An end to Woger ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Brendan, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    I am currently trialing a news/email program called Dialog (40tude). It is
    much like Agent but better - far better.

    One of the most useful features it has is the ability to filter based upon
    ANY header. The "NNTP-Posting-Host:" header for example...

    So, with an entry like:

    [*]
    !markread Header {^(NNTP-Posting-Host: 203.79.83.241)}

    in the scoring/action file, Woger - bane of all useful threads in nz.comp -
    is NO MORE!

    I reccomend everyone try Dialog. It's got a bloody lot of features that
    Agent lacks, and for the first time in ~8 years I am likely to ditch Agent.
    It has everything people have asked for Agent to have and never received.
    And it's free. Give it a look.

    --
    ...... Brendan

    Shamelessly stolen quote:
    that the conspiracy is working.

    Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not
    otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.

    Brendan, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Brendan

    Chris Guest

    Brendan <corum.usenet@myrealbox....com> wrote in

    > Dialog (40tude)

    This is the url 4 anyone interested:

    http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

    Free for private use

    Chris, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Brendan

    Wyn Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > I am currently trialing a news/email program called Dialog (40tude).
    > It is much like Agent but better - far better.
    >
    > One of the most useful features it has is the ability to filter based
    > upon ANY header. The "NNTP-Posting-Host:" header for example...
    >
    > So, with an entry like:
    >

    > [*]
    > !markread Header {^(NNTP-Posting-Host: 203.79.83.241)}
    >

    > in the scoring/action file, Woger - bane of all useful threads in
    > nz.comp - is NO MORE!

    Ha! But only until someone responds to one of Woger's posts.

    Wyn

    Wyn, Dec 17, 2003
  4. z (Bruce Sinclair) writes:

    > Windows only. Pity.

    GNUs will let one filter on NNTP-Posting-Host. I haven't bothered
    setting it up to do so yet, but it is possible. I think that slrn
    probably offers the same option.

    --
    Registered Linux User 297164
    GPG Key ID 1B1B6A1D5A2407C3

    Max Quordlepleen, Dec 17, 2003
  5. Brendan

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 03:27:26 +1300, Brendan <corum.usenet@myrealbox....com>
    wrote:

    >I am currently trialing a news/email program called Dialog (40tude). It is
    >much like Agent but better - far better.
    >
    >One of the most useful features it has is the ability to filter based upon
    >ANY header. The "NNTP-Posting-Host:" header for example...
    >
    >So, with an entry like:
    >

    >[*]
    >!markread Header {^(NNTP-Posting-Host: 203.79.83.241)}
    >

    >in the scoring/action file, Woger - bane of all useful threads in nz.comp -
    >is NO MORE!
    >
    >I reccomend everyone try Dialog. It's got a bloody lot of features that
    >Agent lacks, and for the first time in ~8 years I am likely to ditch Agent.
    >It has everything people have asked for Agent to have and never received.
    >And it's free. Give it a look.

    Why don't you read the Agent news group as Agent 2 has all those features you
    are missing..

    Dumdedo, Dec 17, 2003
  6. Brendan

    Rider Guest

    "Dumdedo" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 03:27:26 +1300, Brendan

    <corum.usenet@myrealbox....com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >I am currently trialing a news/email program called Dialog (40tude). It

    is
    > >much like Agent but better - far better.
    > >
    > >One of the most useful features it has is the ability to filter based

    upon
    > >ANY header. The "NNTP-Posting-Host:" header for example...
    > >
    > >So, with an entry like:
    > >

    > >[*]
    > >!markread Header {^(NNTP-Posting-Host: 203.79.83.241)}
    > >

    > >in the scoring/action file, Woger - bane of all useful threads in

    nz.comp -
    > >is NO MORE!
    > >
    > >I reccomend everyone try Dialog. It's got a bloody lot of features that
    > >Agent lacks, and for the first time in ~8 years I am likely to ditch

    Agent.
    > >It has everything people have asked for Agent to have and never received.
    > >And it's free. Give it a look.

    > Why don't you read the Agent news group as Agent 2 has all those features

    you
    > are missing..

    Seeing as he didnt list what features he was referring to, how do you know
    Agent2 has them?? Are you psychic?

    Rider, Dec 17, 2003
  7. In article <Kg2Eb.13438$>, Chris <> wrote:
    >Brendan <corum.usenet@myrealbox....com> wrote in
    >
    >> Dialog (40tude)

    >This is the url 4 anyone interested:
    >
    >http://www.40tude.com/dialog/
    >
    >Free for private use

    Windows only. Pity.

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 17, 2003
  8. Brendan

    Invisible Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:24:15 +1300, "Rider" <>
    wrote:

    >"Dumdedo" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 03:27:26 +1300, Brendan

    ><corum.usenet@myrealbox....com>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >I am currently trialing a news/email program called Dialog (40tude). It

    >is
    >> >much like Agent but better - far better.
    >> >
    >> >One of the most useful features it has is the ability to filter based

    >upon
    >> >ANY header. The "NNTP-Posting-Host:" header for example...
    >> >
    >> >So, with an entry like:
    >> >

    >> >[*]
    >> >!markread Header {^(NNTP-Posting-Host: 203.79.83.241)}
    >> >

    >> >in the scoring/action file, Woger - bane of all useful threads in

    >nz.comp -
    >> >is NO MORE!
    >> >
    >> >I reccomend everyone try Dialog. It's got a bloody lot of features that
    >> >Agent lacks, and for the first time in ~8 years I am likely to ditch

    >Agent.
    >> >It has everything people have asked for Agent to have and never received.
    >> >And it's free. Give it a look.

    >> Why don't you read the Agent news group as Agent 2 has all those features

    >you
    >> are missing..
    >>

    >Seeing as he didnt list what features he was referring to, how do you know
    >Agent2 has them?? Are you psychic?

    He read the newsgroup! He got the FACTS from there. The master of them all
    checked out the BETA, Woger the master beta ;-)

    Invisible, Dec 17, 2003
  9. Brendan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > "Dumdedo" <> wrote in message
    >> Why don't you read the Agent news group as Agent 2 has all those
    >> features you are missing..
    >>

    > Seeing as he didnt list what features he was referring to, how do you
    > know Agent2 has them?? Are you psychic?

    Sorry to correct you but it's spelt "psychotic". ;-)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 17, 2003
  10. In article <>, Max Quordlepleen <> wrote:
    > (Bruce Sinclair) writes:
    >
    >> Windows only. Pity.

    >GNUs will let one filter on NNTP-Posting-Host. I haven't bothered
    >setting it up to do so yet, but it is possible. I think that slrn
    >probably offers the same option.

    Thanks ... I figured there was probably one to do the job ... I just
    haven't needed it yet. :)

    I'll keep your suggestions somewhere handy.

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 18, 2003
  11. Brendan

    Warwick Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 03:27:26 +1300, Brendan wrote:

    > I am currently trialing a news/email program called Dialog (40tude). It is
    > much like Agent but better - far better.
    >
    > One of the most useful features it has is the ability to filter based upon
    > ANY header. The "NNTP-Posting-Host:" header for example...
    >
    > So, with an entry like:
    >

    > [*]
    > !markread Header {^(NNTP-Posting-Host: 203.79.83.241)}
    >

    > in the scoring/action file, Woger - bane of all useful threads in nz.comp -
    > is NO MORE!
    >
    > I reccomend everyone try Dialog. It's got a bloody lot of features that
    > Agent lacks, and for the first time in ~8 years I am likely to ditch Agent.
    > It has everything people have asked for Agent to have and never received.
    > And it's free. Give it a look.

    Thanks mate, that was worth a look.
    First impression - threaded header recovery is a GOOOOD thing. This is only
    an impression, (I've not bothered with a comparison test) but it seems
    truckloads faster than Forte was at dragging headers of Xtras' news server.
    (Which is admittedly slower than many others).

    ty
    Warwick

    Warwick, Dec 18, 2003
  12. Brendan

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 03:27:26 +1300, Brendan
    <corum.usenet@myrealbox....com> wrote:

    >I am currently trialing a news/email program called Dialog (40tude). It is
    >much like Agent but better - far better.

    Been trying Dialog and Pan. Dialogue better than Pan but I wouldn't
    say that Dialog is *far better* than Agent. It still has some rough
    edges in my opinion. How do you save selected attachments in Dialog,
    for instance? With Agent you just press 'a', then it downloads and
    saves them. Multiple operations needed in Dialogue. But it is still
    a time-limited beta. Can't say how it compares with Super Gravity.

    GraB, Dec 18, 2003
  13. Brendan

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:16:19 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 03:27:26 +1300, Brendan
    ><corum.usenet@myrealbox....com> wrote:
    >

    >>I am currently trialing a news/email program called Dialog (40tude). It is
    >>much like Agent but better - far better.

    >Been trying Dialog and Pan. Dialogue better than Pan but I wouldn't
    >say that Dialog is *far better* than Agent. It still has some rough
    >edges in my opinion. How do you save selected attachments in Dialog,
    >for instance? With Agent you just press 'a', then it downloads and
    >saves them. Multiple operations needed in Dialogue. But it is still
    >a time-limited beta. Can't say how it compares with Super Gravity.

    Can it decode Yenc attachments..?

    Dumdedo, Dec 18, 2003
  14. Brendan

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:43:45 +1300, "Wyn" <> wrote:

    >Brendan wrote:
    >> I am currently trialing a news/email program called Dialog (40tude).
    >> It is much like Agent but better - far better.
    >>
    >> One of the most useful features it has is the ability to filter based
    >> upon ANY header. The "NNTP-Posting-Host:" header for example...
    >>
    >> So, with an entry like:
    >>

    >> [*]
    >> !markread Header {^(NNTP-Posting-Host: 203.79.83.241)}
    >>

    >> in the scoring/action file, Woger - bane of all useful threads in
    >> nz.comp - is NO MORE!

    >Ha! But only until someone responds to one of Woger's posts.
    >
    >Wyn

    The problem is that Brendan thinks he is father christmas, but then I found
    out that he is not..

    The Tall Poppy Syndrome runs rampant in this news group.

    Also referred to as the NZ disease.

    Dumdedo, Dec 18, 2003
  15. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:50:47 +1300, Warwick wrote:

    > Thanks mate, that was worth a look.

    :)

    > First impression - threaded header recovery is a GOOOOD thing. This is only
    > an impression, (I've not bothered with a comparison test) but it seems
    > truckloads faster than Forte was at dragging headers of Xtras' news server.
    > (Which is admittedly slower than many others).

    Seems better all around.

    Takes a little getting used to - soo many things you CAN fiddle with :)

    --
    ...... Brendan

    Shamelessly stolen quote:
    > it a staged event with selected soldiers and a plastic turkey,

    Never heard George Bush called that before!

    Brendan, Dec 18, 2003
  16. Brendan

    back again Guest

    > I am currently trialing a news/email program called Dialog (40tude).
    > It is much like Agent but better - far better.
    >
    > One of the most useful features it has is the ability to filter based
    > upon ANY header. The "NNTP-Posting-Host:" header for example...
    >
    > So, with an entry like:
    >

    > [*]
    > !markread Header {^(NNTP-Posting-Host: 203.79.83.241)}
    >

    > in the scoring/action file, Woger - bane of all useful threads in
    > nz.comp - is NO MORE!

    Woger has been thankfully auto filtered by my free news reader of choice
    based on the above for many months. I use XNews.

    back again, Dec 18, 2003
  17. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:16:19 +1300, GraB wrote:

    > Been trying Dialog and Pan. Dialogue better than Pan but I wouldn't
    > say that Dialog is *far better* than Agent. It still has some rough
    > edges in my opinion.

    No, I think it's pretty damn good.

    >How do you save selected attachments in Dialog,
    > for instance?

    Right-click on the message in the message list, chose "save selected
    attachments" ??

    >With Agent you just press 'a', then it downloads and
    > saves them. Multiple operations needed in Dialogue.

    I've set it to download bodies with ALL headers.

    >But it is still a time-limited beta.

    True.

    >Can't say how it compares with Super Gravity.

    Me neither. Would like to know though.

    --
    ...... Brendan

    Shamelessly stolen quote:
    Two wrongs don't make a very good excuse...

    Brendan, Dec 18, 2003
  18. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:43:45 +1300, Wyn wrote:

    > Ha! But only until someone responds to one of Woger's posts.

    People who do that get scored lower. Eventually they'll just be killfiled.

    Brendan, Dec 18, 2003
  19. Brendan

    SomebodyElse Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 06:41:53 +0000, back again wrote:

    > Brendan <corum.usenet@myrealbox....com> wrote in
    >

    >> I am currently trialing a news/email program called Dialog (40tude).
    >> It is much like Agent but better - far better.
    >>
    >> One of the most useful features it has is the ability to filter based
    >> upon ANY header. The "NNTP-Posting-Host:" header for example...
    >>
    >> So, with an entry like:
    >>

    >> [*]
    >> !markread Header {^(NNTP-Posting-Host: 203.79.83.241)}
    >>

    >> in the scoring/action file, Woger - bane of all useful threads in
    >> nz.comp - is NO MORE!

    > Woger has been thankfully auto filtered by my free news reader of choice
    > based on the above for many months. I use XNews.

    But does it just filter out him, or also the rest of the garbage that
    inevitably follows. That's what I want - to be able to ignore a post and
    have the rest of that part of the thread ignored too, but the thread
    following from before that to not be ignored.

    Does that make sense?

    Is there a newsreader that'll do this?

    Cheers
    Scott

    SomebodyElse, Dec 18, 2003
  20. SomebodyElse <> writes:

    > That's what I want - to be able to ignore a post and
    > have the rest of that part of the thread ignored too, but the thread
    > following from before that to not be ignored.
    >
    > Does that make sense?
    >
    > Is there a newsreader that'll do this?

    Xnews, GNUs, and, I suspect slrn. Probably also Dialog, if its
    scripting capabilities are as I've heard them described.

    Max Quordlepleen, Dec 18, 2003