An app to record keystrokes and mouse movements

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DU, Oct 6, 2007.

  1. DU

    DU Guest

    I've just been experimenting with an app called Axife Mouse Recorder, which
    simplifies repetitive actions by recording your mouse movements and
    keystrokes. (Presumably these are saved as a macro?)

    It's pretty good and I've already got it working after a fashion, and doing
    pretty much what I wanted it to do, and it does save me a lot of time with
    repetitive tasks, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a similar app that
    is actually aware of the program it is in?

    Mouse Recorder only records the x-y mouse coordinates, but isn't actually
    aware of what program that it's in or that it's affecting.

    For example, if Mouse Recorder goes to a specific x-y location to carry out
    a left mouse button click in (say) Word, and I then close Word and open
    Firefox, when I run the macro, Mouse Recorder will left-click in the same
    x-y location in Firefox, which clearly won't do the required action, since
    Mouse Recorder is clicking in the right location, but in the wrong
    application.

    Ideally I'd like an app that records a specific x-y location in a specific
    app.
    Does anyone know of an app like that?
    DU, Oct 6, 2007

  2. DU

    Guest

    Hi,

    On Oct 6, 4:13 pm, "DU" <> wrote:
    > Ideally I'd like an app that records a specific x-y location in a specific
    > app.
    > Does anyone know of an app like that?

    Macro Scheduler allows you to code relative mouse coordinates using
    its MouseMoveRel command. This lets you specify coordinates relative
    to the active window. If you therefore focus the required window
    (using the SetFocus) command and then use MouseMoveRel you will be
    moving relative to the position of the window and window placement is
    not an issue.

    http://www.mjtnet.com/macro_scheduler.htm

    However, I always recommend to avoid using mouse events as much as
    possible. 99% of the time they are unnecessary as there is usually a
    keyboard equivalent. It is more reliable to automate an app using
    keyboard events rather than mouse events. Very rarely have I seen a
    case where the only option is to use the mouse.

    Furthermore Macro Scheduler includes see screen image recognition
    allowing the macro to find the position on the screen of an object
    graphically. So even if an object moves it can be found and clicked
    on if needed.

    Marcus Tettmar
    http://www.mjtnet.com/
    , Oct 8, 2007