An answer I don't agree with

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by lawilson, Apr 25, 2004.

  1. lawilson

    lawilson Guest

    I hope someone can help me out. I'm studying the Mike Meyers A+ Passport
    book (love it), and in Chapter 3 under Motherboards. Here is the question
    and choices:

    2. Which of the following motherboards are you most likely to see in modern
    PC's (select all that apply.)
    A. AT
    B. ATX
    C. Baby AT
    D. All of the above

    Basing my answer on the word "modern," I chose B by itself. The correct
    answer was B,C: Baby AT and ATX motherboards are still used in PC's today.
    The full AT motherboard has become obsolete.

    Now, I recognize that AT's still exist, and I don't question that. But
    hardly any "modern" manufacturers make the board, and in "modern" PC's that
    keep up with technology, ATX is the form factor used. I guess I just need
    clarification on the wording here. I don't have a problem being wrong, but
    I'd like to know the correct answer in case this comes up on the actual
    test. Thanks.

    lawilson
    lawilson, Apr 25, 2004

  2. lawilson

    sAxmAn Guest

    Well, basically you're right AT is history (as will be ATX soon). It's just
    that that the older full AT was 12 inches wide and would not fit into the
    newer mini tower cases. Hence the baby AT and that's why there are still
    more of them around. The full AT boards were 386 or earlier - prehistoric.
    See http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/mobo/formAT-c.html

    But I agree, it's not a 'modern' form factor. This is typical of many
    questions in the actual A+ - far from clear cut.

    sAxmAn, Apr 25, 2004

  3. On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 03:37:23 -0500, El_carteliano
    <> wrote:

    >YOU ARE SO RIGHT MAN!!!
    >i read the same book for my a+ exam and i saw the same question but i
    >just continued with the test of the book but i knew it was a mistake,
    >anyway there are others little mistakes if you see the a+ by mike
    >meyers fifth edition(the big one) there is another big mistake, on
    >page 20 it says : two nearly identical intel Pentium4 cpus (photo)-and
    >the photo belonged to two almost identical AMD processors, bahh, just
    >silly mistake because the books are so awesome and realistic towards
    >the real exam.

    Have you submitted this information to Totalsem, so that they could
    make an adjustment?

    One has to realize...if the question was asked in these terms, what
    dinosaurs were popular 175 million years ago?, including Triceratops
    and Allosaurus, we'd realize that there are millions of years in the
    difference. The overlap now is only months to years, and I am sure
    there are still many Baby AT boards out there. The numbers would be
    dwindling by now, but they are still out there.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Apr 25, 2004
  4. lawilson

    lawilson Guest

    Thanks for the replies. I will forward this to TotalSem, as I did another
    question in that book that said Parallel connections are 36 pin. Thanks.

    lawilson

    lawilson, Apr 25, 2004
  5. lawilson

    lawilson Guest

    > Have you submitted this information to Totalsem, so that they could
    > make an adjustment?

    I am submitting it. I just found their errata sheet on the website on this
    book, but it doesn't have this on it, so I don't know if they consider it an
    error or not. Thanks for the tip.

    lawilson

    lawilson, Apr 25, 2004
  6. lawilson

    Glen Guest

    I am taking Cisco's Hardware and Software course and am reading that L2
    Cache is on the Mobo. LOL I guess I'm supposed to put that as an answer if
    I get asked that one. Or maybe they just take out questions that are
    obviously wrong because of new technology. or maybe the most likely correct
    response will be its on the Mobo and wont even mention the CPU
    guess I'll find out on tuesdays quiz,
    Glen, Apr 26, 2004
  7. lawilson

    lawilson Guest

    I received this great reply from TotalSem:
    Good morning, lawilson,

    Clearly the question you noted didn't get updated between editions! You're
    absolutely correct that you won't see new baby AT motherboards out there
    anymore. You can find them, but not at most stores. You're more likely
    now-a-days to see ATX, uATX, and SFF boards (with cases) than you'd see
    anything smacking of AT.

    We can only assume that the A+ exam was updated to take modern PCs into
    account. On the real test, though, be careful of the wording of the
    question. If it's generically, "what are the most common motherboards you'll
    find in the field (select two)," then definitely include AT as part of your
    answer!

    Cheers,

    TotalSem

    "lawilson" <> wrote in message
    > > Might he have been referring to the 36 pin Centronics connection?

    > No, this was a clearly wrong answer. It's on the errata page on the

    Totalsem

    lawilson, Apr 26, 2004
  8. lawilson

    PJS Guest

    > On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 03:37:23 -0500, El_carteliano
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >YOU ARE SO RIGHT MAN!!!
    > >i read the same book for my a+ exam and i saw the same question but i
    > >just continued with the test of the book but i knew it was a mistake,
    > >anyway there are others little mistakes if you see the a+ by mike
    > >meyers fifth edition(the big one) there is another big mistake, on
    > >page 20 it says : two nearly identical intel Pentium4 cpus (photo)-and
    > >the photo belonged to two almost identical AMD processors, bahh, just
    > >silly mistake because the books are so awesome and realistic towards
    > >the real exam.
    > >

    > Have you submitted this information to Totalsem, so that they could
    > make an adjustment?
    >
    > One has to realize...if the question was asked in these terms, what
    > dinosaurs were popular 175 million years ago?, including Triceratops
    > and Allosaurus, we'd realize that there are millions of years in the
    > difference. The overlap now is only months to years, and I am sure
    > there are still many Baby AT boards out there. The numbers would be
    > dwindling by now, but they are still out there.
    >
    > Tom

    Or even better. Did you check the errata page at their web site to make sure
    it wasn't already listed?

    I really love the fact that they do post errata for when the inevitable
    error makes it into the book. Before going through their book, I printed out
    the errata and updated my book.

    Pete
    PJS, Apr 28, 2004