An actual real question

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by |{evin, Oct 8, 2003.

  1. |{evin

    |{evin Guest

    Ok fellow MCSE's, MCNGP's, and MCSE wannabees... I have a
    small problem (well, it's not really small... but nevermind). I'm 3
    weeks away from wrapping up a Win2K migration of about 300 servers and
    a few thousand workstations... a little over a year and this has to
    pop up NOW.

    The clients (at remote offices), use an application that runs
    in Metaframe and generates Excel reports. These reports are printed to
    printers at the remote offices. Printers are set auto-created in
    Metaframe, so pressing print sends the document back to the
    workstation, then out to a network queue on the local server, which is
    set up to print via a TCP/IP port. This was all fine and dandy.

    Then came Windows 2000.

    1 and 2 page reports that used to create spool files of a few
    hundred K are now spooling up to 2-3 Meg. Larger reports grow
    exponentially it seems... a 24 page Excel document spooled up to 30
    Meg. This is teh sux0r. Imagine copying a 30 Meg file over a 256K
    line. Not cool.

    One of the things we found to ease the problem was replacing
    the Win2K print driver with a Version 2 driver (NT4 + Win2K), this
    brought the spooled file size back down in testing... but in REAL
    life... the workstations already have the 2K driver in place. Soooo,
    we have to completely remove all traces of the driver, then re-create
    the printer on the client. So far.. so good.

    Say we're using an HP 4000, we delete and re-create the
    printer on the client and all is well... what happens when they
    connect to another HP 4000 on another server somewhere... poof.. they
    pull down the 2K driver and begin using it on ALL HP 4000's they have
    set up. Due to printing issues with other applications, I can't switch
    out every single printer driver and use the blended driver. (besides..
    we'd be talking about 300-odd servers with 5-15 print queues each and
    thousands of clients).

    So... my question is.. how the hell do I fix this mess? Does
    anyone know why the switch to 2K has caused the spooled file size to
    go through the roof? Laura?? Didn't you help design this mess? Anyone?
    Helloooooo?

    |{evin, Oct 8, 2003

  2. You don't have to mess with the print driver on the Windows Citrix client.
    You can "map" the server to use a different driver for the autocreated
    Citrix printer for that client print driver. Assuming this is Metaframe XP
    we are talking about (if it's 1.8 let me know, I'll give you different
    instructions), open the Citrix Management Console for the Citrix Farm, goto
    Printer Management, right-click on Drivers, and select Mapping. This tool
    will allow you to force the Citrix server to use a different driver than
    what the client is using. I have a lot of clients that use HP 2100/2200/2300
    printers, but autocreated Citrix printers that point to those client
    printers use the HP 4 print driver on the server because it is the most
    stable print driver for HP LaserJet printers in a Terminal Server
    environment. Make sure your spelling of the client print driver is specific.
    It needs to exactly match the spelling of the driver of the client. In fact
    the same driver could be spelled differently on Win 9X and 2000 platforms
    and thus you have to add both spellings individually. Mapping print drivers
    allows clients to use whatever print driver they want, while you control the
    print driver on the Citrix servers.

    Hope that helps.

    --
    Politician Spock
    MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15

    Politician Spock, Oct 8, 2003

  3. |{evin

    |{evin Guest

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 14:25:54 -0400, "Politician Spock"
    <> wrote:

    >You don't have to mess with the print driver on the Windows Citrix client.
    >You can "map" the server to use a different driver for the autocreated
    >Citrix printer for that client print driver. Assuming this is Metaframe XP
    >we are talking about (if it's 1.8 let me know, I'll give you different
    >instructions), open the Citrix Management Console for the Citrix Farm, goto
    >Printer Management, right-click on Drivers, and select Mapping. This tool
    >will allow you to force the Citrix server to use a different driver than
    >what the client is using. I have a lot of clients that use HP 2100/2200/2300
    >printers, but autocreated Citrix printers that point to those client
    >printers use the HP 4 print driver on the server because it is the most
    >stable print driver for HP LaserJet printers in a Terminal Server
    >environment. Make sure your spelling of the client print driver is specific.
    >It needs to exactly match the spelling of the driver of the client. In fact
    >the same driver could be spelled differently on Win 9X and 2000 platforms
    >and thus you have to add both spellings individually. Mapping print drivers
    >allows clients to use whatever print driver they want, while you control the
    >print driver on the Citrix servers.
    >
    >Hope that helps.

    We're using 1.8, is this mapping still a possibility? Maybe this would
    be a good excuse to upgrade metaframe. :)

    |{evin, Oct 8, 2003
  4. For 1.8 you are going to have to edit a file on each Metaframe server. The
    tool in Metaframe XP just does this for you, which makes it much easier to
    implement and maintain.

    On one of the Metaframe servers, find the file WTSUPRN.TXT. It is a sample
    mapping file with instruction on how to setup print driver mappings. Edit it
    to your preferred mappings. Rename the edited file to WTSUPRN.INF and place
    it in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. Copy this file to all the Metaframe
    servers. When a user attempts to autocreate a printer, the system will check
    this file first for a custom mapping. If none exists it will use the same
    driver as the client. If you ever want to change a mapping, you have to
    change the file on every Metaframe server for it to be a global change.
    That's why it's such a nice feature of XP to only have to change it in one
    place.

    Politician Spock, Oct 8, 2003
  5. |{evin

    Brianz Guest

    It's nice to find someone helpful here even if i haven't got clue what he's
    going on about!! Good job we haven't got citrix.
    --
    Brian
    MCP, MCSA, MCSE

    "Politician Spock" <> wrote in message
    > For 1.8 you are going to have to edit a file on each Metaframe server. The
    > tool in Metaframe XP just does this for you, which makes it much easier to
    > implement and maintain.
    >
    > On one of the Metaframe servers, find the file WTSUPRN.TXT. It is a sample
    > mapping file with instruction on how to setup print driver mappings. Edit

    it
    > to your preferred mappings. Rename the edited file to WTSUPRN.INF and

    place
    > it in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. Copy this file to all the

    Metaframe
    > servers. When a user attempts to autocreate a printer, the system will

    check
    > this file first for a custom mapping. If none exists it will use the same
    > driver as the client. If you ever want to change a mapping, you have to
    > change the file on every Metaframe server for it to be a global change.
    > That's why it's such a nice feature of XP to only have to change it in one
    > place.
    >
    > --
    > Politician Spock
    > MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15
    > The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

    rights.

    Brianz, Oct 8, 2003
  6. |{evin

    Consultant Guest

    man, i really hated that about 1.8, ugh

    Consultant, Oct 8, 2003
  7. |{evin

    |{evin Guest

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 16:37:37 -0400, "Politician Spock"
    <> wrote:

    >For 1.8 you are going to have to edit a file on each Metaframe server. The
    >tool in Metaframe XP just does this for you, which makes it much easier to
    >implement and maintain.
    >
    >On one of the Metaframe servers, find the file WTSUPRN.TXT. It is a sample
    >mapping file with instruction on how to setup print driver mappings. Edit it
    >to your preferred mappings. Rename the edited file to WTSUPRN.INF and place
    >it in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. Copy this file to all the Metaframe
    >servers. When a user attempts to autocreate a printer, the system will check
    >this file first for a custom mapping. If none exists it will use the same
    >driver as the client. If you ever want to change a mapping, you have to
    >change the file on every Metaframe server for it to be a global change.
    >That's why it's such a nice feature of XP to only have to change it in one
    >place.

    I'm glad I went back and checked.. apparently we've moved to Metaframe
    XP. I've been so wrapped up in migrations at the remote facilities
    something slipped in right under my nose.

    But sadly, this got shot down. We can map printers to different
    drivers but we can't map the VERSION. They're already mapping loads of
    stuff for special healthcare applications (at the hospitals some of
    the physical printers will have 4 or 5 queues created using different
    drivers depending on which application is being used). So say we set
    it up (an HP 4000, 4050, LJ4, whatever) with the NT4/2K driver... if a
    pure 2K driver exists on the server it will use that instead... same
    problem we had with the clients.

    Is there any way to map not only the driver, but the version as well?
    Or is there some other completely different solution? Why does the
    pure 2K driver create multi-meg spool files while the blended driver
    keeps them under a meg?

    ARGH!

    |{evin, Oct 9, 2003
  8. |{evin

    |{evin Guest

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 21:45:43 +0100, "Brianz" <>
    wrote:

    >It's nice to find someone helpful here even if i haven't got clue what he's
    >going on about!! Good job we haven't got citrix.

    That's what people who complain about MCNGP don't realize.. we're only
    mean to people who want to be MCSE's but can't figure out how to
    google or find Microsoft's website. If you ask a for real question,
    there's plenty of sharp helpful people lurking about. :)

    |{evin, Oct 9, 2003
  9. The solution you need is something more granular than using the basic
    features of Citrix. I bet it can be done, but I don't have the solution for
    you. I suggest posting the issue to Citrix's forums:
    http://support.citrix.com/forums/index.jspa

    There is a guy on there who answers a lot of printing issue questions who
    has a website for Citrix printing issues: http://www.printingsupport.com/

    If he can't solve your problem, no one can.

    Politician Spock, Oct 9, 2003
  10. You will eventually need to learn how it works, if not Citrix specifically,
    than Window's terminal services in general. The two biggest reasons
    companies stay away from Citrix/terminal services is cost and complexity
    (especially the complexity of printing through a terminal session). However,
    the technology allows IS departments to provide the services the users
    (usually managers) are demanding. As such Citrix is used in one way or
    another in virtually every Fortune 500 company. Now that the terminal server
    features in Windows 2003 are nearly on par with the add on features Citrix
    has been providing, the cost of implementing a solution is not as great, but
    if you can't handle the complexity of the solution, your company will find
    someone else that can, because the users are demanding to stay connected
    away from their offices.

    Politician Spock, Oct 9, 2003