    or earplugs? Can anyone suggest what to look for and where?

    TIA,
    Crash.

    Crash, Jan 2, 2006

  2. Crash

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Crash wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I tried using the DVD player on my laptop to play a DVD on a flight to
    > Oz and found the available full volume was insufficient to comfortably
    > hear the soundtrack in the plane. I normally use amplified speakers and
    > find when the volume on the laptop is set full the volume on the
    > speakers seems to be about 3/10 or so of the maximum setting to hear
    > sound comfortably.

    You may be using inefficient or badly fitting headphones, and aircraft
    are a very noisy environment for listening in. A better approach would
    be to look at some form of sound isolation to reduce aircraft noise -
    either larger headphones designed for this, or earplug type phones.

    Just boosting the audio with an amplifier presents a very real risk of
    permanent hearing damage if you are not careful.

    -=rjh=-, Jan 2, 2006

  3. Crash

    David Guest

    Crash wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I tried using the DVD player on my laptop to play a DVD on a flight to
    > Oz and found the available full volume was insufficient to comfortably
    > hear the soundtrack in the plane. I normally use amplified speakers and
    > find when the volume on the laptop is set full the volume on the
    > speakers seems to be about 3/10 or so of the maximum setting to hear
    > sound comfortably.
    >
    > I am therefore wondering if I can buy a small audio amplifier to use
    > here - that will use boost the audio signal from the laptop 3.5 mm audio
    > output to a headset or earplugs? Can anyone suggest what to look for
    > and where?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Crash.

    You might want to try some of those noise cancelling headphones; AFAIK
    they have built-in amplifiers, and the noise cancelling means less
    amplification is necessary, especially with constant background noise
    like in a plane. Otherwise some in-ear earplugs can be loud with low
    input, but I don't like wearing these, and I can't see how they can be
    good for your hearing.

    David, Jan 2, 2006
  4. "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I tried using the DVD player on my laptop to play a DVD on a flight to Oz
    > and found the available full volume was insufficient to comfortably hear
    > the soundtrack in the plane. I normally use amplified speakers and find
    > when the volume on the laptop is set full the volume on the speakers seems
    > to be about 3/10 or so of the maximum setting to hear sound comfortably.
    >
    > I am therefore wondering if I can buy a small audio amplifier to use
    > here - that will use boost the audio signal from the laptop 3.5 mm audio
    > output to a headset or earplugs? Can anyone suggest what to look for and
    > where?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Crash.

    What software are you using to play dvd's ? Make sure you haven't optioned
    to enjoy the full dynamic range, 'cause that'll cost you volume...

    Cheers

    ShuckItAnShee, Jan 8, 2006