapes to my 360 gig HD it was
    about 25Gig. I'm using Pinnacle Studio 9.1 (se) that came with my Canon
    Optura40. Pinnacle has a feature that will calculate the total hours that
    will fit on your HD, based on transfer rate and avalable space. Per that
    calculation I can store 20 hours on the HD. Problem is that would max out
    the HD and I would have little room for editing. I fugure anything over 50%
    would be a real preoblem with video editing. Now I could do a few at a
    time, and move stuff around then burn to DVD and do a few more....problem is
    they are all mixed up, not sequental. Yes the 1st few are earlier than the
    last few...but after 3 you start to get overlap. (we would sometime start a
    new tape, have room to spare and then use that blank tape in a pinch years
    later, penny wise pound foolish, not advised)

    Here aremy questions:

    Can I burn each 2 hour tape to DVD (they seem to fit), in the avi un editied
    form, then work from my two DVD drives to do editing of 2 tapes at a time?

    or option 2 transfer from DVD to HD, edit and burn and delete the HD working
    copy, continuen to add disks to the DVD drive till I have the total
    sequential package?

    or option 3, combine the above two and transfer 2 DVD to the HD and read
    from two different DVD from my 2 drives?

    You can see by my choices I'm looking to have 2-4 tapes avalable do my
    edition and then burn and keep the DVD "masters" for archive.

    Basically I need to get the images off the tape, in a format I can use and
    not clog the HD and/or need to buy an external drive.

    Also is .avi the best uncompressed format to use? Looking to get the
    best/largest resolution at DVD burn.

    Thanks in advance.

    Dave in WA, Sep 6, 2004

  2. Dave in WA

    ON2DVD Guest

    Dave.

    Man you made me read your post a few times, and then I gave up trying to
    understand exactly what your doing. :) sorry.

    I think you need to forget about making DVD's until you have the DV tapes in
    chronological order. You can do this by viewing the time and date code on
    your tapes. Get yourself a few blank DV tapes and start at the beginning and
    try to rearange it by dubbing from DV tape to DV tape with 2 Dv camcorders.
    Thers is no easy way to do this because you did make it hard for yourself. I
    think it will be easier to use pen and paper and log the sequence you want
    in what order, but yes, you are going to have to watch a lot of it ot at
    least scan fast through it all.
    Then when you have it all in order on Dv tapes you can capture 2 x 60 min
    tapes in succession and edit, then back out to a new DV tape for archival.
    (don't archive DVD's) and you can reuse the other Dv tape once you have the
    edited one back to that new tape. Then make a DVD and erase the whole thing
    once you have completed it. That's what I would do anyway.

    Regs
    http://www.on2dvd.com.au

    ON2DVD, Sep 6, 2004

  3. Dave in WA

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Dave in WA" <> wrote in message
    >I was able to transfer 1 of my 10 8mm analog tapes to my 360 gig HD it was
    > about 25Gig. I'm using Pinnacle Studio 9.1 (se) that came with my Canon
    > Optura40. Pinnacle has a feature that will calculate the total hours that
    > will fit on your HD, based on transfer rate and avalable space. Per that
    > calculation I can store 20 hours on the HD. Problem is that would max out
    > the HD and I would have little room for editing. I fugure anything over
    > 50%
    > would be a real preoblem with video editing. Now I could do a few at a
    > time, and move stuff around then burn to DVD and do a few more....problem
    > is
    > they are all mixed up, not sequental. Yes the 1st few are earlier than
    > the
    > last few...but after 3 you start to get overlap. (we would sometime start
    > new tape, have room to spare and then use that blank tape in a pinch years
    > later, penny wise pound foolish, not advised)
    >
    > Here aremy questions:
    >
    > Can I burn each 2 hour tape to DVD (they seem to fit), in the avi un
    > editied
    > form, then work from my two DVD drives to do editing of 2 tapes at a time?
    >
    > or option 2 transfer from DVD to HD, edit and burn and delete the HD
    > working
    > copy, continuen to add disks to the DVD drive till I have the total
    > sequential package?
    >
    > or option 3, combine the above two and transfer 2 DVD to the HD and read
    > from two different DVD from my 2 drives?
    >
    > You can see by my choices I'm looking to have 2-4 tapes avalable do my
    > edition and then burn and keep the DVD "masters" for archive.
    >
    > Basically I need to get the images off the tape, in a format I can use and
    > not clog the HD and/or need to buy an external drive.
    >
    > Also is .avi the best uncompressed format to use? Looking to get the
    > best/largest resolution at DVD burn.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    You might consider using "Virtual CD/DVD" drives for your
    editing www.virtualcd-online.com but you are going to want
    very large, very fast hard drives.

    I'm not into video production so can't really commit on your
    overall idea.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Sep 6, 2004
  4. Dave in WA

    Dave in WA Guest

    I have analong.

    Want to convert to DV and Burn to DVD, after editing. (with themes:
    Holidays, or just my sisters kids...just my kids sports etc)

    Don't want to load all on HD and cause computer to slow/crash or buy
    andditional HD for it all to fit.

    If I transfer from tape to DVD, no editing, just a streight transfer....

    can I work off the DVD (switching as needed to build theme) to do
    editing...then reburn the edited version to another DVD? (keep the original
    as archive)

    Dave in WA, Sep 6, 2004
  5. Dave in WA

    ON2DVD Guest

    The short answer is no.

    Well, there's always a way, but in this case it's not going to be advisable
    because it's not quite so easy to edit Mpeg as it is Dv and the quality is
    what's important so keep the masters in DV.
    FWIW, Canopus Edius is a very good editor that can edit DV and Mpeg
    seamlessly.

    ON2DVD, Sep 6, 2004
  6. Dave in WA

    Larry Guest

    In article <1jY_c.2797$BQ4.329@trnddc06>, says...
    > I have analong.
    >
    > Want to convert to DV and Burn to DVD, after editing. (with themes:
    > Holidays, or just my sisters kids...just my kids sports etc)
    >
    > Don't want to load all on HD and cause computer to slow/crash or buy
    > andditional HD for it all to fit.
    >
    > If I transfer from tape to DVD, no editing, just a streight transfer....
    >
    > can I work off the DVD (switching as needed to build theme) to do
    > editing...then reburn the edited version to another DVD? (keep the original
    > as archive)
    >
    > "ON2DVD" <mark@remove_on2dvd.com.au> wrote in message
    > > Dave.
    > >
    > > Man you made me read your post a few times, and then I gave up trying to
    > > understand exactly what your doing. :) sorry.
    > >
    > > I think you need to forget about making DVD's until you have the DV tapes

    > in
    > > chronological order. You can do this by viewing the time and date code on
    > > your tapes. Get yourself a few blank DV tapes and start at the beginning

    > and
    > > try to rearange it by dubbing from DV tape to DV tape with 2 Dv

    > camcorders.
    > > Thers is no easy way to do this because you did make it hard for yourself.

    > > think it will be easier to use pen and paper and log the sequence you want
    > > in what order, but yes, you are going to have to watch a lot of it ot at
    > > least scan fast through it all.
    > > Then when you have it all in order on Dv tapes you can capture 2 x 60 min
    > > tapes in succession and edit, then back out to a new DV tape for archival.
    > > (don't archive DVD's) and you can reuse the other Dv tape once you have

    > the
    > > edited one back to that new tape. Then make a DVD and erase the whole

    > thing
    > > once you have completed it. That's what I would do anyway.
    > >
    > > Regs
    > > http://www.on2dvd.com.au
    > >

    > > "Dave in WA" <> wrote in message

    The quick answer to your question is NO...

    You cant do what you want without LOTS of hd space. (where are you going to
    edit???) You have to put it onto the hard drive to edit it, and video eats
    enormous amounts of hard drive space.

    Editing video will not "slow down" your computer, but rendering it into
    usable form (mpg files for dvd burning) will consume a lot of time and even
    the fastest/latest computer systems dont do it in "real time". It can take
    several hours to render a short video from dv to high quality mpg file.

    Depending on the software you are using you may then have to render the mpg
    files into vob files, then burn the disk.

    I have spent as much as 8 hours getting a 20 minute video ready to burn,
    with only minimum editing needed (on a 3ghz machine with fast hard
    drives).Most of that time was consumed by rendering.

    I have also had it take 2 hours to get the same job done, using software that
    took the edited dv file and built the dvd structure to the hard drive.

    Which way would you rather do it?

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Sep 6, 2004
  7. Dave in WA

    booser Guest

    > Editing video will not "slow down" your computer, but rendering it into
    > usable form (mpg files for dvd burning) will consume a lot of time and

    even
    > the fastest/latest computer systems dont do it in "real time". It can take
    > several hours to render a short video from dv to high quality mpg file.

    That is certainly untrue. You can convert mpeg2 in real time. I do it on a
    2ghz p4. The trick is not to use windows. The problem is with windows is
    their is no much overhead in doing anything, that your performance drops to
    a minimum. You simply have too many layers to go through in order to get
    done what you have to do get done. Some Unix converters can actually do it
    in real time. Mostly because the codecs are more optimized and don't have
    to go through so much overhead.

    booser, Sep 6, 2004
  8. Dave in WA

    Rogers Guest

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:19:23 GMT, "Dave in WA" <>
    wrote:

    >I was able to transfer 1 of my 10 8mm analog tapes to my 360 gig HD it was
    >about 25Gig. I'm using Pinnacle Studio 9.1 (se) that came with my Canon
    >Optura40. Pinnacle has a feature that will calculate the total hours that
    >will fit on your HD, based on transfer rate and avalable space. Per that
    >calculation I can store 20 hours on the HD. Problem is that would max out
    >the HD and I would have little room for editing. I fugure anything over 50%
    >would be a real preoblem with video editing. Now I could do a few at a
    >time, and move stuff around then burn to DVD and do a few more....problem is
    >they are all mixed up, not sequental. Yes the 1st few are earlier than the
    >last few...but after 3 you start to get overlap. (we would sometime start a
    >new tape, have room to spare and then use that blank tape in a pinch years
    >later, penny wise pound foolish, not advised)
    >
    >Here aremy questions:
    >
    >Can I burn each 2 hour tape to DVD (they seem to fit), in the avi un editied
    >form, then work from my two DVD drives to do editing of 2 tapes at a time?
    >
    >or option 2 transfer from DVD to HD, edit and burn and delete the HD working
    >copy, continuen to add disks to the DVD drive till I have the total
    >sequential package?
    >
    >or option 3, combine the above two and transfer 2 DVD to the HD and read
    >from two different DVD from my 2 drives?
    >
    >You can see by my choices I'm looking to have 2-4 tapes avalable do my
    >edition and then burn and keep the DVD "masters" for archive.
    >
    >Basically I need to get the images off the tape, in a format I can use and
    >not clog the HD and/or need to buy an external drive.
    >
    >Also is .avi the best uncompressed format to use? Looking to get the
    >best/largest resolution at DVD burn.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    Buy a dvd recorder. Recorders connect to a tv set much like a vcr
    does. These go for as little as $400 in oz or pay a bit more and get a
    decent recorder with a hard drive.

    Then copy to the pc and use dvd author. All very simple and not so
    messy doing it on the pc.

    Rogers, Sep 6, 2004
  9. Dave in WA

    Larry Guest

    In article <huZ_c.7466$>,
    says...
    > > Editing video will not "slow down" your computer, but rendering it into
    > > usable form (mpg files for dvd burning) will consume a lot of time and

    > even
    > > the fastest/latest computer systems dont do it in "real time". It can take
    > > several hours to render a short video from dv to high quality mpg file.

    > That is certainly untrue. You can convert mpeg2 in real time. I do it on a
    > 2ghz p4. The trick is not to use windows. The problem is with windows is
    > their is no much overhead in doing anything, that your performance drops to
    > a minimum. You simply have too many layers to go through in order to get
    > done what you have to do get done. Some Unix converters can actually do it
    > in real time. Mostly because the codecs are more optimized and don't have
    > to go through so much overhead.

    I dont know why the best renering packages render so slowly myself. My
    system can capure live input to mp2 DVD quality real time, but all the
    rendering engines I have used take MUCH longer than 2 hours to convert a 2
    hour dv file into a 2 hour mp2 file.

    It may be because the rendering software Im using is doing variable bit rate
    optimized for maximum quality compression instead of speed, that slows stuff
    down a bit. It may be presumptuous of me to asume that his video is worth the
    highest possible quality.

    If the OP wants crappy looking video he can use rendering engines that can go
    faster than real time (even in Windows) or he can do it in high quality at
    variable bit rate and take longer.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Sep 6, 2004
  10. Dave in WA

    Sheppy Guest

    Old Story - the Ati AIW Software can capture to Mpeg2 in real time, even on
    a CPU lower than 1GHz, BUT as to DVD Quality.
    ____________
    Take a video source - capture as Mpeg2 in real time, then capture as DV-Avi
    in real time, you HAVE to use a a high quality capture device, eg the
    Canopus AVDC would be a good start; now compare the results.

    Everyone I know who's tried this can tell that the real time captures are
    massively of poorer quality, and often suffer audio sync problems, the DVD
    recorders/ Hardware Mpeg2 encoders come VERY close to the quality and often
    it's difficult to tell - but those use dedicated hardware.

    The Best realtime Mpeg2 encoders used are those used by the TV networks for
    digital TV distribution. and they are relatively expensive.

    Sheppy, Sep 6, 2004
  11. Dave in WA

    booser Guest

    "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > In article <huZ_c.7466$>,
    > says...
    > > > Editing video will not "slow down" your computer, but rendering it

    into
    > > > usable form (mpg files for dvd burning) will consume a lot of time and

    > > even
    > > > the fastest/latest computer systems dont do it in "real time". It can

    take
    > > > several hours to render a short video from dv to high quality mpg

    file.

    > > That is certainly untrue. You can convert mpeg2 in real time. I do it

    on a
    > > 2ghz p4. The trick is not to use windows. The problem is with windows

    is
    > > their is no much overhead in doing anything, that your performance drops

    > > a minimum. You simply have too many layers to go through in order to

    get
    > > done what you have to do get done. Some Unix converters can actually do

    it
    > > in real time. Mostly because the codecs are more optimized and don't

    have
    > > to go through so much overhead.
    > >

    > I dont know why the best renering packages render so slowly myself. My
    > system can capure live input to mp2 DVD quality real time, but all the
    > rendering engines I have used take MUCH longer than 2 hours to convert a 2
    > hour dv file into a 2 hour mp2 file.

    Even in variable bitrate, I can convert better than real time. You are
    right though, if you want really good quality, capture and convert later,
    using better, but slower algorithms. I usually just capture in 80%-100%
    quality mjpeg and than convert.

    booser, Sep 6, 2004