An ADSL Tale.....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XPD, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "rural" <> wrote in message
    > I called Telecom and asked for Jetstart to be enabled.
    >
    > They came around.....and enabled it.
    >
    > I called an ISP and asked for their Jetstart service - lots of GBs.
    >
    > I'm sitting here.....using it......and I'm seeing 180KB/second......not
    > the 13-15KB / second I would see with Jetstart.
    >
    > I called my ISP.....explained I appeared to be set up for Jetstream when
    > the only word that ever left my mouth - dozens of times - was "Jetstart".
    >
    > My ISP said: "You're defined by us as a Jetstart account....and that's
    > all we will bill you for......"
    >
    > A moral dilemma.....

    And Telecom WILL charge you for Jetstream rates no matter what your ISP is
    charging you at.
    If youve only just been enabled for DSL, sometimes it takes upto 24hrs for
    the limiting to kick in correctly..... IIRC they update the rate limiting at
    midnight....

    So if you find youve still got full rate after 48hrs, ring Telecom Sales and
    ask them what connection youre on and see what they say...
    XPD, Mar 3, 2004

  2. rural wrote:
    > I called Telecom and asked for Jetstart to be enabled.
    > A moral dilemma.....

    Where is the dilemma?
    Telecom screwed up... the ISP pays for the screw up... I would say that
    it simply is "not your problem"

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Mar 3, 2004

  3. Matthew Poole wrote:
    >>Where is the dilemma?
    >>Telecom screwed up... the ISP pays for the screw up... I would say that
    >>it simply is "not your problem"

    > No, the ISP doesn't. The user does. Charges for excess MB don't get
    > sent to the ISP.
    > It's not a moral dilemma, only a financial one.

    Telecom screwed up... they'll correct it when he complains about the
    huge bill.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Mar 3, 2004
  4. XPD

    Allistar Guest

    rural wrote:

    > I called Telecom and asked for Jetstart to be enabled.
    >
    > They came around.....and enabled it.
    >
    > I called an ISP and asked for their Jetstart service - lots of GBs.
    >
    > I'm sitting here.....using it......and I'm seeing 180KB/second......not
    > the 13-15KB / second I would see with Jetstart.
    >
    > I called my ISP.....explained I appeared to be set up for Jetstream when
    > the only word that ever left my mouth - dozens of times - was "Jetstart".
    >
    > My ISP said: "You're defined by us as a Jetstart account....and that's
    > all we will bill you for......"
    >
    > A moral dilemma.....

    I have had JetStart for a couple of years and that has happened to me twice,
    and lastest for about a week each. A nice side effect as well is that not
    one byte of traffic I used was counted (according the the Paradise.net
    usage web page).

    All I can suggest is: take full advantage of it. Just make sure you don't go
    over the 10Gb (or whatever) cap. They can't legally charge you for traffic
    over the Jetstream cap (500Mb?) but they can for over the 10Gb (or
    whatever) JetStart cap.

    I downloaded a Knoppix iso (at just over 700Mb) in not much more than 30
    minutes.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Mar 3, 2004
  5. In article <VSe1c.467$>, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    >rural wrote:
    >> I called Telecom and asked for Jetstart to be enabled.
    >> A moral dilemma.....

    >Where is the dilemma?
    >Telecom screwed up... the ISP pays for the screw up... I would say that
    >it simply is "not your problem"

    No, the ISP doesn't. The user does. Charges for excess MB don't get
    sent to the ISP.
    It's not a moral dilemma, only a financial one.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
    Matthew Poole, Mar 3, 2004
  6. XPD

    scuuby Guest

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:06:32 +0100,
    rural <> wrote:

    > A moral dilemma.....

    dilema my arse

    cream the pricks for all they're
    worth while you can...

    scoobs

    --
    =================================

    remove nospam4 from return email to reply
    =================================
    scuuby, Mar 3, 2004
  7. XPD

    Mark Guest

    I have had it before as well, I joined up and was getting 100k per second
    downloads on Jetstart :)
    All, I can say is enjoy it while it lasts!!
    Mark

    Mark, Mar 3, 2004
  8. On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:38:46 +0100, rural wrote:

    > I'll check....and make sure I stay well under 500MB in the
    > meantime....as I would have no idea what plan they think I'm on.

    There was a trick used by some people a couple of years back which got
    full speed on jetstart billing:

    Signup for jetstream with telecom. Setup ISP account.

    Sometime later, switch to jetstart with Telecom, leave ISP account as-is.

    End result would be jetstream speeds at jetstart pricing and caps.

    rural, Mar 3, 2004
  10. XPD

    rural Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > And Telecom WILL charge you for Jetstream rates no matter what your ISP is
    > charging you at.

    That is my main concern....yes.

    > If youve only just been enabled for DSL, sometimes it takes upto 24hrs for
    > the limiting to kick in correctly..... IIRC they update the rate limiting at
    > midnight....

    They enabled it yesterday (Tuesday) about 4pm.

    > So if you find youve still got full rate after 48hrs, ring Telecom Sales and
    > ask them what connection youre on and see what they say...

    I'll check....and make sure I stay well under 500MB in the
    meantime....as I would have no idea what plan they think I'm on.

    Thanks.
    rural, Mar 3, 2004
  11. XPD

    Dogg Guest

    wrote:

    >I called Telecom and asked for Jetstart to be enabled.

    It's been called "Jetstream Home" for a while now.
    Dogg, Mar 3, 2004
  12. Dogg wrote:
    >>I called Telecom and asked for Jetstart to be enabled.

    > It's been called "Jetstream Home" for a while now.

    yeah but they(the CSR's) dont get it.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz