An IT exam experiment

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordon, Nov 11, 2004.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:31:56 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Which are the main types of scanners you will come across in your work
    > as a PC technician?
    > [A] Dual Oscillation
    > Hand-held
    > [C] Roll-over
    > [D] Flat-bed
    > [E] Opto-electrical
    >
    > Any bright sparks here want to venture the correct answers for this one?

    [E}
    Gordon, Nov 11, 2004

  2. I got asked today to participate in a little experiment, I got asked to
    sit A+ exams. (test exams)
    Core, Hardware and OS and oh boy what a laugh, I got acceptable scores
    (better than 75%) but I had a laugh or two when I reviewed the questions
    and answers.
    One in particular was an excellent example,
    Which are the main types of scanners you will come across in your work
    as a PC technician?
    [A] Dual Oscillation
    Hand-held
    [C] Roll-over
    [D] Flat-bed
    [E] Opto-electrical

    Any bright sparks here want to venture the correct answers for this one?

    Most of the questions where good, but some of them where just plain out
    of touch with the real world as it is today.
    At least the experiment answered the question as to wether A+ was a
    releveant qualification for a certain job.
    --
    >>Followups may be set to a single group when appropiate!

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 11, 2004

  3. Gordon said the following on 11/11/2004 16:20:
    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:31:56 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:
    >

    >>Which are the main types of scanners you will come across in your work
    >>as a PC technician?
    >> [A] Dual Oscillation
    >> Hand-held
    >> [C] Roll-over
    >> [D] Flat-bed
    >> [E] Opto-electrical
    >>
    >>Any bright sparks here want to venture the correct answers for this one?

    > [E}

    Nope, give you a clue, they say it is two off the above but not your choice.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 11, 2004
  4. Gordon

    Dorado Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > I got asked today to participate in a little experiment, I got asked
    > to sit A+ exams. (test exams)
    > Core, Hardware and OS and oh boy what a laugh, I got acceptable scores
    > (better than 75%) but I had a laugh or two when I reviewed the
    > questions and answers.
    > One in particular was an excellent example,
    > Which are the main types of scanners you will come across in your work
    > as a PC technician?
    > [A] Dual Oscillation
    > Hand-held
    > [C] Roll-over
    > [D] Flat-bed
    > [E] Opto-electrical
    >
    > Any bright sparks here want to venture the correct answers for this
    > one?
    >
    > Most of the questions where good, but some of them where just plain
    > out of touch with the real world as it is today.
    > At least the experiment answered the question as to wether A+ was a
    > releveant qualification for a certain job.

    and [D]
    Dorado, Nov 11, 2004
  5. Dorado said the following on 11/11/2004 17:48:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >>I got asked today to participate in a little experiment, I got asked
    >>to sit A+ exams. (test exams)
    >>Core, Hardware and OS and oh boy what a laugh, I got acceptable scores
    >>(better than 75%) but I had a laugh or two when I reviewed the
    >>questions and answers.
    >>One in particular was an excellent example,
    >>Which are the main types of scanners you will come across in your work
    >>as a PC technician?
    >>[A] Dual Oscillation
    >> Hand-held
    >>[C] Roll-over
    >>[D] Flat-bed
    >>[E] Opto-electrical
    >>
    >>Any bright sparks here want to venture the correct answers for this
    >>one?
    >>
    >>Most of the questions where good, but some of them where just plain
    >>out of touch with the real world as it is today.
    >>At least the experiment answered the question as to wether A+ was a
    >>releveant qualification for a certain job.

    > and [D]

    Once a few more bright sparks post answers I will post the official answer

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 11, 2004
  6. E

    TOG

    The Other Guy, Nov 11, 2004
  7. Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Which are the main types of scanners you will come across in your work
    > as a PC technician?
    > [A] Dual Oscillation
    > Hand-held
    > [C] Roll-over
    > [D] Flat-bed
    > [E] Opto-electrical
    >
    > Any bright sparks here want to venture the correct answers for this one?

    Flat-bed and hand held?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 11, 2004
  8. Re: An IT exam experiment Answer

    Collector»NZ said the following on 11/11/2004 16:31:
    > I got asked today to participate in a little experiment, I got asked to
    > sit A+ exams. (test exams)
    > Core, Hardware and OS and oh boy what a laugh, I got acceptable scores
    > (better than 75%) but I had a laugh or two when I reviewed the questions
    > and answers.
    > One in particular was an excellent example,
    > Which are the main types of scanners you will come across in your work
    > as a PC technician?
    > [A] Dual Oscillation
    > Hand-held
    > [C] Roll-over
    > [D] Flat-bed
    > [E] Opto-electrical
    >
    > Any bright sparks here want to venture the correct answers for this one?
    >
    > Most of the questions where good, but some of them where just plain out
    > of touch with the real world as it is today.
    > At least the experiment answered the question as to wether A+ was a
    > releveant qualification for a certain job.

    It was B and D as the correct official answers.

    I found it amusing since in my 18 years I have dealt with Hand Scanners,
    Flat Bed Scanners, Film and Negative Scanners and Drum Scanners. That
    said I havnt dealt with a hand scanner in the last 8 years, where I have
    dealt with all the others in the last 12 months.
    The question was good as to extracting course learnt knowledge but how
    much use is that when it is not current!

    This type of semi outdated/old question was most prevalent in the core
    and the hardware sections rather than the OS section.

    We did this little experiment because we had to write an evaluation
    criteria for deciding who gets and interview for a technician job and a
    lot of candidates had listed A+ in their CV's and we hadnt a clue about
    its suitability as a qual for the the criteria. We rated A+ along with
    relevant 12 months practical experience as 1 of the criteria to get an
    interview.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 11, 2004
  9. Re: An IT exam experiment Answer

    James West said the following on 12/11/2004 17:25:
    > ERm
    >
    > I don't have an A+ but only 20 years practical exp
    > do I get an Interview?
    >
    > James

    Perhaps depends on what else is in your CV, but probably not as your
    salary expectation would probably be too high ;-)

    It was definitely one of the harder tasks I have had to deal with
    recently as the standard of applicant ranged from Pure Wannabees with
    "Load of knowledge making my PC for Games" to people with MSCE/MSPS etc.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 11, 2004
  10. James West wrote:
    > Hand-held
    > [D] Flat-bed
    > not that you would find many handheld now one hopes

    we have ~30 here at work.
    unknown what they're used for... but they're up in the wards, so
    scanning something medical. :/
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 11, 2004
  11. Gordon

    Gurble Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:21:12 -0800, "James West" <>
    had this to say:

    > Hand-held
    >[D] Flat-bed
    >

    >not that you would find many handheld now one hopes

    Hmm, handheld barcode scanners would probably qualify...
    Gurble, Nov 11, 2004
  12. Gurble said the following on 11/11/2004 21:49:
    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:21:12 -0800, "James West" <>
    > had this to say:
    >

    >> Hand-held
    >>[D] Flat-bed
    >>

    >>not that you would find many handheld now one hopes

    > Hmm, handheld barcode scanners would probably qualify...

    Actually I had that in mind so I grabed the curriculum notes for A+ and
    had a look, barcode is not covered! so I would have bombed if it had
    been an option.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 11, 2004
  13. Gordon

    Enkidu Guest

    Barcode scanners, James.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 11, 2004
  14. Gordon

    Enkidu Guest

    Re: An IT exam experiment Answer

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:08:33 +1300, Collector»NZ
    <> wrote:

    >Collector»NZ said the following on 11/11/2004 16:31:
    >> I got asked today to participate in a little experiment, I got asked to
    >> sit A+ exams. (test exams)
    >> Core, Hardware and OS and oh boy what a laugh, I got acceptable scores
    >> (better than 75%) but I had a laugh or two when I reviewed the questions
    >> and answers.
    >> One in particular was an excellent example,
    >> Which are the main types of scanners you will come across in your work
    >> as a PC technician?
    >> [A] Dual Oscillation
    >> Hand-held
    >> [C] Roll-over
    >> [D] Flat-bed
    >> [E] Opto-electrical
    >>
    >> Any bright sparks here want to venture the correct answers for this one?
    >>
    >> Most of the questions where good, but some of them where just plain out
    >> of touch with the real world as it is today.
    >> At least the experiment answered the question as to wether A+ was a
    >> releveant qualification for a certain job.

    >It was B and D as the correct official answers.
    >
    >I found it amusing since in my 18 years I have dealt with Hand Scanners,
    >Flat Bed Scanners, Film and Negative Scanners and Drum Scanners. That
    >said I havnt dealt with a hand scanner in the last 8 years, where I have
    >dealt with all the others in the last 12 months.
    >The question was good as to extracting course learnt knowledge but how
    >much use is that when it is not current!

    You don't deal with barcode scanners then?

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Nov 11, 2004
  15. Gordon

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:31:56 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > [A] Dual Oscillation
    > Hand-held
    > [C] Roll-over
    > [D] Flat-bed
    > [E] Opto-electrical

    I'd say B would be the only commonly found one. But they are all
    opto-electrical...

    None of them are commonly repaired or repairable, so I question the need to
    be familiar with the specific implementation of the technology.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Those who control their passions do so because their passions are weak enough to be controlled." -- William Blake

    Note: All my comments are copyright 11/11/2004 10:33:31 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Nov 11, 2004
  16. Brendan said the following on 11/11/2004 23:04:
    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:31:56 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:
    >

    >> [A] Dual Oscillation
    >> Hand-held
    >> [C] Roll-over
    >> [D] Flat-bed
    >> [E] Opto-electrical

    > I'd say B would be the only commonly found one. But they are all
    > opto-electrical...
    >
    > None of them are commonly repaired or repairable, so I question the need to
    > be familiar with the specific implementation of the technology.

    Well actually it is not the repair of the unit that is the point but
    rather the installation of and troubleshooting of. Eg is it a faulty
    lead or is the unit a throw away.

    BTW The answer from the official sheet is B and D. E is a description of
    how they operate.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 11, 2004
  17. Brendan wrote:
    >> [A] Dual Oscillation
    >> Hand-held
    >> [C] Roll-over
    >> [D] Flat-bed
    >> [E] Opto-electrical

    > I'd say B would be the only commonly found one. But they are all
    > opto-electrical...

    "Computerman", never come across a scanner used for scanning pages?
    option D :)
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 11, 2004
  18. Gordon

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:07:52 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Brendan wrote:
    >>> [A] Dual Oscillation
    >>> Hand-held
    >>> [C] Roll-over
    >>> [D] Flat-bed
    >>> [E] Opto-electrical

    >> I'd say B would be the only commonly found one. But they are all
    >> opto-electrical...

    > "Computerman", never come across a scanner used for scanning pages?
    > option D :)

    ****! I thought i put D What a cock up. I had originally put B and D, and
    then thought I'd delete B because I hadn't seen one of those for ages. And
    so I deleted the wrong one.

    Of course I come across them, I have one in front of me now and a client is
    bringing one in later with his comp.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "University politics are vicious precisely because the stakes are so small." -- Henry Kissinger

    Note: All my comments are copyright 12/11/2004 11:13:27 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Nov 12, 2004
  19. Gordon

    James West Guest