An OSX enterprise.....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Jul 24, 2007.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Q: Assume a Mac OSX desktop......need business applications, email and
    calendering are essential, MS Office, so file servers....Exchange is a
    good choice normally but it does not work well with OSX and AD with OSX
    is plain ikky....so since AD is pretty much out that drops
    Exchange....so a mail system? Lotus notes? can be Linux or OSX based,
    probably Linux....

    A global capable directory service / federation is essential....200 core
    users, 500 ad hoc's....need to be separated from each other something
    like Redhat or Novell's directory server....maybe Sun's.....formal
    support model required....

    A very complex environment (even though not that many users) probably
    vmware 3 it for uptime and lots of different applications needed but low
    user count....a separate box for each application would be overkill and
    over budget....so...what solid options are there out there?

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jul 24, 2007

  2. thingy

    EMB Guest

    Kerio Mailserver, http://www.kerio.com/kms_collaboration.html

    EMB, Jul 24, 2007

  3. thingy

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <46a5d79a$>, thingy <thing@/dev/null> wrote:

    > Q: Assume a Mac OSX desktop......need business applications, email and
    > calendering are essential, MS Office, so file servers....Exchange is a
    > good choice normally but it does not work well with OSX and AD with OSX
    > is plain ikky....so since AD is pretty much out that drops
    > Exchange....so a mail system? Lotus notes? can be Linux or OSX based,
    > probably Linux....
    >
    > A global capable directory service / federation is essential....200 core
    > users, 500 ad hoc's....need to be separated from each other something
    > like Redhat or Novell's directory server....maybe Sun's.....formal
    > support model required....
    >
    > A very complex environment (even though not that many users) probably
    > vmware 3 it for uptime and lots of different applications needed but low
    > user count....a separate box for each application would be overkill and
    > over budget....so...what solid options are there out there?
    >

    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Entourage works OK(ish) with exchange servers, however you MUST have
    WebDAV on and outlook web access running on.
    I admit it does not work with the GAL, but you can use ldap.

    Oh yes, exchange server wil also do pop and imap IIRC.

    Calenders work OK though there are some issues about meeting
    verifications etc.

    You can get OSX to work with AD though there are quite a few tricks to
    get this working well I understand.

    There is of course 10.5 in october which will have qa calendar server

    whoisthis, Jul 24, 2007
  4. In article <46a5d79a$>, thingy <thing@/dev/null> wrote:
    >Q: Assume a Mac OSX desktop......need business applications, email and
    >calendering are essential, MS Office, so file servers....Exchange is a
    >good choice normally but it does not work well with OSX and AD with OSX
    >is plain ikky....so since AD is pretty much out that drops
    >Exchange....so a mail system? Lotus notes? can be Linux or OSX based,
    >probably Linux....
    >
    >A global capable directory service / federation is essential....200 core
    >users, 500 ad hoc's....need to be separated from each other something
    >like Redhat or Novell's directory server....maybe Sun's.....formal
    >support model required....
    >
    >A very complex environment (even though not that many users) probably
    >vmware 3 it for uptime and lots of different applications needed but low
    >user count....a separate box for each application would be overkill and
    >over budget....so...what solid options are there out there?

    Not sure if sakai will do what you need, but from what I recall it's desktop
    independent.

    http://sakaiproject.org/index.
    php?option=com_content&task=view&id=103&Itemid=208

    Restore to one line of course :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 25, 2007
  5. thingy

    thingy Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <46a5d79a$>, thingy <thing@/dev/null> wrote:
    >
    >> Q: Assume a Mac OSX desktop......need business applications, email and
    >> calendering are essential, MS Office, so file servers....Exchange is a
    >> good choice normally but it does not work well with OSX and AD with OSX
    >> is plain ikky....so since AD is pretty much out that drops
    >> Exchange....so a mail system? Lotus notes? can be Linux or OSX based,
    >> probably Linux....
    >>
    >> A global capable directory service / federation is essential....200 core
    >> users, 500 ad hoc's....need to be separated from each other something
    >> like Redhat or Novell's directory server....maybe Sun's.....formal
    >> support model required....
    >>
    >> A very complex environment (even though not that many users) probably
    >> vmware 3 it for uptime and lots of different applications needed but low
    >> user count....a separate box for each application would be overkill and
    >> over budget....so...what solid options are there out there?
    >>

    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > Entourage works OK(ish) with exchange servers, however you MUST have
    > WebDAV on and outlook web access running on.
    > I admit it does not work with the GAL, but you can use ldap.
    >
    > Oh yes, exchange server wil also do pop and imap IIRC.
    >
    > Calenders work OK though there are some issues about meeting
    > verifications etc.
    >
    > You can get OSX to work with AD though there are quite a few tricks to
    > get this working well I understand.
    >
    > There is of course 10.5 in october which will have qa calendar server

    yes....we have all this....incl the nightmares...using OSX with AD and
    Exchange and hacks like Entourage is plain ugly...

    Hence since there is a good possibility that we will have an
    organisation that predominantly runs OSX, hacks and bodges to use
    Exchange and AD just wont cut it, and there is no real need to.

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Jul 25, 2007