    disappointed by the court's decision, saying it encouraged others to
    circumvent copyright controls.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/technology/3341211.stm
    Mutlley, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Mutlley

    Peter Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > The court upheld an earlier verdict that Jon Johansen, 20, had not
    > broken the law by creating a system that could get around copy
    > protection on DVDs.

    This guy writes some software to view a DVD that he lwafully purchased. How
    could that be illegal? Seems like a sensible decision by the court.

    > The ruling is a setback to anti-piracy efforts by the Hollywood
    > studios.

    ????
    What has this to do with piracy (assuming they mean copyright infringement)?
    If the guy has infringed copyright, then they should pursue legal action on
    that basis. If not, they should stop crying about "piracy".

    > The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) said it was
    > disappointed by the court's decision, saying it encouraged others to
    > circumvent copyright controls.

    MPAA appears to be saying that viewing the DVD you purchased somehow
    infringes copyright. Sounds crazy to me.

    Peter
    Peter, Dec 26, 2003

  3. Mutlley

    Warwick Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:55:27 +1300, Mutlley wrote:

    > FYI,
    >
    > he court upheld an earlier verdict that Jon Johansen, 20, had not
    > broken the law by creating a system that could get around copy
    > protection on DVDs.
    >
    > The ruling is a setback to anti-piracy efforts by the Hollywood
    > studios.
    >
    > The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) said it was
    > disappointed by the court's decision, saying it encouraged others to
    > circumvent copyright controls.
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/technology/3341211.stm

    Amusing, Hollywood (at god knows what cost) invent a data scrambling
    protection system and a 15 year old writes the crack for it!
    Speaks volumes about the programming expertise of the teenager, and lack of
    it on behalf of the MPRAA (or whoever comissioned the writing of it).

    cheers
    Warwick
    Warwick, Dec 26, 2003
  4. On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 23:43:39 +1300, Warwick wrote:

    > Amusing, Hollywood (at god knows what cost) invent a data scrambling
    > protection system and a 15 year old writes the crack for it!

    Well it was just a 40 bit system and he had some assistance - one of the
    makers whose keys are distributed on every DVD managed to include an
    non-encrypted key.

    DeCSS isn't used much these days. The keyspace is so small that
    bruteforcing it is surprisingly quick.

    > Speaks volumes about the programming expertise of the teenager, and lack of
    > it on behalf of the MPRAA (or whoever comissioned the writing of it).

    Security by obscurity is never a good idea.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 26, 2003