Analog to digital using camera - want to hear about successful procedures

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Brian, Jan 17, 2004.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    I'm interested in learning about how other people convert analog to
    digital using their camera connected to a firewire card.

    What program do you use to capture the analog video?

    Do you capture to AVI or some other format?

    Do you have problems with sound being out of sync?
    If so then how do you solve the sound problem?

    Do you use an enhancer before sending the analog video to the camera?

    What video bit rate do use when you render the video to a DVD or CD?

    Do you use any filters before rendering the video such as a sharpening
    or colour filter?

    Regards Brian
    Brian, Jan 17, 2004

  2. Brian

    Ron Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > I'm interested in learning about how other people convert analog to
    > digital using their camera connected to a firewire card.
    >
    > What program do you use to capture the analog video?
    >
    > Do you capture to AVI or some other format?
    >
    > Do you have problems with sound being out of sync?
    > If so then how do you solve the sound problem?
    >
    > Do you use an enhancer before sending the analog video to the camera?
    >
    > What video bit rate do use when you render the video to a DVD or CD?
    >
    > Do you use any filters before rendering the video such as a sharpening
    > or colour filter?
    >
    > Regards Brian

    I use a regular VCR player with RCA outs to mini jacks in on my Sony TRV-38
    miniDV camera with pass-through(DV-IN/OUT) and from there out to PC via FW
    cable, captured by Vegas 4.0 as AVI files(although now they are digitized by
    handycam), and then process the recording with Vegas software. I can then
    demux and process the audio via Sony's SoundForge 7.0 or Sonic Foundry's
    Soft Encode for 5.1 encoding and remux back. Occasionally, I'll use Vegas'
    filters if it calls for it on the video portion, maybe add a narration on a
    second audio track. No sync problems yet. I've never had to "enhance" the
    analog signal prior to digitizing. And yes, I often use sharpening as a
    filter post transferring. I may even use color saturation filter as well as
    transition filters. Occasionally, I'll use Scenalyzer to detect scenes for
    easier cutting and editing. I capture using NTSC DV template with Sync
    settings of SMPTE Non-Drop 30fps using an Audigy 2 soundcard.

    Ron
    Ron, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Thanks Ron,
    for putting detail into your video
    procedure. Out of interest how long does it take you to recender a 10
    minute or a 30 minute video when adding extra filters for colour
    correction or to improve the sharpness?

    Regards Brian

    Brian, Jan 18, 2004
  4. Brian

    Lil' Dave Guest

    Am not. Am using ATI AIW card and VideoStudio. Only render quality VHS
    tapes to compliant DVD mpeg2 format. Pinnacle Studio makes the intial DVD
    to DVDRW after its render and compilation. If successful, I copy all these
    files from DVDRW to HD. Then burn the files from HD to DVDR using Nero (not
    express). There is no sync problem. Enhancement is not needed.

    Your method renders analog for writing to camcorder, Pinnacle Studio can do
    this. Then the camcorder saves it in raw format. Then it has to be
    rendered again coming out of the camcorder to proper mpeg format, then
    finally this must be rendered/compiled for DVD writing as above. Spinning
    your wheels...

    If you're talking video sourced from a camcorder, its not analog. Its raw
    video. Am using VideoStudio for rendering that video to compliant mpeg2
    format for DVD as well.
    Dave

    Lil' Dave, Jan 18, 2004
  5. Brian

    cc Guest

    Re: Analog to digital using camera - want to hear about successfulprocedures

    Brian wrote:
    > Thanks Ron,
    > for putting detail into your video
    > procedure. Out of interest how long does it take you to recender a 10
    > minute or a 30 minute video when adding extra filters for colour
    > correction or to improve the sharpness?

    This may be of help.

    http://home.iprimus.com.au/ccang/howto.html

    cc, Jan 19, 2004
  6. Brian

    Ron Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks Ron,
    > for putting detail into your video
    > procedure. Out of interest how long does it take you to recender a 10
    > minute or a 30 minute video when adding extra filters for colour
    > correction or to improve the sharpness?
    >
    > Regards Brian
    >
    > "Ron" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Brian" <> wrote in message
    > >> I'm interested in learning about how other people convert analog to
    > >> digital using their camera connected to a firewire card.
    > >>
    > >> What program do you use to capture the analog video?
    > >>
    > >> Do you capture to AVI or some other format?
    > >>
    > >> Do you have problems with sound being out of sync?
    > >> If so then how do you solve the sound problem?
    > >>
    > >> Do you use an enhancer before sending the analog video to the camera?
    > >>
    > >> What video bit rate do use when you render the video to a DVD or CD?
    > >>
    > >> Do you use any filters before rendering the video such as a sharpening
    > >> or colour filter?
    > >>
    > >> Regards Brian
    > >>

    > >I use a regular VCR player with RCA outs to mini jacks in on my Sony

    TRV-38
    > >miniDV camera with pass-through(DV-IN/OUT) and from there out to PC via

    FW
    > >cable, captured by Vegas 4.0 as AVI files(although now they are digitized

    by
    > >handycam), and then process the recording with Vegas software. I can

    then
    > >demux and process the audio via Sony's SoundForge 7.0 or Sonic Foundry's
    > >Soft Encode for 5.1 encoding and remux back. Occasionally, I'll use

    Vegas'
    > >filters if it calls for it on the video portion, maybe add a narration on

    > >second audio track. No sync problems yet. I've never had to "enhance" the
    > >analog signal prior to digitizing. And yes, I often use sharpening as a
    > >filter post transferring. I may even use color saturation filter as well

    as
    > >transition filters. Occasionally, I'll use Scenalyzer to detect scenes

    for
    > >easier cutting and editing. I capture using NTSC DV template with Sync
    > >settings of SMPTE Non-Drop 30fps using an Audigy 2 soundcard.
    > >
    > >Ron

    To be honest, I never really noticed but I know it takes longer due to
    additional filters processing the avi( which is understandable). A lot of
    these are old movies taken with a VHS-c camcorder so I use an adapter
    cartridge for the cassette. The quality of these weren't all that good even
    with filters used. So some of them, I didn't even bother with juicing them
    up. Once they were digital, I'd recopy back to miniDV tape for archiving
    purposes with maybe a tweak here or there. Mostly with audio since the mono
    mic in the JVC camcorder was horrible.

    Ron
    Ron, Jan 19, 2004
  7. Brian

    Not so quick Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > I'm interested in learning about how other people convert analog to
    > digital using their camera connected to a firewire card.
    >
    > What program do you use to capture the analog video?
    >
    > Do you capture to AVI or some other format?
    >
    > Do you have problems with sound being out of sync?
    > If so then how do you solve the sound problem?
    >
    > Do you use an enhancer before sending the analog video to the camera?
    >
    > What video bit rate do use when you render the video to a DVD or CD?
    >
    > Do you use any filters before rendering the video such as a sharpening
    > or colour filter?
    >
    > Regards Brian

    I use a Sony digital 8 with passthrough. DVIO, a freeware program
    for capturing. Tmpegenc to convert to mpeg, freeware for avi to VCD
    mpeg. I have Media Studio Pro but don't feel the need for it for this
    kind of job. You can edit, crop, do color adjustment, deinterlace, etc.
    with Tmpgenc and Virtualdub is helpful too, another freeware program
    that will allow you to combine mpegs very quickly.
    Good luck. The rendering time is dependent on your processor.
    Not so quick, Jan 21, 2004