An Activation tale

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by RoseW, Nov 12, 2009.

  1. RoseW

    RoseW Guest

    Thought I'd share my morning 'activation' experience with the second
    machine's Win7
    Both machines had the install done at the local computer shop. The
    second machine received Home Premium and its an older machine but
    capable of Win 7 64bit with 4G of ram. Nothing of importance on it so
    somehow it got a totally clean install...NO remnant of the old Xp.
    Yesterday I got round to hooking it up and establishing a homegroup. The
    Activation button showed up.
    Activation would not complete...error due to upgrade status.
    I tried using an elevated command prompt C:\Windows\System32>slmgr -ipk
    xxxxx product number followed by C:\Windows\Systme32\slmgr -ato and the
    command screen produced the error 'activation server determined that the
    specified product key is blocked'
    I thought I was going to have to reinstall from scratch....or the guy I
    paid was going to have redo from scratch.

    This morning called Microsoft Help and Support 800 number.
    Its best to call straight through to the Activation Number
    1.888.725.1047( for me in Canada)
    Initially,at the general help and support I thought I had someone from
    the French speaking part of Canada but when she spelled out items and
    used India for the letter I my brain lightbulb went on <grin> and she
    transferred me to Activation because I came to the end of what her
    script held.

    OMAR at Activation was very good. He actually took over the computer
    after instructing me to download and run (msdt) EasyAccess. I was given
    a password and then instructed to enter the product code. INSTANT
    activation. There was no reprimand for having had a 'clean install'.

    Given the dialogue accent those support centres should just make use of
    the EasyAccess and forget about verbal instructions. As long as the
    speaking is done slowly its possible to distinquish the 's' sounds but
    there is obvious 'reading from a script' and who knows what is being
    relayed but I gather the monoloque was to explain about the e-mail I
    received immediately following that gives me another direct access to
    the help-no phone call-and that EasyAccess would be put into use.

    First time ever that I have called Microsoft support services since
    Windows 95 and no waiting around, likely a good time of day 9 a.m. for
    me and likely 5 or 6 p.m at the other end.

    Then I discovered
    The Homegroup routine is sure a massive improvement for networking machines!
    Rose

    RoseW, Nov 12, 2009

  2. RoseW

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    The use of "I as in India" is technically correct as it is part of the
    widely used military alphabet, you know, the Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta,
    Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel, India, Lima and so on.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Nov 12, 2009

  3. RoseW

    RoseW Guest

    I didn't know the words used after A,B,C,D,E...now I do <grin>
    so its possible I was speaking to someone in a location unknown but it
    wasn't 'easy' to understand the vowels and letters with a high pitch
    sound. OMAR certainly isn't a common Canadian first name <grin>
    Rose

    On 2009-11-12 4:49 PM, Carlos wrote:
    > Hi,
    > The use of "I as in India" is technically correct as it is part of the
    > widely used military alphabet, you know, the Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta,
    > Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel, India, Lima and so on.
    > :)
    > Carlos
    >
    > "RoseW" wrote:
    >
    >> Thought I'd share my morning 'activation' experience with the second
    >> machine's Win7

    <snip>

    RoseW, Nov 12, 2009
  4. Here's a link to a Wikipedia page with a pronunciation chart:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet

    Bobby Johnson, Nov 12, 2009
  5. See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_alphabet

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP

    Richard Urban, Nov 12, 2009
  6. RoseW

    Carlos Guest

    I'm quite sure Omar (Oscar Mike Alpha Romeo) was alien.
    Omar is more arabic than indian ("sheik" Omar?) but that is as far as I can
    get.
    Carlos (from Argentina)

    Carlos, Nov 12, 2009
  7. RoseW

    Dave Warren Guest

    http://www.thedave.ca/randomjibberish/phonetic-alphabet-for-dummies/ has
    a good collection if you're ever on a call with an outsourced callcenter
    and they're having trouble understanding you.

    Dave Warren, Nov 13, 2009
  8. RoseW

    o''deurves Guest

    My bank's call centre staff often introduce themselves in south asian accents
    but with faintly antique and decidely non-Indian/Pakistani names like
    'Rosemary' or 'Terence'.So maybe 'OMAR' too has an impossibly difficult name.

    I suppose it makes life easier but it makes for a somewhat bizarre
    conversation that is, for me, uncomfortably anglo-centric.

    o''deurves, Nov 22, 2009