    (display mode resolutions etc). Whereas the Mac hardware was able to change
    completely over the subsequent years, while still maintaining the ability
    to run a lot of the older software.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 2, 2007

  2. In article <f8s7ju$eca$>, _zealand
    says...

    > My verdict (as a complete Mac fanatic at the time): the Amiga had innovative
    > hardware, but lousy software. While the Mac had great software, though the
    > hardware of the early models (circa 1985) was pathetic.
    >
    > The result was that one went to the wall, while the other went from strength
    > to strength. A point which not many people appreciated around that time was
    > that hardware would come and go, while software would keep running on and
    > on. Later Amiga models tried to introduce newer hardware, but the platform
    > found itself stymied by the need to remain compatible with older software
    > (display mode resolutions etc). Whereas the Mac hardware was able to change
    > completely over the subsequent years, while still maintaining the ability
    > to run a lot of the older software.

    There are completely different views on this. For example: Commodore Business
    Machines didn't move in the right direction. After the C 2000 which was
    basically a PC style computer with expansinon cards (you could even plug in pc
    cards and bridge between the pc side and the Amiga side) they came out with the
    1200 which had no expansion options worthy of the name. And the 4000 that was
    so overpriced that nobody could afford it. To top it all off, they then sunk a
    lot of money into developing a console, unfortunately they did so before
    anybody else, and the time wasn't right, nobody wanted a console. Then they
    became insolvent, largely due to entirely unrelated issues, end of story.

    If they'd had more vision and developed the A2000 further, and held off on that
    console thingy, Amigas might still be a force today. Who knows. Ataris aren't,
    either.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 2, 2007

  3. In message <>, Peter Huebner
    wrote:

    > If they'd had more vision and developed the A2000 further, and held off on
    > that console thingy, Amigas might still be a force today. Who knows.
    > Ataris aren't, either.

    The Atari ST machines had a niche for a while as a low-cost music-production
    system, because of their built-in MIDI interface.

    Anyway, one Amiga-originated idea that I still think about these days is IFF
    <http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/power/library/pa-spec16/?ca=dgr-lnxw07IFF>.
    The writer of that article doesn't seem to think XML is much of an
    improvement.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 3, 2007
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Part 1 of a new series at Ars Technica:
    > <http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/a-history-of-the-amiga-part-1.ars>.
    >
    > My verdict (as a complete Mac fanatic at the time): the Amiga had innovative
    > hardware, but lousy software. While the Mac had great software, though the
    > hardware of the early models (circa 1985) was pathetic.
    >
    > The result was that one went to the wall, while the other went from strength
    > to strength. A point which not many people appreciated around that time was
    > that hardware would come and go, while software would keep running on and
    > on. Later Amiga models tried to introduce newer hardware, but the platform
    > found itself stymied by the need to remain compatible with older software
    > (display mode resolutions etc). Whereas the Mac hardware was able to change
    > completely over the subsequent years, while still maintaining the ability
    > to run a lot of the older software.

    Interesting Blast from the Past. I Sold my Amiga In 1998 It was in daily
    use till then. I still miss the thing, it was a A1200 with 8Mb extra ram
    and a 850Mb Hard drive. Amiga did the fast user interface and it just
    worked. I know From today's standards It may seem outdated. It is beter
    in my memory than having one in front of me, That way my recolections
    can apply the rose tinted galses and I cant disprove it. :) Nice Link...

    Robert Cooze, Aug 6, 2007
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    XPD Guest

    "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message
    > Interesting Blast from the Past. I Sold my Amiga In 1998 It was in daily
    > use till then. I still miss the thing, it was a A1200 with 8Mb extra ram
    > and a 850Mb Hard drive. Amiga did the fast user interface and it just
    > worked. I know From today's standards It may seem outdated. It is beter in
    > my memory than having one in front of me, That way my recolections can
    > apply the rose tinted galses and I cant disprove it. :) Nice Link...

    Yeah I was using mine daily until 98/99 when the A530 unit packed up :(
    Still have the 120mb SCSI drive from it in front of me right now, going to
    plug it in and hopefully get the data off it - all my BBS stuff is on it
    along with mods etc...
    XPD, Aug 6, 2007
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message

    > "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message
    >> Interesting Blast from the Past. I Sold my Amiga In 1998 It was in daily
    >> use till then. I still miss the thing, it was a A1200 with 8Mb extra ram
    >> and a 850Mb Hard drive. Amiga did the fast user interface and it just
    >> worked. I know From today's standards It may seem outdated. It is beter
    >> in my memory than having one in front of me, That way my recolections can
    >> apply the rose tinted galses and I cant disprove it. :) Nice Link...

    > Yeah I was using mine daily until 98/99 when the A530 unit packed up :(
    > Still have the 120mb SCSI drive from it in front of me right now, going to
    > plug it in and hopefully get the data off it - all my BBS stuff is on it
    > along with mods etc...

    Ah but did you have the full aminet collection on cd?
    Craig Sutton, Aug 7, 2007
  7. Part 2:
    <http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/a-history-of-the-amiga-part-2.ars>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 14, 2007
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Aug 14, 10:33 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Part 2:
    > <http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/a-history-of-the-amiga-part-2...>.

    Just when it gets interesting......"Part 3 next week" Aaaaarrgghh

    I have just ordered On The Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of
    Commodore (http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Spectacular-Rise-Fall-Commodore/
    dp/0973864907). Hope it's good.
    Chris Lim, Aug 15, 2007
  9. Chris Lim <> wrote:

    > On Aug 14, 10:33 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > > Part 2:
    > > <http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/a-history-of-the-amiga-part-2...>.

    > Just when it gets interesting......"Part 3 next week" Aaaaarrgghh
    >
    > I have just ordered On The Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of
    > Commodore (http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Spectacular-Rise-Fall-Commodore/
    > dp/0973864907). Hope it's good.

    Hi - URLs should be surrounded by angle brackets - e.g.
    <http://www.exampleurl.com/> - if you want a long URL to work when
    broken across two lines.
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Aug 16, 2007
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Aug 16, 12:22 pm, (Jamie Kahn Genet)
    wrote:
    > Hi - URLs should be surrounded by angle brackets - e.g.
    > <http://www.exampleurl.com/> - if you want a long URL to work when
    > broken across two lines.

    Thanks. The link in my post should be: <http://www.amazon.com/Edge-
    Spectacular-Rise-Fall-Commodore/dp/0973864907>
    Chris Lim, Aug 16, 2007
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Aug 16, 12:42 pm, Chris Lim <> wrote:
    > On Aug 16, 12:22 pm, (Jamie Kahn Genet)
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi - URLs should be surrounded by angle brackets - e.g.
    > > <http://www.exampleurl.com/> - if you want a long URL to work when
    > > broken across two lines.

    > Thanks. The link in my post should be: <http://www.amazon.com/Edge-
    > Spectacular-Rise-Fall-Commodore/dp/0973864907>

    Okay that didn't work... what did I do wrong?
    Chris Lim, Aug 16, 2007
  12. In message <>, Chris
    Lim wrote:

    > On Aug 16, 12:42 pm, Chris Lim <> wrote:
    >> On Aug 16, 12:22 pm, (Jamie Kahn Genet)
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi - URLs should be surrounded by angle brackets - e.g.
    >> > <http://www.exampleurl.com/> - if you want a long URL to work when
    >> > broken across two lines.

    >> Thanks. The link in my post should be: <http://www.amazon.com/Edge-
    >> Spectacular-Rise-Fall-Commodore/dp/0973864907>

    > Okay that didn't work... what did I do wrong?

    Probably your newsreader insists on wrapping long lines, even if it means
    breaking URLs. I use KNode, which doesn't do that, e.g.

    <http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Spectacular-Rise-Fall-Commodore/dp/0973864907>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 16, 2007
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Aug 16, 1:13 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Probably your newsreader insists on wrapping long lines, even if it means
    > breaking URLs. I use KNode, which doesn't do that, e.g.
    >
    > <http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Spectacular-Rise-Fall-Commodore/dp/0973864907>

    Ah. Google Groups strikes again...!
    Chris Lim, Aug 16, 2007
  14. Chris Lim <> wrote:

    > On Aug 16, 1:13 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > > Probably your newsreader insists on wrapping long lines, even if it means
    > > breaking URLs. I use KNode, which doesn't do that, e.g.
    > >
    > > <http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Spectacular-Rise-Fall-Commodore/dp/0973864907>

    > Ah. Google Groups strikes again...!

    Huh. You'd think they'd support a long standing convention like angle
    brackets around URLs.

    Anyway, I just placed an order for this book from my local bookshop.
    Cheers for bringing it to my attention, Chris :)

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    --
    If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Aug 16, 2007
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Aug 2, 9:22 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Part 1 of a new series at Ars Technica:
    > <http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/a-history-of-the-amiga-part-1...>.

    Part 3's out: <http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/a-history-of-
    the-amiga-part-3.ars>

    (sorry if the link gets broken across 2 lines... blame Google Groups!)
    Chris Lim, Aug 22, 2007
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Aug 22, 5:12 pm, Chris Lim <> wrote:
    > On Aug 2, 9:22 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > > Part 1 of a new series at Ars Technica:
    > > <http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/a-history-of-the-amiga-part-1...>.

    > Part 3's out: <http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/a-history-of-
    > the-amiga-part-3.ars>
    >
    > (sorry if the link gets broken across 2 lines... blame Google Groups!)

    Okay about this:

    http://tinyurl.com/3ce2qt
    Chris Lim, Aug 22, 2007
  17. Chris Lim <> wrote:

    > On Aug 2, 9:22 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > > Part 1 of a new series at Ars Technica:
    > > <http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/a-history-of-the-amiga-part-1...>.

    > Part 3's out: <http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/a-history-of-
    > the-amiga-part-3.ars>
    >
    > (sorry if the link gets broken across 2 lines... blame Google Groups!)

    I just clicked on it and it worked fine for me with the angle brackets
    you used :)

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Aug 24, 2007