An all-in-one lense for the digital rebel

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Toomanyputters, Dec 17, 2004.

  1. Any recommendations? Possibly up to 300mm.
    Toomanyputters, Dec 17, 2004

  2. Toomanyputters

    Wright Guest

    On 12/17/04 3:51 PM, in article
    VxIwd.834$, "Toomanyputters"
    <> wrote:

    > Any recommendations? Possibly up to 300mm.

    First there is no true all in one lens. But, since you did not specify cost
    or weight as a limitation, the closest recommendation that I could come up
    with is Canon's EF 28-300 L IS USM. That would meet your 300 mm
    specification, plus it would give you some wide angle capability. Of course
    it would cost twice your dRebel.
    Wright, Dec 18, 2004

  3. "Wright" <nojunk_wright9@nojunk_mac.com> wrote in message
    > On 12/17/04 3:51 PM, in article
    > VxIwd.834$, "Toomanyputters"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Any recommendations? Possibly up to 300mm.
    >>

    > First there is no true all in one lens. But, since you did not specify
    > cost
    > or weight as a limitation, the closest recommendation that I could come up
    > with is Canon's EF 28-300 L IS USM. That would meet your 300 mm
    > specification, plus it would give you some wide angle capability. Of
    > course
    > it would cost twice your dRebel.

    Doesn't all in one mean you can carry it without an assistant and perhaps
    pay for it without a second mortgage? Laughing, not being critical.
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04012901canon28300is.asp

    It is no doubt a wonderful lens, but too much (in many respects) for most of
    us.
    Charles Schuler, Dec 18, 2004
  4. Toomanyputters

    JohnR Guest

    To retain wide angle capabilities, you need to go out to 18 - 20mm. Nothing
    with do that and go to 300mm. The prosumer 10x camera is what you need.

    You may have bought the Rebel for the better image quality though.
    Interchangeable lens cameras are available for that purpose. Why not get a
    couple lenses. I carry 3. The 18-55, 80-200 and 50mm.
    John

    JohnR, Dec 18, 2004
  5. Toomanyputters

    Guest

    I agree that no one lens will go to 300mm well in a zoom without the
    cost of the L lens already mentioned or the 100-400mm L lens. I think
    at least two lens are required and if wide angle is important the
    18-55mm would be a good choice along with a longer lens like the
    70-200mm f4 l. If wide angle isn't important then the 28-135mm IS lens
    would be a good choice. The 70-200mm f4 L is a bargin with it's great
    optics and price.

    Quite frankly, cost is always a factor but from experience I can tell
    that you should buy lens slowly and buy the best you can afford. Build
    a lens kit for the future that will give you excellent images and allow
    you to move up camera body wish as you get more money and technology
    improves.

    I say this because when I started with my first EOS sytem I bought lens
    for my lens kit that disappointed me and I constantly ended up selling
    lens and buying new ones until I ended up with lens I was satisfied
    with.

    The 28-135mm IS lens is excellent in terms of image quality and has IS.
    It doesn't cost the price of an L lens but gives excellent performance.
    It is equivalent to 46-212mm on the rebel. I have L lens and this lens
    and the images match up nicely. This is a great all around lens and
    would be used most of the time.

    Art
    , Dec 18, 2004
  6. Toomanyputters

    paul Guest

    wrote:

    > I agree that no one lens will go to 300mm well in a zoom without the
    > cost of the L lens already mentioned or the 100-400mm L lens. I think
    > at least two lens are required and if wide angle is important the
    > 18-55mm would be a good choice along with a longer lens like the
    > 70-200mm f4 l. If wide angle isn't important then the 28-135mm IS lens
    > would be a good choice. The 70-200mm f4 L is a bargin with it's great
    > optics and price.
    >
    > Quite frankly, cost is always a factor but from experience I can tell
    > that you should buy lens slowly and buy the best you can afford. Build
    > a lens kit for the future that will give you excellent images and allow
    > you to move up camera body wish as you get more money and technology
    > improves.
    >
    > I say this because when I started with my first EOS sytem I bought lens
    > for my lens kit that disappointed me and I constantly ended up selling
    > lens and buying new ones until I ended up with lens I was satisfied
    > with.
    >
    > The 28-135mm IS lens is excellent in terms of image quality and has IS.
    > It doesn't cost the price of an L lens but gives excellent performance.
    > It is equivalent to 46-212mm on the rebel. I have L lens and this lens
    > and the images match up nicely. This is a great all around lens and
    > would be used most of the time.

    I got a 28-300 for my Nikon & am disappointed with the fuzziness. I read
    the advice to get a wide angle zoom & a 200ish tele zoom & skip the
    middle bit. Also I wish I'd got an anti-shake type lense. Also I miss
    being able to do macros. Tough choices compared to P&S!
    paul, Dec 18, 2004
  7. Toomanyputters

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:42:17 -0800, in rec.photo.digital paul
    <> wrote:

    >I got a 28-300 for my Nikon & am disappointed with the fuzziness. I read
    >the advice to get a wide angle zoom & a 200ish tele zoom & skip the
    >middle bit. Also I wish I'd got an anti-shake type lense. Also I miss
    >being able to do macros. Tough choices compared to P&S!

    Other than wide and macro the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR is a superb lens. Not
    inexpensive though.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Dec 18, 2004
  8. In article <VxIwd.834$>,
    Toomanyputters <> wrote:
    >Any recommendations? Possibly up to 300mm.

    Check out some of the reports on http://www.exc.com/photography ,
    but basically you'll find that if you want something that long, you
    have three options:

    1. 75-300 IS - this is your best bet, but especially on the digital
    Rebel, it doesn't come close to 50mm ("normal" perspective), and
    certainly doesn't give you wide angle.

    2. A 28-200 or even 28-300 lens, such as Tamron's. These are fine
    for snapshots, but you'll never get a really sharp picture.

    3. Canon's "L" super-zoom. You probably can't afford it.

    -Joel

    Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography
    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Dec 19, 2004
  9. Toomanyputters

    Fyimo Guest

    Canon's 70-200mm f4 L will work great and at $750 is a steal. It's the
    best price verses performance ratio in Canon's line up.

    Art
    Fyimo, Jan 5, 2005
  10. Toomanyputters

    mortn Guest

    Fyimo wrote:
    > Canon's 70-200mm f4 L will work great and at $750 is a steal. It's the
    > best price verses performance ratio in Canon's line up.
    >
    > Art

    Price is $579 at OneCall.com
    mortn, Jan 5, 2005