    Personal but the box still pops up. Any ideas?
    --
    Denise
    Denise, Sep 26, 2008

  2. 1.) Rebuild the box from the ground up. I don't pay attention to the latest
    malware, but clearly this is in that category. IMHO, once malware has gotten
    installed on a system, it's impossible to be certain that you've actually
    removed it all. The only sure way is to start from bare metal again.

    2.) Learn from this. Don't download and use quick fix "solutions" that you
    get offered. I would no more use a regcleaner than some "drivergenius"
    software that is somehow going to make my life easier.

    3.) The absolute best place for dealing with malware infections and getting
    help is the microsoft.public.security.homeusers newsgroup. There are some
    extremely knowledgeable people who hang out there, and they've seen it all.
    If your system can be recovered without starting over, they'll be in the
    best position to tell you.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 26, 2008

  3. Denise

    Drew Guest

    Start/Run msconfig. Check the Startup tab for suspicious entries and remove
    them. May or may not work.

    Drew

    Drew, Sep 26, 2008
  4. Denise

    Denise Guest

    Thanks for telling me about microsoft.public.security.homeusers. I'm going
    to run a rootkit before I go there . . . it might find something. All of
    the other programs that I have for spyware/adware/malware found nothing.
    It's not listed in msconfig or regedit.
    --
    Denise

    Denise, Sep 26, 2008
  5. Denise

    Denise Guest

    Hi,

    I went into Safe Mode with Networking and ran F-Secure for malware and
    rootkits. It found 3 viruses linked with DriverGenius, not only in the
    installed program but in the uninstalled program as well. It deleted them
    and when I rebooted, the DriverGenius advertisement didn't appear.

    Just wanted to let you know of the outcome and maybe this will help someone
    else as well.

    Thanks again for your input.
    --
    Denise

    Denise, Sep 26, 2008
  6. Denise

    Denise Guest

    At first, when I rebooted, the advertising window didn't pop up but, after a
    while, it came back and I started to have problems with my graphics and Find.
    I then did a Windows Repair and the advertising window came back again,
    along with the graphics problem and the Find problem. I'll be going to
    microsoft.public.security.homeusers to see if I can find the fix there. If
    not, I'll have to do a format.
    --
    Denise

    Denise, Sep 27, 2008
  7. Denise

    philo Guest

    > 1.) Rebuild the box from the ground up. I don't pay attention to the

    latest
    > malware, but clearly this is in that category. IMHO, once malware has

    gotten
    > installed on a system, it's impossible to be certain that you've actually
    > removed it all. The only sure way is to start from bare metal again.
    >
    > 2.) Learn from this. Don't download and use quick fix "solutions" that you
    > get offered. I would no more use a regcleaner than some "drivergenius"
    > software that is somehow going to make my life easier.
    >
    > 3.) The absolute best place for dealing with malware infections and

    getting
    > help is the microsoft.public.security.homeusers newsgroup. There are some
    > extremely knowledgeable people who hang out there, and they've seen it

    all.
    > If your system can be recovered without starting over, they'll be in the
    > best position to tell you.

    A complete reinstall is a bit drastic...but may very well be necessary.

    First thing to do is backup all data...
    then run a full virus scan with a recently updated virus checker.

    Beleive it or not I have 100% cleared a number of "infections" by doing a
    full scan with the free virus checker Avast.

    The owners of the machines have had no further problems...
    so I'd at least give it a try.

    If a virus scan does not do the trick
    and if you can find no solutions for your exact form of malware...
    indeed, a fresh install my be the surest (and fastest) way to take care of
    the problem

    philo, Sep 27, 2008
  8. Denise

    Jack Guest

    Denise,

    A neighbor had a similar problem due to his Grandkids messing around
    and he couldn't find any way to eliminate the ad.

    We did everything we could think of and finally ran Spyware Terminator.
    Normally I wouldn't recommend something like this since it might sound
    like an advertisement but I've used it on my Vista Ultimate 64x and it
    eliminated a RunDLL pop-up I couldn't get rid of.

    It stopped the pop-up ad in my neighbors computer.. His Grandkids are
    banned from using his computer.. :) Spywareterminator is Free..

    http://www.spywareterminator.com/

    Jack, Sep 30, 2008