An odd occurrence with G4 MAC

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Rush, Feb 23, 2007.

  1. Rush

    Rush Guest

    This may or may not be a security issue, I just don't know.

    I have a Macintosh G4 Mirror Front Tower running OS10.4.8. I'm using a
    Linksys (non-wireless) Router. I have no wireless devices on the
    computer.

    For a week now, when I open the Network icon in the Sidebar I see my
    own G4 local icon and a Library Icon. After a few minutes, server icons
    from other peoples computer start showing up in the list. These are 4k
    aliases and cannot be opened or connected. They also cannot be deleted
    because of insufficient privileges. After a restart, the list is clear
    and after several minutes, more server icons appear.

    My service provider states that without a wireless router this
    cannot happen, so it must be an Apple problem.

    Any thoughts

    Rush

    Rush, Feb 23, 2007

  2. Rush

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Rush wrote:
    > This may or may not be a security issue, I just don't know.
    >
    > I have a Macintosh G4 Mirror Front Tower running OS10.4.8. I'm using a
    > Linksys (non-wireless) Router. I have no wireless devices on the
    > computer.

    Any ports open? Anyone put a AP on the LAN?

    I once heard of a manager who brought his own AP to work and plugged it in!

    Rick Merrill, Feb 24, 2007

  3. Rush

    Rush Guest

    In article <>, Rick Merrill
    <> wrote:

    > Rush wrote:
    > > This may or may not be a security issue, I just don't know.
    > >
    > > I have a Macintosh G4 Mirror Front Tower running OS10.4.8. I'm using a
    > > Linksys (non-wireless) Router. I have no wireless devices on the
    > > computer.

    > Any ports open? Anyone put a AP on the LAN?
    >
    > I once heard of a manager who brought his own AP to work and plugged it in!
    >

    > > For a week now, when I open the Network icon in the Sidebar I see my
    > > own G4 local icon and a Library Icon. After a few minutes, server icons
    > > from other peoples computer start showing up in the list. These are 4k
    > > aliases and cannot be opened or connected. They also cannot be deleted
    > > because of insufficient privileges. After a restart, the list is clear
    > > and after several minutes, more server icons appear.
    > >
    > > My service provider states that without a wireless router this
    > > cannot happen, so it must be an Apple problem.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts
    > >
    > > Rush

    I'm not certain what an "AP" is, but There is only an iMac connected
    to the same router. It's been there for over a year without this
    happening. Doesn't make a difference is the other computer is turned on
    or not. The same thing happens if I bypass the router and go modem
    direct to the G4. My service provider stated that this can't happen
    without a wireless router. I said OK, but I'm looking at it. He said,
    it's not our fault, it's an Apple problem.

    Rush

    Rush, Feb 24, 2007
  4. Rush

    C. Guest

    Re: An odd occurrence with G4 MAC

    On 23 Feb, 05:57, Rush <> wrote:
    > This may or may not be a security issue, I just don't know.
    >
    > I have a Macintosh G4 Mirror Front Tower running OS10.4.8. I'm using a
    > Linksys (non-wireless) Router. I have no wireless devices on the
    > computer.

    <snip>

    > My service provider states that without a wireless router this
    > cannot happen, so it must be an Apple problem.
    >
    > Any thoughts
    >
    > Rush

    I certainly have visibility of 20 or so other users in my locality
    connected to the same cable provider. I see a lot of scanning/
    broadcasts by smb and mdns - it's just noise, but a ready reminder
    that most people in charge of computers connected to the internet
    don't know much about security.

    C.

    C., Feb 25, 2007
  5. Rush

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Rush wrote:
    > In article <>, Rick Merrill
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Rush wrote:
    >>> This may or may not be a security issue, I just don't know.
    >>>
    >>> I have a Macintosh G4 Mirror Front Tower running OS10.4.8. I'm using a
    >>> Linksys (non-wireless) Router. I have no wireless devices on the
    >>> computer.

    >> Any ports open? Anyone put a AP on the LAN?
    >>
    >> I once heard of a manager who brought his own AP to work and plugged it in!
    >>

    >>> For a week now, when I open the Network icon in the Sidebar I see my
    >>> own G4 local icon and a Library Icon. After a few minutes, server icons
    >>> from other peoples computer start showing up in the list. These are 4k
    >>> aliases and cannot be opened or connected. They also cannot be deleted
    >>> because of insufficient privileges. After a restart, the list is clear
    >>> and after several minutes, more server icons appear.
    >>>
    >>> My service provider states that without a wireless router this
    >>> cannot happen, so it must be an Apple problem.
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts
    >>>
    >>> Rush

    > I'm not certain what an "AP" is, but There is only an iMac connected
    > to the same router. It's been there for over a year without this
    > happening. Doesn't make a difference is the other computer is turned on
    > or not. The same thing happens if I bypass the router and go modem
    > direct to the G4. My service provider stated that this can't happen
    > without a wireless router. I said OK, but I'm looking at it. He said,
    > it's not our fault, it's an Apple problem.
    >
    > Rush

    AP ::= wireless Access Point

    Could there be anything else on your LAN?

    Rick Merrill, Feb 26, 2007
  6. Rush

    Rush Guest

    Re: An odd occurrence with G4 MAC

    In article <>, C.
    <> wrote:

    > On 23 Feb, 05:57, Rush <> wrote:
    > > This may or may not be a security issue, I just don't know.
    > >
    > > I have a Macintosh G4 Mirror Front Tower running OS10.4.8. I'm using a
    > > Linksys (non-wireless) Router. I have no wireless devices on the
    > > computer.
    > >

    > <snip>
    > >
    > > My service provider states that without a wireless router this
    > > cannot happen, so it must be an Apple problem.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts
    > >
    > > Rush

    > I certainly have visibility of 20 or so other users in my locality
    > connected to the same cable provider. I see a lot of scanning/
    > broadcasts by smb and mdns - it's just noise, but a ready reminder
    > that most people in charge of computers connected to the internet
    > don't know much about security.
    >
    > C.

    Thanks C. This sounds like what I'm seeing. What are "smb" and mdns."?
    Would you conclude that someone else is doing the scanning and it's
    showing up on my computer.
    As to one of the other questions - My LAN consists of a G4 (Mine) and
    an iMac (Wife's) hard wired to the router. This setup has been in place
    for just over a year now. This phenomenon started a little over three
    weeks ago, and I see three of four other computer icons. (Small
    neighborhood?)

    Rush

    Rush, Feb 27, 2007