    http://www.wega2.vandel.nl/

    Greetings
    Paul
    Paul van Andel, Dec 16, 2004

  2. Paul van Andel

    Paul H. Guest

    "Paul van Andel" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've just upladed a free small program to analize the usage of focal lens
    > length.
    > Might come in handy :)
    > You can download it fom the site below (at the bottom right).
    > http://www.wega2.vandel.nl/
    >
    > Greetings
    > Paul

    I suspect you meant "analyze." In English, the coined verb "analize" might
    mean "to insert something in the anus." Not what you wanted to suggest, I
    hope. :)

    BTW, no flame was intended: I can guarantee you write English far better
    than I will ever write Dutch.
    Paul H., Dec 17, 2004

  3. Paul van Andel

    Frank ess Guest

    Paul H. wrote:
    > "Paul van Andel" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I've just upladed a free small program to analize the usage of focal
    >> lens length.
    >> Might come in handy :)
    >> You can download it fom the site below (at the bottom right).
    >> http://www.wega2.vandel.nl/
    >>
    >> Greetings
    >> Paul

    > I suspect you meant "analyze." In English, the coined verb "analize"
    > might mean "to insert something in the anus." Not what you wanted to
    > suggest, I hope. :)
    >
    > BTW, no flame was intended: I can guarantee you write English far
    > better than I will ever write Dutch.

    Another meaning of "analize" is "to imbue with the caracteristics of an
    anus", often self-administered in these halls.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Dec 17, 2004
  4. Paul van Andel

    adm Guest

    "Paul H." <> wrote in message

    > "Paul van Andel" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I've just upladed a free small program to analize the usage of focal lens
    >> length.
    >> Might come in handy :)
    >> You can download it fom the site below (at the bottom right).
    >> http://www.wega2.vandel.nl/
    >>
    >> Greetings
    >> Paul

    > I suspect you meant "analyze." In English, the coined verb "analize" might
    > mean "to insert something in the anus." Not what you wanted to suggest, I
    > hope. :)

    Just to throw a pedantic hat into the ring, I actually suspect that in
    English he meant "analyse".
    adm, Dec 17, 2004
  5. Paul van Andel

    Paul H. Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    > Paul H. wrote:
    > > "Paul van Andel" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi All,
    > >>
    > >> I've just upladed a free small program to analize the usage of focal
    > >> lens length.
    > >> Might come in handy :)
    > >> You can download it fom the site below (at the bottom right).
    > >> http://www.wega2.vandel.nl/
    > >>
    > >> Greetings
    > >> Paul

    > > I suspect you meant "analyze." In English, the coined verb "analize"
    > > might mean "to insert something in the anus." Not what you wanted to
    > > suggest, I hope. :)
    > >
    > > BTW, no flame was intended: I can guarantee you write English far
    > > better than I will ever write Dutch.

    > Another meaning of "analize" is "to imbue with the caracteristics of an
    > anus", often self-administered in these halls.

    All too true and I must admit I've been guilty of "analizing" myself at
    times, though I hope your comment was a general one and not meant to point
    up yet another instance of that embarassing circumstance. The spelling just
    tickled my funnybone.
    Paul H., Dec 17, 2004
  6. Paul van Andel

    Paul H. Guest

    "adm" <> wrote in message

    > "Paul H." <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Paul van Andel" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi All,
    > >>
    > >> I've just upladed a free small program to analize the usage of focal

    lens
    > >> length.
    > >> Might come in handy :)
    > >> You can download it fom the site below (at the bottom right).
    > >> http://www.wega2.vandel.nl/
    > >>
    > >> Greetings
    > >> Paul

    > > I suspect you meant "analyze." In English, the coined verb "analize"

    might
    > > mean "to insert something in the anus." Not what you wanted to suggest,

    > > hope. :)

    > Just to throw a pedantic hat into the ring, I actually suspect that in
    > English he meant "analyse".

    Ah, British English vs. American English! I bow to the linguistic
    precedence, although the act of bowing might itself be considered
    "analizing" of sorts, particularly if the bow is performed with the back
    turned. :)
    Paul H., Dec 17, 2004
  7. Paul van Andel

    Frank ess Guest

    Paul H. wrote:
    > "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    >> Paul H. wrote:
    >>> "Paul van Andel" <> wrote in message

    >>> I suspect you meant "analyze." In English, the coined verb "analize"
    >>> might mean "to insert something in the anus." Not what you wanted
    >>> to suggest, I hope. :)
    >>>
    >>> BTW, no flame was intended: I can guarantee you write English far
    >>> better than I will ever write Dutch.

    >> Another meaning of "analize" is "to imbue with the caracteristics of
    >> an anus", often self-administered in these halls.

    > All too true and I must admit I've been guilty of "analizing" myself
    > at times, though I hope your comment was a general one and not meant
    > to point up yet another instance of that embarassing circumstance.
    > The spelling just tickled my funnybone.

    And rightly so.

    It was a general and self-consciously pedantic comment.

    Just for fun.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Dec 17, 2004
  8. > I suspect you meant "analyze." In English, the coined verb "analize" might
    > mean "to insert something in the anus." Not what you wanted to suggest, I
    > hope. :)
    >
    > BTW, no flame was intended: I can guarantee you write English far better
    > than I will ever write Dutch.

    No problem, I've just uploaded a corrected version of the focal length
    analyser ;-)

    Greetings,
    Paul
    Paul van Andel, Dec 18, 2004
  9. Re: Analyze your focal lens usage

    Paul van Andel wrote:

    >>I suspect you meant "analyze." In English, the coined verb "analize" might
    >>mean "to insert something in the anus." Not what you wanted to suggest, I
    >>hope. :)
    >>
    >>BTW, no flame was intended: I can guarantee you write English far better
    >>than I will ever write Dutch.

    > No problem, I've just uploaded a corrected version of the focal length
    > analyser ;-)

    Could you describe briefly how it works? (I'm onna Mac, so can't try it
    out myself.)
    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Dec 18, 2004
  10. Re: Analyze your focal lens usage

    > Could you describe briefly how it works? (I'm onna Mac, so can't try it
    > out myself.)

    It scans folders (and subfolders) for JPG files with an EXIF header.
    If the EXIF contains an 35mm equivalent (most camera's JPG's do) the
    program uses this info for the graph.

    If a folder does contain JPG's with EXIF but without the 35mm equivalent
    tag, the program can calculate one, in this case you need to set the real
    focal length and the 35mm equivalent factor (see manual of the camera) of
    the used camera.

    When the folders are scanned the program shows a graph of the result.

    Greetings
    Paul
    Paul van Andel, Dec 18, 2004
  11. Paul van Andel

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Re: Analyze your focal lens usage

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:12:07 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "Paul van Andel"
    <> wrote:

    >> Could you describe briefly how it works? (I'm onna Mac, so can't try it
    >> out myself.)

    >It scans folders (and subfolders) for JPG files with an EXIF header.
    >If the EXIF contains an 35mm equivalent (most camera's JPG's do) the
    >program uses this info for the graph.
    >
    >If a folder does contain JPG's with EXIF but without the 35mm equivalent
    >tag, the program can calculate one, in this case you need to set the real
    >focal length and the 35mm equivalent factor (see manual of the camera) of
    >the used camera.

    Ok, I gave it a try. I have photos from a Nikon CP-990, CP-5700 and D70.
    Here's the result of the scan with the always calculate box at the bottom
    unchecked.As you can see something is not quite right here, as the lowest
    focal length is 770mm.

    770 187
    820 3146
    840 19
    850 32
    870 13
    880 10
    900 25
    910 8
    930 29
    940 21
    960 26
    970 25
    990 22
    1000 18
    1020 21
    1030 23
    1050 43
    1060 34
    1070 16
    1090 56
    1100 33
    1120 23
    1130 41
    1150 29
    1160 28
    1180 34
    1190 22
    1210 40
    1220 27
    1240 30
    1250 34
    1270 26
    1280 29
    1300 46
    1310 17
    1330 20
    1340 34
    1350 22
    1370 31
    1380 13
    1400 38
    1410 32
    1430 40
    1440 24
    1460 16
    1470 18
    1490 29
    1500 39
    1520 25
    1530 516
    1550 17
    1560 57
    1570 19
    1590 43
    1600 10
    1620 21
    1630 14
    1650 9
    1660 13
    1680 22
    1690 31
    1710 6
    1720 20
    1740 14
    1750 537
    1770 21
    1780 36
    1800 8
    1810 11
    1820 40
    1840 64
    1850 18
    1870 15
    1880 32
    1900 209
    1910 24
    1930 19
    1940 12
    1960 14
    1970 13
    1990 4
    2000 4
    2020 23
    2030 8
    2040 2
    2060 5
    2070 8
    2090 11
    2100 9
    2120 12
    2130 21
    2150 18
    2160 11
    2180 5
    2190 10
    2210 6
    2220 26
    2240 12
    2250 6
    2260 3
    2280 20
    2290 14
    2310 6
    2320 23
    2340 3641
    2700 308
    2800 8
    3300 6
    3410 2
    3500 1860
    3600 60
    3700 117
    3740 3
    3900 30
    4000 13
    4050 2
    4200 39
    4210 1
    4300 31
    4530 1
    4600 31
    4680 3
    5000 63
    5100 16
    5140 2
    5200 11
    5400 46
    5500 2
    5700 21
    5800 59
    6000 16
    6080 4
    6200 58
    6550 1
    6600 69
    6900 10
    7000 62
    7100 4
    7200 18
    7400 47
    7480 1
    7500 9
    7800 40
    7950 6
    8200 5
    8300 52
    8400 5
    8800 41
    8900 2
    9000 17
    9300 96
    9360 58
    10000 73
    10220 1
    10500 444
    10700 176
    11100 9
    11200 4
    11600 43
    11700 9
    12000 12
    12300 13
    12500 41
    12900 12
    13500 7
    13600 47
    14200 4
    14700 31
    14800 53
    15300 9
    15700 8
    16100 45
    16500 8
    17400 14
    17600 55
    18000 28
    18700 7
    19000 1
    19100 17
    19500 17
    20000 5
    20200 16
    20600 19
    21000 18
    22300 13
    22500 7
    23200 8
    24000 17
    24200 19
    25500 6
    26200 12
    26600 6
    27000 2
    28000 1189
    28500 23
    30000 1200
    40000 2
    60000 1

    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Dec 18, 2004
  12. Re: Analyze your focal lens usage

    > Ok, I gave it a try. I have photos from a Nikon CP-990, CP-5700 and D70.
    > Here's the result of the scan with the always calculate box at the bottom
    > unchecked.As you can see something is not quite right here, as the lowest
    > focal length is 770mm.

    The program extracts the 35mm equivalent, I've tested a lot of different
    files, the 5700 and the D70 should be no problem.

    For the 990 however you need to fill in the correct values for that camera
    at the bottom, I'm not sure anymore but the values 8,2 and 36 rings a bell.

    I guess you have the files from the different camera's in separate folders,
    so you could check the folder separately to see where something goes wrong.

    Hope this info helps,
    Paul
    Paul van Andel, Dec 18, 2004
  13. Re: Analyze your focal lens usage

    I posted this before, but can't see it, so here it is again.

    > Ok, I gave it a try. I have photos from a Nikon CP-990, CP-5700 and D70.
    > Here's the result of the scan with the always calculate box at the bottom
    > unchecked.As you can see something is not quite right here, as the lowest
    > focal length is 770mm.

    That's a strange result, seems something is wrong :-(

    Paul van Andel, Dec 18, 2004
  14. Paul van Andel

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Re: Analyze your focal lens usage

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 00:05:08 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "Paul van Andel"
    <> wrote:

    >I guess you have the files from the different camera's in separate folders,
    >so you could check the folder separately to see where something goes wrong.

    Yes and it is separately reporting a folder of 5700 images all taken at
    fl= 71.2mm actual or 280mm 35 mm eq as 28000mm.

    A folder of D70 images with the kit lens at full wide or zoom as 2700 and
    10500.

    A folder for the 990 as 820, 1180 and 1330.

    The 5700 and D700 are reported as 100X the 35 mm eq in the exif.

    A folder containing a single image from the 990 is reported as 1330mm. when
    the exif as reported by PSP8 say 13.3mm as the real, not 35mm eq fl. FWIW,
    the 990 as reported by PSP8 has no 35mm eq like the 5700 and D70 images
    reported above.

    Seems your program is not reading the correct exif value. It seems to read
    the real fl and multiply by 100. All the above folders were read separately
    by your program.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Dec 19, 2004
  15. Re: Analyze your focal lens usage

    > Seems your program is not reading the correct exif value. It seems to read
    > the real fl and multiply by 100. All the above folders were read

    separately
    > by your program.

    Weird, I'll have about 8000 JPG files here, and non of them gives this type
    of error.

    I read the 35mm equivalent (in most cases available), remove numbers behind
    the decimal separator, e.g. 46,49mm becomes and 46mm 46,51mm becomes 47mm.

    All I can think of right now, is that the decimal separator differs from my
    JPG files, the routine that filters the values could go wrong, if that's the
    case.
    In all my EXIF Files the separator used is a comma, what if it is a dot?
    then the routine returns the numbers about two digits longer, hence the idea
    of multiplying by 100.

    Greetings
    Paul
    Paul van Andel, Dec 19, 2004
  16. Paul van Andel

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Re: Analyze your focal lens usage

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 02:48:33 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "Paul van Andel"
    <> wrote:

    >All I can think of right now, is that the decimal separator differs from my
    >JPG files, the routine that filters the values could go wrong, if that's the
    >case.
    >In all my EXIF Files the separator used is a comma, what if it is a dot?
    >then the routine returns the numbers about two digits longer, hence the idea
    >of multiplying by 100.

    I'm in the US where a period is used instead of a comma as used in Europe
    where you are, based on the .nl of your posting domain.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Dec 19, 2004
  17. Re: Analyze your focal lens usage

    > I'm in the US where a period is used instead of a comma as used in Europe
    > where you are, based on the .nl of your posting domain.

    I figured that much, I'm in the Netherlands.
    I can compile a version of the program with a test on respect of the
    comma/dot, is it ok if upload a test version to you?

    Greetings
    Paul
    Paul van Andel, Dec 19, 2004
  18. Re: Analyze your focal lens usage

    Paul van Andel wrote:
    >> I'm in the US where a period is used instead of a comma as used in
    >> Europe where you are, based on the .nl of your posting domain.

    > I figured that much, I'm in the Netherlands.
    > I can compile a version of the program with a test on respect of the
    > comma/dot, is it ok if upload a test version to you?

    In my own programs, I sometimes replace both the period (.) and the comma
    (,) with whatever the local decimal separator is for the country where the
    program is being run before parsing the text. This means that you can
    then use the built-in string-to-float routines to convert the text. (The
    times I don't do this are when I store and load floating-point numbers as
    4 or 8 byte binary).

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 19, 2004
  19. Re: Analyze your focal lens usage

    > In my own programs, I sometimes replace both the period (.) and the comma
    > (,) with whatever the local decimal separator is for the country where the
    > program is being run before parsing the text. This means that you can
    > then use the built-in string-to-float routines to convert the text. (The
    > times I don't do this are when I store and load floating-point numbers as
    > 4 or 8 byte binary).

    That's an idea, :) but I'm still figuring out if the separator is the cause
    of the bug, I've downloaded some JPG files from several preview sites, but
    all of them have a comma as separator.
    Will you please send one of your JPG files to me at maybe the
    EXIF of your file will tell me more.

    Greetings
    Paul
    Paul van Andel, Dec 19, 2004
  20. Re: Analyze your focal lens usage

    Paul van Andel wrote:
    []
    > That's an idea, :) but I'm still figuring out if the separator is
    > the cause of the bug, I've downloaded some JPG files from several
    > preview sites, but all of them have a comma as separator.
    > Will you please send one of your JPG files to me at
    > maybe the EXIF of your file will tell me more.
    >
    > Greetings
    > Paul

    Yes, a file is on its way as I write this.

    Can't recall now if the focal length fields are ASCII or binary in the
    EXIF header....

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 19, 2004