  1. I still like to shoot film, but I'd love to be able to "back up" my
    pictures digitally, and have instant viewing of my shots........ Does
    anyone make a combination 35mm Film/Digital body?

    Johnston West, Sep 19, 2003

  2. >I still like to shoot film, but I'd love to be able to "back up" my
    >pictures digitally, and have instant viewing of my shots........ Does
    >anyone make a combination 35mm Film/Digital body?

    About 2 or 3 years ago, I heard rumours of a third-party back that
    could be attacked to a Nikon F90 camera, and put a sensor where the
    film plane would normally be, dumping the images to memory card, but
    it was just rumours. The product was vapourware, and never actually
    materialized as far as I know. A shame, really, since I had an F90 at
    the time and w as excited about the prospect.

    Paul Fedorenko, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Johnston West

    J.A.G Guest

    Some cameras like the F5, F4, Hasselbalds, have "digital backs" available
    meaning you take off the film cover and then put a cover on that scans the
    images and works like a digital camera.

    J.A.G, Sep 20, 2003
  4. Johnston West

    Stewy Guest

    hahaha. Try using two cameras

    Stewy, Sep 20, 2003
  5. "Johnston West" <> wrote in message
    > I still like to shoot film, but I'd love to be able to "back up" my
    > pictures digitally, and have instant viewing of my shots........ Does
    > anyone make a combination 35mm Film/Digital body?

    Not exactly, but you could look into Silicon Film.
    http://www.siliconfilm.com/

    This will be such a great product when it comes out.
    Of course it is never coming out, but other than that
    it will be great. Maybe if you could invest a little, it
    would speed things along.

    Steven M. Scharf, Sep 20, 2003
  6. "Stewy" <> wrote in message

    > hahaha. Try using two cameras

    I have tried that......... but my eyes are too close together to see
    through both viewfinders at the same time.... "boom! crash!" ........
    <g>

    Johnston West, Sep 20, 2003
  7. Johnston West

    Ron Andrews Guest

    > I still like to shoot film, but I'd love to be able to "back up" my
    > pictures digitally, and have instant viewing of my shots........ Does
    > anyone make a combination 35mm Film/Digital body?

    Kodak still offers a preview camera:
    http://www.kodak.com/cgi-bin/webCat...S&lc=en&product=KODAK ADVANTIX Preview Camera
    It is an Advantix camera with a low res digital sensor and LCD preview
    screen. While this camera does allow you to view the image you just captured
    on film, there is no way to capture the digital image file.
    Kodak announced and then unannounced a dual digital/film camera. They
    claimed that there was no way to make such a camera and earn a profit.

    Ron Andrews, Sep 20, 2003
  8. Johnston West

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Johnston West wrote:

    > I still like to shoot film, but I'd love to be able to "back up" my
    > pictures digitally, and have instant viewing of my shots........ Does
    > anyone make a combination 35mm Film/Digital body?

    They make digital backs for some cameras.. They're very expensive and you
    can't use them simultaneously with film..

    Jim Townsend, Sep 20, 2003
  9. Johnston West

    Graham Guest

    Johnston West wrote:
    > I still like to shoot film, but I'd love to be able to "back up" my
    > pictures digitally, and have instant viewing of my shots........
    > Does anyone make a combination 35mm Film/Digital body?

    Probably the closest you will get to this is a pair of camera bodies,
    one 35mm, one digital, which can share the same lenses, such as a Canon
    10D and a Canon EOS 35mm body, but even then, differences in the size of
    the digital image sensor and the 35mm film mean you do not get the same
    image from each camera.

    Otherwise, perhaps use a cheapish digital point and shoot with full
    manual control such as the Canon A60/A70/A80 (2Mp/3.2Mp/4Mp)?

    Graham, Sep 20, 2003

  10. >They make digital backs for some cameras.. They're very expensive and you
    >can't use them simultaneously with film..

    Someone actually made them, eh? Like I said in a previous post, I was
    looking for one for a Nikon F90 a couple years back, but the thing
    never got past the rumour stage.

    Paul Fedorenko, Sep 20, 2003
  11. Johnston West

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Paul Fedorenko wrote:

    >>They make digital backs for some cameras.. They're very expensive and you
    >>can't use them simultaneously with film..

    > Someone actually made them, eh? Like I said in a previous post, I was
    > looking for one for a Nikon F90 a couple years back, but the thing
    > never got past the rumour stage.

    Yes.. Leica will have one soon (if it isn't out already) for its R8 and R9.. It
    pops on the back and includes an LCD menu and internal memory.

    http://www.leica-camera.com/produkte/rsystem/digitalmodul/index_e.html

    (There's very little chance a commoner like me will be a customer. I'd love to
    own a digital R9, but I'd have to trade in the family car just for the down
    down payment :)

    They also make digital backs for Medium format.. $$$$$

    Jim Townsend, Sep 20, 2003
  12. Johnston West

    Scott Elliot Guest

    They make digital backs for several Mamiya, Contax and Hasselblad medium
    format cameras. If you have to ask what the price is you can't afford it.

    Scott Elliot
    http://www3.telus.net/selliot/

    Scott Elliot, Sep 20, 2003