    Today, about 10 minutes after that, it happened again. It isn't awful, but now
    I am curious about what is happening. So... what is happening?
    Chuck

    Gualtier Malde, Sep 7, 2007

  2. Gualtier Malde wrote:
    > Hi -
    >
    > I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 in Windows 2000. I have my mail controls set not
    > to retrieve messages automatically.
    >
    > So I open TB and get messages and do a bunch of other things, and about 10
    > minutes afterward, regardless what I am doing, I will hear the "mail download"
    > sound and a small envelope shows up on the status bar. If I put the cursor over
    > it the message is "New mail in local folders". Now it has become routine to go
    > to Local Folders and click on the (empty) Inbox. That removes the little
    > envelope. I looked around and didn't see anything I could adjust to affect that
    > ritual.
    >
    > Today, about 10 minutes after that, it happened again. It isn't awful, but now
    > I am curious about what is happening. So... what is happening?
    > Chuck

    if you click on Get Messages [or get mail] does any mail
    download? If so, then its doing exactly what its supposed
    to do. Its telling you there are messages on the server.
    The 10 minutes is what you have TB set to look at or
    download new messages at interval

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Sep 7, 2007

  3. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Gualtier Malde wrote:
    >> Hi -
    >>
    >> I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 in Windows 2000. I have my mail
    >> controls set not to retrieve messages automatically.
    >>
    >> So I open TB and get messages and do a bunch of other things, and
    >> about 10 minutes afterward, regardless what I am doing, I will hear
    >> the "mail download" sound and a small envelope shows up on the status
    >> bar. If I put the cursor over it the message is "New mail in local
    >> folders". Now it has become routine to go to Local Folders and click
    >> on the (empty) Inbox. That removes the little envelope. I looked
    >> around and didn't see anything I could adjust to affect that ritual.
    >>
    >> Today, about 10 minutes after that, it happened again. It isn't
    >> awful, but now I am curious about what is happening. So... what is
    >> happening?
    >> Chuck

    > if you click on Get Messages [or get mail] does any mail download? If
    > so, then its doing exactly what its supposed to do. Its telling you
    > there are messages on the server. The 10 minutes is what you have TB set
    > to look at or download new messages at interval

    Thanks for replying, but Nope: My server settings for both POP accounts (mine
    and my wife's) are unchecked for all the message retrieval boxes. I do have
    mine checked not to delete messages from server for 2 days but that shouldn't
    apply here.

    When I click "Get Mail" in either account the new messages download into the
    Inbox of the account. The only time I have had anything to do with "Local
    Folders" is when dealing with newsgroups (Draft, Sent, Trash, Unsent...). And
    there are no messages in the "Local Folders > Inbox" when the little icon shows
    up and the little sun icon is on the "Local Folders" icon. It may be 10
    minutes- I haven't timed it accurately - and certainly that is the default
    message check schedule, but it should not be operating unless there is some
    place besides "Account Settings" I haven't checked.

    Gualtier Malde, Sep 7, 2007
  4. On 2007-09-07, Gualtier Malde <> wrote:

    > I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 in Windows 2000. I have my mail controls set not
    > to retrieve messages automatically.
    >
    > So I open TB and get messages and do a bunch of other things, and about 10
    > minutes afterward, regardless what I am doing, I will hear the "mail download"
    > sound and a small envelope shows up on the status bar. If I put the cursor over
    > it the message is "New mail in local folders". Now it has become routine to go
    > to Local Folders and click on the (empty) Inbox. That removes the little
    > envelope. I looked around and didn't see anything I could adjust to affect that
    > ritual.
    >
    > Today, about 10 minutes after that, it happened again. It isn't awful, but now
    > I am curious about what is happening. So... what is happening?

    Do you have your Junk Mail controls enabled? Perhaps the new message was
    judged to be spam and sent to the Junk folder (or wherever you send your
    spam).

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Sep 7, 2007
  5. Gualtier Malde wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Gualtier Malde wrote:
    >>> Hi -
    >>>
    >>> I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 in Windows 2000. I have my mail
    >>> controls set not to retrieve messages automatically.
    >>>
    >>> So I open TB and get messages and do a bunch of other things, and
    >>> about 10 minutes afterward, regardless what I am doing, I will hear
    >>> the "mail download" sound and a small envelope shows up on the status
    >>> bar. If I put the cursor over it the message is "New mail in local
    >>> folders". Now it has become routine to go to Local Folders and click
    >>> on the (empty) Inbox. That removes the little envelope. I looked
    >>> around and didn't see anything I could adjust to affect that ritual.
    >>>
    >>> Today, about 10 minutes after that, it happened again. It isn't
    >>> awful, but now I am curious about what is happening. So... what is
    >>> happening?
    >>> Chuck

    >> if you click on Get Messages [or get mail] does any mail download? If
    >> so, then its doing exactly what its supposed to do. Its telling you
    >> there are messages on the server. The 10 minutes is what you have TB set
    >> to look at or download new messages at interval
    >>

    > Thanks for replying, but Nope: My server settings for both POP accounts (mine
    > and my wife's) are unchecked for all the message retrieval boxes. I do have
    > mine checked not to delete messages from server for 2 days but that shouldn't
    > apply here.
    >
    > When I click "Get Mail" in either account the new messages download into the
    > Inbox of the account. The only time I have had anything to do with "Local
    > Folders" is when dealing with newsgroups (Draft, Sent, Trash, Unsent...). And
    > there are no messages in the "Local Folders > Inbox" when the little icon shows
    > up and the little sun icon is on the "Local Folders" icon. It may be 10
    > minutes- I haven't timed it accurately - and certainly that is the default
    > message check schedule, but it should not be operating unless there is some
    > place besides "Account Settings" I haven't checked.

    I'm referring to the "Check for new messages every xxx
    minutes." Its checking and its notifying you of new
    messages on the server. And its telling you which account
    has the new messages.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Sep 7, 2007
  6. Gualtier Malde

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Gualtier Malde wrote:
    > Hi -
    >
    > I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 in Windows 2000. I have my mail controls
    > set not to retrieve messages automatically.
    >
    > So I open TB and get messages and do a bunch of other things, and about
    > 10 minutes afterward, regardless what I am doing, I will hear the "mail
    > download" sound and a small envelope shows up on the status bar. If I
    > put the cursor over it the message is "New mail in local folders". Now
    > it has become routine to go to Local Folders and click on the (empty)
    > Inbox. That removes the little envelope. I looked around and didn't
    > see anything I could adjust to affect that ritual.
    >
    > Today, about 10 minutes after that, it happened again. It isn't awful,
    > but now I am curious about what is happening. So... what is happening?
    > Chuck

    Or, it might be Windows XP.

    http://www.adelaider.com/?thread=7568

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Sep 8, 2007
  7. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Gualtier Malde wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> if you click on Get Messages [or get mail] does any mail download?
    >>> If so, then its doing exactly what its supposed to do. Its telling
    >>> you there are messages on the server. The 10 minutes is what you have
    >>> TB set to look at or download new messages at interval
    >>>

    >> Thanks for replying, but Nope: My server settings for both POP
    >> accounts (mine and my wife's) are unchecked for all the message
    >> retrieval boxes. I do have mine checked not to delete messages from
    >> server for 2 days but that shouldn't apply here.
    >>
    >> When I click "Get Mail" in either account the new messages download
    >> into the Inbox of the account. The only time I have had anything to
    >> do with "Local Folders" is when dealing with newsgroups (Draft, Sent,
    >> Trash, Unsent...). And there are no messages in the "Local Folders >
    >> Inbox" when the little icon shows up and the little sun icon is on the
    >> "Local Folders" icon. It may be 10 minutes- I haven't timed it
    >> accurately - and certainly that is the default message check schedule,
    >> but it should not be operating unless there is some place besides
    >> "Account Settings" I haven't checked.

    > I'm referring to the "Check for new messages every xxx minutes." Its
    > checking and its notifying you of new messages on the server. And its
    > telling you which account has the new messages.

    No - That's what I meant about "message retrieval boxes", the top 4 boxes are
    all unchecked including the one for checking anything, much less downloading.
    "Local Folders" has no Server Settings. So if "Check for messages..." is doing
    that, it's without my permission.

    Best wishes,

    Gualtier Malde, Sep 9, 2007
  8. John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2007-09-07, Gualtier Malde <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 in Windows 2000. I have my mail controls set not
    >> to retrieve messages automatically.
    >>
    >> So I open TB and get messages and do a bunch of other things, and about 10
    >> minutes afterward, regardless what I am doing, I will hear the "mail download"
    >> sound and a small envelope shows up on the status bar. If I put the cursor over
    >> it the message is "New mail in local folders". Now it has become routine to go
    >> to Local Folders and click on the (empty) Inbox. That removes the little
    >> envelope. I looked around and didn't see anything I could adjust to affect that
    >> ritual.
    >>
    >> Today, about 10 minutes after that, it happened again. It isn't awful, but now
    >> I am curious about what is happening. So... what is happening?

    > Do you have your Junk Mail controls enabled? Perhaps the new message was
    > judged to be spam and sent to the Junk folder (or wherever you send your
    > spam).

    I do have Junk Mail controls enabled, but with my "Check for messages and
    Download" boxes unchecked, there shouldn't be any messages coming in any time I
    don't initiate a download. In addition, my email account is with a POP server
    and before a week or so ago, as now, those messages go into Inbox (and
    subfolders via filters) when I call a download. Since nothing is in any of the
    local folders (except Sent) when I open them, I can't tell where a message might
    be from.

    It's still amusing, and not irritating. But it is still a puzzle.

    Gualtier Malde, Sep 9, 2007
  9. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Gualtier Malde wrote:
    >> Hi -
    >>
    >> I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 in Windows 2000. I have my mail
    >> controls set not to retrieve messages automatically.
    >>
    >> So I open TB and get messages and do a bunch of other things, and
    >> about 10 minutes afterward, regardless what I am doing, I will hear
    >> the "mail download" sound and a small envelope shows up on the status
    >> bar. If I put the cursor over it the message is "New mail in local
    >> folders". Now it has become routine to go to Local Folders and click
    >> on the (empty) Inbox. That removes the little envelope. I looked
    >> around and didn't see anything I could adjust to affect that ritual.
    >>
    >> Today, about 10 minutes after that, it happened again. It isn't
    >> awful, but now I am curious about what is happening. So... what is
    >> happening?
    >> Chuck

    > Or, it might be Windows XP.
    >
    > http://www.adelaider.com/?thread=7568

    Thanks. I have Windows 2000 but will keep the link

    Gualtier Malde, Sep 9, 2007