    want to turn it off or anything..,

    Any ideas?

    Carmen

    Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell, Jan 15, 2010

  2. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    Jerry Guest

    More help can be found in the Win7 forum:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro there is
    no Win7 newsgroup.

    Jerry, Jan 15, 2010

  3. I'm not sure I understand. You (left) click on a (running?) program in the
    task bar. OK. On my Win7 machines, that causes one of several possible
    things to happen:

    1.) If there are multiple versions of the program running, it pops up a list
    of the open windows for them, and leaves them open until I either click on
    one of them to bring it to the top of my screen, or I click on anything else
    going on to change the focus away from the taskbar.
    2.) If there's only one version running, it brings that program to the top
    (front) of my screen and gives it the focus. If it already IS on top and has
    the focus, it minimizes it. This has been the behaviour of the taskbar since
    at least Windows 2000.
    3.) If there are no versions of the program running, it launches the
    program. This is the behaviour of the old launch bar.

    If I want to do something different with the program on the task bar, such
    as launch another one or launch a version "As Administrator", I right click
    on it, and the right click menu provides additional choices depending on
    what is available for the specific program. (For example, Live Messenger
    lets me change my status that way, and Word offers me a list of recent
    documents to open.)

    The Aero stuff simply adds some additional features for when you mouse over,
    without clicking, one of the items on the task bar that is running.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 15, 2010
  4. Apologies, Chris. I meant right click.

    Does that help?

    C.

    Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell, Jan 16, 2010
  5. I'm Charlie, not Chris. And I still don't see the problem. If you right
    click on something on the task bar, again, you get a pop up menu. That menu
    stays up until you do something that changes the focus. The menu varies
    depending on what the program is -- for Live Messenger, I have options to
    change my status, send a message, sign out, etc. For Word, I have a list of
    recent documents I can open. And in all cases I have options to close all
    open windows or start a new instance of the program.

    The only time a popup window from the taskbar doesn't "stick" open is when
    it's a mouseover, as opposed to click, that brought it up. Those Aero
    windows are transient. As they need to be. It would be far more annoying if
    they stuck around every time your mouse just happened to pass over the task
    bar.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 16, 2010
  6. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    James Kosin Guest

    On 1/16/2010 10:24 AM, Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    > I'm Charlie, not Chris. And I still don't see the problem. If you right
    > click on something on the task bar, again, you get a pop up menu. That
    > menu stays up until you do something that changes the focus. The menu
    > varies depending on what the program is -- for Live Messenger, I have
    > options to change my status, send a message, sign out, etc. For Word, I
    > have a list of recent documents I can open. And in all cases I have
    > options to close all open windows or start a new instance of the program.
    >
    > The only time a popup window from the taskbar doesn't "stick" open is
    > when it's a mouseover, as opposed to click, that brought it up. Those
    > Aero windows are transient. As they need to be. It would be far more
    > annoying if they stuck around every time your mouse just happened to
    > pass over the task bar.

    Maybe if he told us which program he had in the task bar.

    I'm experiencing the same effects as you are with everything working as
    it should.

    James

    James Kosin, Jan 16, 2010
  7. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    Carlos Guest

    James,
    Carmen would rather be a "she" than a "he".
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 16, 2010
  8. Hey Charlie... that is exactly the problem: it's acting like a mouseover
    when what I actually did was click it. So I click, and then go to do what I
    want to do, and the window immediately disappears. By the way, this only
    happens in one profile on my laptop, not the other. And I can't seem to
    figure out why.

    C.

    Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell, Jan 17, 2010
  9. Thanks for that Carlos, although if all you guys can help me figure out
    what's going on, I'll gladly take whatever gender you want to assign to me!
    :)

    C.

    Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell, Jan 17, 2010
  10. I notice that you are posting what appears to be your valid private
    email address on a public usenet group, if you keep that up you will
    have other annoying things.

    John

    John John - MVP, Jan 17, 2010