"An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by exiter, Mar 25, 2007.

  1. exiter

    exiter Guest

    I get this error when using a popular bit torrent client and using the
    native Vista firewall.
    "An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its
    access permissions"
    Others have expreienced this with and without 3rd party firewalls and
    other bit torrents clients.

    When this error occures my internet connection dies.
    I'm not totally disconnected but there's no internet radio and the
    internet gadgets stop working, i.e. Vista's Weather Gadget, also
    Internet Explorer stops bring up pages/sites like it's not connected.
    My internet connection with the ethernet card and DSL is still
    connected but i'm basically cut off from there.
    My DSL modem is directly connected to the ethernet card on the
    computer. No router.
    Only a restart can cures this until any where from a couple hours to a
    day when it happens again.

    This is odd and also frustrating....

    The things I have done so far:
    Turned off UAC.
    Ran said program as Administrator.
    Turn on and off firewall.
    Ran said program in Compatibility mode. (WindowsXP SP2)
    Gave said program all permissions to access internet. (Using wf.msc)
    Switched out ethernet cards.
    Turned off and then on IPv6.
    Kicked the garbage can...really HARD!

    Is this something to do with the way Vista handles high traffic and is
    there a fix/cure?
    Please any help will be greatly appericated!
    exiter, Mar 25, 2007

  2. exiter

    Guest

    On Mar 25, 10:09 am, "exiter" <> wrote:
    > I get this error when using a popular bit torrent client and using the
    > native Vista firewall.
    > "An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its
    > access permissions"

    <rest is deleted form brevity>

    It seems that you were running two applications, and they are trying
    to access the same sockets.

    What Microsoft says about ur problem
    :
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819124

    WSAEACCES (10013)

    · Translation: Permission denied.
    forbidden by its access permissions. For example, this error occurs
    when a broadcast address is used for sendto but the broadcast
    permission is not set by using setsockopt(SO_BROADCAST). Another
    possible reason for the WSAEACCES error is that when the bind
    (Wsapiref_6vzm.asp) function is called (in Microsoft Windows NT 4 .0
    Service Pack 4 [SP4] or later), another program, service, or kernel
    mode driver is bound to the same address with exclusive access. Such
    exclusive access is a new feature of Windows NT 4.0 SP4 and later, and
    it is implemented by using the SO_EXCLUSIVEADDRUSE option.

    Hope this help
    , Mar 25, 2007

  3. exiter

    exiter Guest

    oki...
    i got that much basically...

    i need to know how to fix it.
    or can it be resolved some how?
    i know there was a patch to allow certain amount of sockets to be
    opened on XP.
    this is frustrating to no end...i restarted just now twice within an
    hour just to regain a connection.

    i really hate to take this rig back and ask for a Linux driven
    one...of course the place doesnt sell them. :(
    exiter, Mar 26, 2007
  4. exiter

    Peacekeeper

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    try this

    I got the same error message, I system restored (Windows Update restore point)
    Anyway all is well now.:congrats:
    Peacekeeper, Feb 27, 2012