An Attempt At Something

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Sep 8, 2011.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    Recently, there was a link in a post to page of abstract or
    non-representational treatment of photographs. No one seemed
    particularly enthusiastic about the results, but I liked some.

    I decided to try it, and found it is not as easy as you might think.
    At least, it wasn't for me.

    I went out yesterday and shot one photograph for the project. I had
    an idea in mind, but I was determined to work with just one photo.
    This is the original shot:
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-fqMGw9d/0/XL/2011-09-06-1-XL.jpg

    Then I used an Adjustment Layer in Photoshop set to Threshold:

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-D6SPWLh/0/X3/2011-09-06-2-X3.jpg

    Then, I painted in the sky, the water, and trees in the three colors
    leaving the pilings and bird in the threshold version. I used the
    brush on Normal, so I reduced the Opacity of the color layers to get
    some of the detail back in.

    First version:

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-xmrr3nr/0/X3/2011-09-06-3-X3.jpg

    Second version with the sky not quite so dark:

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-8bCNXxx/0/X3/2011-09-06-4-X3.jpg

    I'm not excited about any of the results, but I now have more respect
    for people who do this sort of thing and make it come out interesting.

    Comments or your attempt welcome.




    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Sep 8, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/8/2011 2:08 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > Recently, there was a link in a post to page of abstract or
    > non-representational treatment of photographs. No one seemed
    > particularly enthusiastic about the results, but I liked some.
    >
    > I decided to try it, and found it is not as easy as you might think.
    > At least, it wasn't for me.
    >
    > I went out yesterday and shot one photograph for the project. I had
    > an idea in mind, but I was determined to work with just one photo.
    > This is the original shot:
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-fqMGw9d/0/XL/2011-09-06-1-XL.jpg
    >
    > Then I used an Adjustment Layer in Photoshop set to Threshold:
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-D6SPWLh/0/X3/2011-09-06-2-X3.jpg
    >
    > Then, I painted in the sky, the water, and trees in the three colors
    > leaving the pilings and bird in the threshold version. I used the
    > brush on Normal, so I reduced the Opacity of the color layers to get
    > some of the detail back in.
    >
    > First version:
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-xmrr3nr/0/X3/2011-09-06-3-X3.jpg
    >
    > Second version with the sky not quite so dark:
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-8bCNXxx/0/X3/2011-09-06-4-X3.jpg
    >
    > I'm not excited about any of the results, but I now have more respect
    > for people who do this sort of thing and make it come out interesting.
    >
    > Comments or your attempt welcome.
    >


    Happy to see you experimenting out of your normal comfort zone.
    Abstracts are an acquired taste. You will either love it, or go back to
    realism. There is no reason why abstracts cannot be combined with
    realism. If you start to like abstracts, you will know what to do,
    because the image will tell you. Then one only needs to practice
    technique. Open your mind a bit and you will see what I mean. I think
    some of your people shots would also make good abstracts.
    I have submitted abstracts to SI in the past, and I have one planned for
    The dusk to dawn.


    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Sep 8, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/8/2011 2:46 PM, Frank S wrote:
    >
    > "PeterN" <> wrote in message
    > news:4e690c5a$0$5500$-secrets.com...
    >> On 9/8/2011 2:08 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    >>> Recently, there was a link in a post to page of abstract or
    >>> non-representational treatment of photographs. No one seemed
    >>> particularly enthusiastic about the results, but I liked some.
    >>>
    >>> I decided to try it, and found it is not as easy as you might think.
    >>> At least, it wasn't for me.
    >>>
    >>> I went out yesterday and shot one photograph for the project. I had
    >>> an idea in mind, but I was determined to work with just one photo.
    >>> This is the original shot:
    >>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-fqMGw9d/0/XL/2011-09-06-1-XL.jpg
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Then I used an Adjustment Layer in Photoshop set to Threshold:
    >>>
    >>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-D6SPWLh/0/X3/2011-09-06-2-X3.jpg
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Then, I painted in the sky, the water, and trees in the three colors
    >>> leaving the pilings and bird in the threshold version. I used the
    >>> brush on Normal, so I reduced the Opacity of the color layers to get
    >>> some of the detail back in.
    >>>
    >>> First version:
    >>>
    >>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-xmrr3nr/0/X3/2011-09-06-3-X3.jpg
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Second version with the sky not quite so dark:
    >>>
    >>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-8bCNXxx/0/X3/2011-09-06-4-X3.jpg
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> I'm not excited about any of the results, but I now have more respect
    >>> for people who do this sort of thing and make it come out interesting.
    >>>
    >>> Comments or your attempt welcome.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Happy to see you experimenting out of your normal comfort zone.
    >> Abstracts are an acquired taste. You will either love it, or go back
    >> to realism. There is no reason why abstracts cannot be combined with
    >> realism. If you start to like abstracts, you will know what to do,
    >> because the image will tell you. Then one only needs to practice
    >> technique. Open your mind a bit and you will see what I mean. I think
    >> some of your people shots would also make good abstracts.
    >> I have submitted abstracts to SI in the past, and I have one planned
    >> for The dusk to dawn.
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > It took a lot more work to do this on linoleum block prints in the
    > seventh grade. Some of it was very satisfying. Some not so. Not to my
    > taste these days, although I put a lot of work into them way back then.
    >
    >

    Yup! It also took a lot of work to do posterizations before PS. I used
    to use x-ray film for posterizations. Registration was easy once I made
    a pin registration board & die.

    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Sep 8, 2011
    #3
  4. "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > First version:
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-xmrr3nr/0/X3/2011-09-06-3-X3.jpg
    >
    > Second version with the sky not quite so dark:
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-8bCNXxx/0/X3/2011-09-06-4-X3.jpg
    >
    > I'm not excited about any of the results, but I now have more respect
    > for people who do this sort of thing and make it come out interesting.
    >
    > Comments or your attempt welcome.


    Looks okay to my eyes for what it is. I like the deeper blue one because
    it's richer but think it might suit a more complex image, and the lighter
    blue one for the overall feel of the minimalistic image.

    If you do a short script maybe you could produce a comic book? A single page
    is a bit tough but a double page spread might work. Any longer and it starts
    turning into a lot of work unless you're up to it.

    --
    Charles E. Hardwidge
     
    Charles E. Hardwidge, Sep 8, 2011
    #4
  5. tony cooper

    Irwell Guest

    On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 12:31:02 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

    > On 2011-09-08 11:08:43 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> Recently, there was a link in a post to page of abstract or
    >> non-representational treatment of photographs. No one seemed
    >> particularly enthusiastic about the results, but I liked some.
    >>
    >> I decided to try it, and found it is not as easy as you might think.
    >> At least, it wasn't for me.
    >>
    >> I went out yesterday and shot one photograph for the project. I had
    >> an idea in mind, but I was determined to work with just one photo.
    >> This is the original shot:
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-fqMGw9d/0/XL/2011-09-06-1-XL.jpg

    >
    > Then
    >>
    >> I used an Adjustment Layer in Photoshop set to Threshold:
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-D6SPWLh/0/X3/2011-09-06-2-X3.jpg

    >
    > Then,
    >>
    >> I painted in the sky, the water, and trees in the three colors
    >> leaving the pilings and bird in the threshold version. I used the
    >> brush on Normal, so I reduced the Opacity of the color layers to get
    >> some of the detail back in.
    >>
    >> First version:
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-xmrr3nr/0/X3/2011-09-06-3-X3.jpg

    >
    > Second
    >>
    >> version with the sky not quite so dark:
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-8bCNXxx/0/X3/2011-09-06-4-X3.jpg

    >
    > I'm
    >>
    >> not excited about any of the results, but I now have more respect
    >> for people who do this sort of thing and make it come out interesting.
    >>
    >> Comments or your attempt welcome.

    >
    > The results don't grab me either, but that should not be the point of
    > the exercise. What you have done is to experiment to make an artistic
    > expression from what might otherwise be a mundane shot.
    > It also gives you an opportunity to test the versatility and depth of PS.
    >
    > Sometimes it can be interesting to make something a little different
    > just for the hell of it.
    > < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Cisitalia-comp.jpg >


    I agree, a couple of attempts.
    http://usera.ImageCave.com/irwell/abstract3.jpg
    http://usera.ImageCave.com/irwell/abstract.jpg
    http://usera.ImageCave.com/irwell/abstrac2t.jpg
     
    Irwell, Sep 8, 2011
    #5
  6. On Sep 8, 1:08 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:
    > Recently, there was a link in a post to page of abstract or
    > non-representational treatment of photographs.  No one seemed
    > particularly enthusiastic about the results, but I liked some.
    >
    > I decided to try it, and found it is not as easy as you might think.
    > At least, it wasn't for me.
    >
    > I went out yesterday and shot one photograph for the project.  I had
    > an idea in mind, but I was determined to work with just one photo.
    > This is the original shot:http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-fqMGw9d/0...
    >
    > Then I used an Adjustment Layer in Photoshop set to Threshold:
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-D6SPWLh/0...
    >
    > Then, I painted in the sky, the water, and trees in the three colors
    > leaving the pilings and bird in the threshold version.  I used the
    > brush on Normal, so I reduced the Opacity of the color layers to get
    > some of the detail back in.
    >
    > First version:
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-xmrr3nr/0...
    >
    > Second version with the sky not quite so dark:
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-8bCNXxx/0...
    >
    > I'm not excited about any of the results, but I now have more respect
    > for people who do this sort of thing and make it come out interesting.
    >
    > Comments or your attempt welcome.


    With the caveat that I'm not mostly very fond of
    such things (rather like you, it sounds like; not
    completely immune and not rejecting the idea
    on principle), I have some comments.

    I like the way the water came out. I like
    the way the pilings came out. The far shore
    is at worst harmless, the details of it
    are not very important in the picture.

    Actually, I think what's wrong with this version
    is the colors you chose; especially the sky
    color and how it relates to the water.
     
    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 8, 2011
    #6
  7. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/8/2011 4:34 PM, Irwell wrote:
    > On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 12:31:02 -0700, Savageduck wrote:
    >
    >> On 2011-09-08 11:08:43 -0700, tony cooper<> said:
    >>
    >>> Recently, there was a link in a post to page of abstract or
    >>> non-representational treatment of photographs. No one seemed
    >>> particularly enthusiastic about the results, but I liked some.
    >>>
    >>> I decided to try it, and found it is not as easy as you might think.
    >>> At least, it wasn't for me.
    >>>
    >>> I went out yesterday and shot one photograph for the project. I had
    >>> an idea in mind, but I was determined to work with just one photo.
    >>> This is the original shot:
    >>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-fqMGw9d/0/XL/2011-09-06-1-XL.jpg

    >>
    >> Then
    >>>
    >>> I used an Adjustment Layer in Photoshop set to Threshold:
    >>>
    >>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-D6SPWLh/0/X3/2011-09-06-2-X3.jpg

    >>
    >> Then,
    >>>
    >>> I painted in the sky, the water, and trees in the three colors
    >>> leaving the pilings and bird in the threshold version. I used the
    >>> brush on Normal, so I reduced the Opacity of the color layers to get
    >>> some of the detail back in.
    >>>
    >>> First version:
    >>>
    >>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-xmrr3nr/0/X3/2011-09-06-3-X3.jpg

    >>
    >> Second
    >>>
    >>> version with the sky not quite so dark:
    >>>
    >>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-8bCNXxx/0/X3/2011-09-06-4-X3.jpg

    >>
    >> I'm
    >>>
    >>> not excited about any of the results, but I now have more respect
    >>> for people who do this sort of thing and make it come out interesting.
    >>>
    >>> Comments or your attempt welcome.

    >>
    >> The results don't grab me either, but that should not be the point of
    >> the exercise. What you have done is to experiment to make an artistic
    >> expression from what might otherwise be a mundane shot.
    >> It also gives you an opportunity to test the versatility and depth of PS.
    >>
    >> Sometimes it can be interesting to make something a little different
    >> just for the hell of it.
    >> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Cisitalia-comp.jpg>

    >
    > I agree, a couple of attempts.
    > http://usera.ImageCave.com/irwell/abstract3.jpg
    > http://usera.ImageCave.com/irwell/abstract.jpg
    > http://usera.ImageCave.com/irwell/abstrac2t.jpg



    I like the middle one. I just don't see the others.



    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Sep 8, 2011
    #7
  8. Gordon Freeman, Sep 8, 2011
    #8
  9. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 13:44:47 -0700 (PDT), David Dyer-Bennet
    <> wrote:

    >On Sep 8, 1:08 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:
    >> Recently, there was a link in a post to page of abstract or
    >> non-representational treatment of photographs.  No one seemed
    >> particularly enthusiastic about the results, but I liked some.
    >>
    >> I decided to try it, and found it is not as easy as you might think.
    >> At least, it wasn't for me.
    >>
    >> I went out yesterday and shot one photograph for the project.  I had
    >> an idea in mind, but I was determined to work with just one photo.
    >> This is the original shot:http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-fqMGw9d/0...
    >>
    >> Then I used an Adjustment Layer in Photoshop set to Threshold:
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-D6SPWLh/0...
    >>
    >> Then, I painted in the sky, the water, and trees in the three colors
    >> leaving the pilings and bird in the threshold version.  I used the
    >> brush on Normal, so I reduced the Opacity of the color layers to get
    >> some of the detail back in.
    >>
    >> First version:
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-xmrr3nr/0...
    >>
    >> Second version with the sky not quite so dark:
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-8bCNXxx/0...
    >>
    >> I'm not excited about any of the results, but I now have more respect
    >> for people who do this sort of thing and make it come out interesting.
    >>
    >> Comments or your attempt welcome.

    >
    >With the caveat that I'm not mostly very fond of
    >such things (rather like you, it sounds like; not
    >completely immune and not rejecting the idea
    >on principle), I have some comments.
    >
    >I like the way the water came out. I like
    >the way the pilings came out. The far shore
    >is at worst harmless, the details of it
    >are not very important in the picture.


    I could have taken the far shore out, but I wanted a division between
    the sky and the water.

    >Actually, I think what's wrong with this version
    >is the colors you chose; especially the sky
    >color and how it relates to the water.


    I agree about the color. They don't really work for me either. I
    picked them out of the standard Photoshop palette. I don't have a
    good innate sense of color.

    The lake (this is at a lake, not the ocean) itself is dark green,
    almost black, but people expect some version of blue for water.

    This is what I was talking about when I said it isn't as easy as you
    might think. It was easy, but painstaking, to work with layer masks
    to paint in the areas. I have a Wacom tablet. That's the mechanical
    part.

    The creative part is choosing the colors. The abstracts that real
    artists do look so damn simple, but there's a knack that I don't have
    to selecting the right colors.

    Peter likes the straight black and white version done by using a
    straight Threshold adjustment layer, but that's probably because the
    colors don't interfere with what he sees.

    The other difficult part was in taking the photo to wait until the
    bird opened its wings. I was determined to make this a one-shot
    project and I wanted a good silhouette. I wanted a larger bird but
    took what I got.







    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Sep 8, 2011
    #9
  10. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 14:08:43 -0400, tony cooper <>
    wrote:
    : Recently, there was a link in a post to page of abstract or
    : non-representational treatment of photographs. No one seemed
    : particularly enthusiastic about the results, but I liked some.
    :
    : I decided to try it, and found it is not as easy as you might think.
    : At least, it wasn't for me.
    :
    : I went out yesterday and shot one photograph for the project. I had
    : an idea in mind, but I was determined to work with just one photo.
    : This is the original shot:
    : http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-fqMGw9d/0/XL/2011-09-06-1-XL.jpg
    :
    : Then I used an Adjustment Layer in Photoshop set to Threshold:
    :
    : http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-D6SPWLh/0/X3/2011-09-06-2-X3.jpg
    :
    : Then, I painted in the sky, the water, and trees in the three colors
    : leaving the pilings and bird in the threshold version. I used the
    : brush on Normal, so I reduced the Opacity of the color layers to get
    : some of the detail back in.
    :
    : First version:
    :
    : http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-xmrr3nr/0/X3/2011-09-06-3-X3.jpg
    :
    : Second version with the sky not quite so dark:
    :
    : http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-8bCNXxx/0/X3/2011-09-06-4-X3.jpg
    :
    : I'm not excited about any of the results, but I now have more respect
    : for people who do this sort of thing and make it come out interesting.
    :
    : Comments or your attempt welcome.

    It the first version the bird gets lost in the dark sky. But I liked the
    second one.

    Bob
     
    Robert Coe, Sep 9, 2011
    #10
  11. On Sep 8, 5:03 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 13:44:47 -0700 (PDT), David Dyer-Bennet
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >On Sep 8, 1:08 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:
    > >> Recently, there was a link in a post to page of abstract or
    > >> non-representational treatment of photographs.  No one seemed
    > >> particularly enthusiastic about the results, but I liked some.

    >
    > >> I decided to try it, and found it is not as easy as you might think.
    > >> At least, it wasn't for me.

    >
    > >> I went out yesterday and shot one photograph for the project.  I had
    > >> an idea in mind, but I was determined to work with just one photo.
    > >> This is the original shot:http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-fqMGw9d/0...

    >
    > >> Then I used an Adjustment Layer in Photoshop set to Threshold:

    >
    > >>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-D6SPWLh/0....

    >
    > >> Then, I painted in the sky, the water, and trees in the three colors
    > >> leaving the pilings and bird in the threshold version.  I used the
    > >> brush on Normal, so I reduced the Opacity of the color layers to get
    > >> some of the detail back in.

    >
    > >> First version:

    >
    > >>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-xmrr3nr/0....

    >
    > >> Second version with the sky not quite so dark:

    >
    > >>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-8bCNXxx/0....

    >
    > >> I'm not excited about any of the results, but I now have more respect
    > >> for people who do this sort of thing and make it come out interesting.

    >
    > >> Comments or your attempt welcome.

    >
    > >With the caveat that I'm not mostly very fond of
    > >such things (rather like you, it sounds like; not
    > >completely immune and not rejecting the idea
    > >on principle), I have some comments.

    >
    > >I like the way the water came out.  I like
    > >the way the pilings came out.  The far shore
    > >is at worst harmless, the details of it
    > >are not very important in the picture.

    >
    > I could have taken the far shore out, but I wanted a division between
    > the sky and the water.


    I think that's the right choice. My "at worst
    harmless" isn't a particularly negative evaluation;
    it's just not strongly positive.

    > >Actually, I think what's wrong with this version
    > >is the colors you chose; especially the sky
    > >color and how it relates to the water.

    >
    > I agree about the color.  They don't really work for me either.  I
    > picked them out of the standard Photoshop palette.  I don't have a
    > good innate sense of color.
    >
    > The lake (this is at a lake, not the ocean) itself is dark green,
    > almost black, but people expect some version of blue for water.
    >
    > This is what I was talking about when I said it isn't as easy as you
    > might think.  It was easy, but painstaking, to work with layer masks
    > to paint in the areas.  I have a Wacom tablet.  That's the mechanical
    > part.


    I've played around enough to be reasonably
    confident from my own experience that it's not
    easy, in fact. While it's not my thing, I don't go
    to the point of saying that people who do it
    aren't doing anything hard or meaningful.

    Unlike many, and I know you're addressing
    a wider audience than just me.

    > The creative part is choosing the colors.  The abstracts that real
    > artists do look so damn simple, but there's a knack that I don't have
    > to selecting the right colors.


    Well, I do think there's a lot more than JUST
    the colors. But for me the colors are the hard
    part too.

    I've studied color theory some, with regard to
    choosing color palettes for web site designs,
    and I suspect that some of the techniques
    described in those books would also be
    useful here. Looking at particular angle
    relationships on the color wheel, in
    particular, has given me some interesting
    sets of colors. 60, 90, and 180 degrees seem
    to be often interesting. Pick a starting color,
    possibly from the original photo, or else
    completely synthetically, and build the others
    from there.

    > Peter likes the straight black and white version done by using a
    > straight Threshold adjustment layer, but that's probably because the
    > colors don't interfere with what he sees.
    >
    > The other difficult part was in taking the photo to wait until the
    > bird opened its wings.  I was determined to make this a one-shot
    > project and I wanted a good silhouette.  I wanted a larger bird but
    > took what I got.


    One-shot is a silly requirement I think. You got lucky,
    but having a backup if the bird never DID open its wings
    would have been smart. Well, unless that was clearly not
    going to be useful.

    Figuring out what you want and finding ways to
    work towards that is much much better than blasting
    away at random and hoping you get lucky, of course.
    High-speed shooting is useful for things that happen
    faster than you can react to (water patterns sometimes,
    for example), and high-volume shooting is useful
    for things that happen at random if you can't find a
    way to trigger on them, but pure machine-gunning
    away without thought is a waste of battery power.
     
    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 9, 2011
    #11
  12. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 08:59:39 -0700 (PDT), David Dyer-Bennet
    <> wrote:

    >> The other difficult part was in taking the photo to wait until the
    >> bird opened its wings.  I was determined to make this a one-shot
    >> project and I wanted a good silhouette.  I wanted a larger bird but
    >> took what I got.

    >
    >One-shot is a silly requirement I think. You got lucky,
    >but having a backup if the bird never DID open its wings
    >would have been smart. Well, unless that was clearly not
    >going to be useful.


    This was an exercise; a self-directed assignment: take one photo and
    turn it into an abstract non-representional piece. I had to plan the
    scene, find it, and photograph it. I knew the area and knew I'd find
    a piling there, and knew that a bird would eventually land on one.

    I had using Threshold in mind because of the stark blacks and absolute
    whites. Because there's nothing tonal about Threshold, the result is
    much different from converting something to black and white.
    Threshold only works, though, if you have an uncomplicated background
    that allows you to reduce the image to solids and voids.

    The St John's River flows through Lake Monroe and goes all the way up
    to Jacksonville and empties into the ocean. The pilings are remnants
    of passenger steamship docks.

    These birds, by the way, *always* open their wings like that. They're
    diving birds and open their wings to dry out after a dive.

    I don't normally take one shot of anything. I normally shoot from
    different angles, wide and close-up, and often with different
    settings.

    Sometimes, though, as a learning experience I'll set certain
    restrictions on my shooting.


    >Figuring out what you want and finding ways to
    >work towards that is much much better than blasting
    >away at random and hoping you get lucky, of course.
    >High-speed shooting is useful for things that happen
    >faster than you can react to (water patterns sometimes,
    >for example), and high-volume shooting is useful
    >for things that happen at random if you can't find a
    >way to trigger on them, but pure machine-gunning
    >away without thought is a waste of battery power.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Sep 9, 2011
    #12
  13. "Frank S" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "reSIST the URGE to exPLAIN"
    > -Screenwriter and Oscar nominee in an AOL chatroom


    So true of drama and jokes.

    Not saying Tony's pictures are a joke or he's a drama queen... o_O

    THAT WAS A LIGHTHEARTED RIBBING FOR THE US AUDIENCE WITHOUT A SENSE OF
    HUMOUR.

    Carry on.

    --
    Charles E. Hardwidge
     
    Charles E. Hardwidge, Sep 9, 2011
    #13
  14. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/9/2011 11:59 AM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    <snip>

    > One-shot is a silly requirement I think. You got lucky,
    > but having a backup if the bird never DID open its wings
    > would have been smart. Well, unless that was clearly not
    > going to be useful.
    >
    > Figuring out what you want and finding ways to
    > work towards that is much much better than blasting
    > away at random and hoping you get lucky, of course.
    > High-speed shooting is useful for things that happen
    > faster than you can react to (water patterns sometimes,
    > for example), and high-volume shooting is useful
    > for things that happen at random if you can't find a
    > way to trigger on them, but pure machine-gunning
    > away without thought is a waste of battery power.
    >


    And time.

    --
    Peter
    I have stopped purchasing long term warranties.
     
    PeterN, Sep 10, 2011
    #14
  15. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 18:26:43 -0700, Paul Furman <>
    wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:
    >> Recently, there was a link in a post to page of abstract or
    >> non-representational treatment of photographs. No one seemed
    >> particularly enthusiastic about the results, but I liked some.
    >>
    >> I decided to try it, and found it is not as easy as you might think.
    >> At least, it wasn't for me.
    >>
    >> I went out yesterday and shot one photograph for the project. I had
    >> an idea in mind, but I was determined to work with just one photo.
    >> This is the original shot:
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-fqMGw9d/0/XL/2011-09-06-1-XL.jpg
    >>
    >> Then I used an Adjustment Layer in Photoshop set to Threshold:
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-D6SPWLh/0/X3/2011-09-06-2-X3.jpg
    >>
    >> Then, I painted in the sky, the water, and trees in the three colors
    >> leaving the pilings and bird in the threshold version. I used the
    >> brush on Normal, so I reduced the Opacity of the color layers to get
    >> some of the detail back in.
    >>
    >> First version:
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-xmrr3nr/0/X3/2011-09-06-3-X3.jpg
    >>
    >> Second version with the sky not quite so dark:
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-8bCNXxx/0/X3/2011-09-06-4-X3.jpg
    >>
    >> I'm not excited about any of the results, but I now have more respect
    >> for people who do this sort of thing and make it come out interesting.
    >>
    >> Comments or your attempt welcome.

    >
    >Looks like a silkscreen print. I like that approach, it's a classic
    >technique and came out well.
    >
    >Here's my stab at the shot:
    >http://edgehill.net/1/temp/2011-09-06-1-XL-orange.jpg
    >-rather than explain, here's the psd with layers:
    >http://edgehill.net/1/temp/2011-09-06-1-XL-orange.psd


    I like your version. The color of the water, especially.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Sep 11, 2011
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?U29mdFNwb3Q=?=

    SQL Question Again - (hit enter and sent first attempt)

    =?Utf-8?B?U29mdFNwb3Q=?=, Sep 18, 2004, in forum: MCSD
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    583
    Tom Dacon
    Sep 18, 2004
  2. =?Utf-8?B?R3JhaGFt?=

    Got 70-292 on 4th attempt

    =?Utf-8?B?R3JhaGFt?=, Aug 15, 2005, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,434
    =?Utf-8?B?R3JhaGFt?=
    Sep 1, 2005
  3. =?Utf-8?B?QmVybmltMTA=?=

    Why do weblinks attempt to connect via dial-up if already connecte

    =?Utf-8?B?QmVybmltMTA=?=, Apr 15, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    555
    =?Utf-8?B?QmVybmltMTA=?=
    Apr 15, 2006
  4. paul s
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    381
    paul s
    Jul 27, 2003
  5. trout
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    434
    trout
    Jul 29, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page